Go Pitbull Forums banner

Change in DSM vicious breed ordinance (Iowa)

8K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  kcamp89 
#1 ·
Monday night, the Des Moines City Council voted to change the city's vicious breed ordinance.

Under the old law, a pit bull is automatically considered vicious, even if it has never hurt anyone. Owners must have insurance and the dog always has to be on a leash or in a special confined space. If the owner is caught violating the ordinance twice, the dog will be put down.

Under the amendment, a dog that's vicious by breed won't be put down. Instead, the Animal Rescue League will determine if it can be adopted.

This ordinance got a lot of attention because of the Fritz family and their dog Smokey. They didn't follow the ordinance, but fought to keep Smokey alive.

It's been a long month for Jessica Fritz and her family without their dog Smokey.

"Terrible, my kids still say Smokey's in heaven because from the beginning they told me I have no other option but euthanizing, that's it," said Smokey's owner Jessica Fritz.

Smokey was taken from their home after they were caught not following the ordinance. But Jessica and her family didn't want that him to be put down.

They went across Des Moines and got 300 people to sign a petition saying this law isn't fair. Then they put up flyers in as many stores as they could. The Fritz's want as many people to hear their story as possible.

"The more people we got involved the bigger it got and the more people are talking about it. We has actually soldiers that are in Afghanistan calling," said Fritz.

They told everyone to call the city council and let them know they want this ordinance changed.

Right now Smokey is still at the Animal Rescue League and is fine. He was going to be euthanized, but the city council put that on hold until they could look at this law.

"Either way I'm glad that he's not going to be put to sleep, hopefully he can make someone else happy, but I mean I really want him back," said Jessica's husband Shawn Fritz.

"At least I know that I saved his life, or we all did, it wasn't just me," said Jessica.

Smokey will now be evaluated and the ARL will decide who adopts him. But Smokey's owners won't get him back. Under the amendment old owners and people who live with them can't adopt the dog. If somehow the dog ends up back in that home, it will be seized and euthanized.

See less See more
#2 ·
Under the old law, a pit bull is automatically considered vicious, even if it has never hurt anyone. Owners must have insurance and the dog always has to be on a leash or in a special confined space. If the owner is caught violating the ordinance twice, the dog will be put down.
Well deaming the pit bulls vicious is stupid and wrong but the bolded part is actually what responsible pit bull owners should be doing anyway. Putting the dog down should not be the solution the owner should get jail/fine time since its a law and they are breaking it the dog cant really put a leash on himself.

#3 ·
Well deaming the pit bulls vicious is stupid and wrong but the bolded part is actually what responsible pit bull owners should be doing anyway. Putting the dog down should not be the solution the owner should get jail/fine time since its a law and they are breaking it the dog cant really put a leash on himself.
Agreed!!!:goodpost:

There are more responsible owners than irresponsible ones in the country, but the actions of the negligent overshadow those of the good. The punishment should be based on the deed and not the breed; stiffer penalties for reckless owners should be enforced as well.

#4 ·
What a stupid law! The dog is the one being punished all the way. Irresponsible people aren't having to suffer any consequences for their actions. I think theystill need a new ordinance because this one doesn't make any sense. Yes the Fritz' shouldn't have broken the law but it seems some good has come from their mistake. I hope Smokey finds a good forever home with responsible owner.

#5 ·
well the owner of Smokey had been trying to get word out, apparently the way the media told the story isn't quiet accurate. Her family is from West Des Moines, and they don't have the same regulations as we do in Des Moines. Well she was visiting her mother here in Des Moines and a neighbor called the animal control complaining about their being a pit bull in the neighborhood, and since she was in Des Moines just VISITING they said the dog still needed to go by their regulations the took him and were going to put him to sleep but thankfully his owners weren't having it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.