Go Pitbull Forums banner

Weimaraner or Blue nose?

26K views 39 replies 22 participants last post by  MamaTank 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everybody,
i recently adopted my dog koba at the animal shelter. They told me he was a blue pitbull... but a couple of people have asked me if hes a weimaraner... im cropping his ears on wednesday and i dont wanna crop if he is a weimaraner... plz reply asap... oh and if u could explain how to post pics of my dog that would help a lot

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
well Blue is just a color, not a breed, without papers you can never really tell what you have, so just love the dog and go from there. If you like the look of a crop, get a crop, not all Pit Bulls have a crop, so it doesn't really matter if it is or isn't, a crop is your decision. Cute pup BTW

#3 ·
With the shape of those ears he very well could be a weimaraner and not a pit bull, but until he matures more it would be hard to say for sure. If he is a mix of multiple breeds he could resemble either as well.

#6 ·
The weimeriners I have met have this absolutely silky soft coat like I have never felt on any other dog { well actually our friends have a neo mastiff with a similar coat } I think that is one of the things that breed is known for so that may give you a clue. Otherwise like mentioned above hard to tell for sure especially if its mixed. Im with the post above though would like to see some better pictures in natural light and from the side standing up. Its a really cute pup regardless of the breed :)

#7 ·
weim's have yellow eyes too

#9 ·
LOl dont let the ears fool you , Luna had ears like that we called her donkey till they got cropped lol. The head shape in the 2nd pic looks diff to me though then the typical pit bull head shape.
Lunas Donkey ears LOL

#10 ·
Looks like more weimeraner to me especially with the longer muzzle as well as the long ears. Surprised no one cared to ask why you are cropping a shelter dogs ears in the first place? Isn't that against adoption rules? I would be more concerned with having him neutered since he is a rescue and not a purebred. He is a cutie pie though :)

#13 ·
not sure if i did this right... but ya he is from the animal shelter... and hes already neutered... im not really sure about the rules for ear cropping with the animal shelter... but they said they would come to the house to check if he was outside (which he never is unless its to use the restroom n eat) and they havent... but today when i get home ill take a pic of him in the sun

#15 ·
he does favor a weimaraner... the snout is longer.. hes adorable though!!! youll definately be able to tell when it gets older :D

#17 ·
hey everyone thank u for ur posts... i went to the vet today and the vet told me he was a pit... the clerk told me the vet was a pitbull expert... again thank u everyone... i will be introducing koba sometime tomorrow so i can take some new photos

#18 ·
"pitbull expert" ,eh? LMFAO!
Then he surely should have told you that dog is a mutt.
May have pit in him but without papers you have a mutt.

Don't take that negative, I own 2 mutts but I also own a papered APBT and that my friend is not a pure blood anything. An adorable pup,but not pure.

#20 ·
Leave the ears he's animal shelter dog. FYI weimeraners are where blue labs come from. Looks iffy to me.

#22 ·
why can't you crop a dog from the shelter?? that makes no sense. My Revel was a rescue. I cropped her. Why does it matter where they come from???? breeder, BYB, rescue, shelter, craigslist. who cares. a crop isn't going to change a dog, just it's look.

#21 ·
if it is a shelter dog I have to go with pit mix. Wiems are not that common and for someone to have a litter and dump them at a shelter is not likely. Better pictures would help but I would say pit mix based on how common pits are and how uncommon wiems are.

#24 ·
im gonna laugh if his dog grows up true to the weim type( i agree not likely but crap happens). hell look goofy as hell lol

#25 ·
Waiste jmo cropping is for cosmetics only.. I don't clip ears but I had a jocko bitch from inbred hooch litter go to a guy in Afton Oklahoma that bred his dog to a German Weimer and the litter were intense hog dogs. But curs just the same. I've seen to many shelter pits that were mixed and ones that's not adopted out as something else. Cropping id all in ones own opinion however. I say what if you crop the dog and it looks like a dobbie hound mutt, just throwing something outher but its the same principle. As far as what it is looks like a mix of something or other

#26 ·
Aside from personal preference i really only think you should crop a dog if theres a purpose behind it.. Whether thats showing or feeling the need to crop the ears off a catch dog, PP dog, etc. It all boils down to ones opinion, some like it some don't.

Personally i agree with FH though, i don't really see a point in cropping the ears if you don't even really know what your feeding to begin with. What would be the point other than personal interest? To each their own, not my dog nor my money but i just don't really see a point.

#27 ·
Well...looks like I'm gonna be cropping my dogs ears. Not for any specific purpose other than they are looking uglier than a mother lover...got that wombat going on lol

#28 ·
LMAO that's funny poor Zorro!

I crop ears strictly for looks I hate seeing a nice looking dog with goofy ears but again it's all opinion. Lets not turn this into one of those crop threads....

If they like a cropped look go for it but maybe wait a little to make sure it is a pit bull type dog. A wiem with cropped ears would look silly ;)

#30 · (Edited)
:goodpost: @ lisa

There really is no rush. You can crop at any age...its just a matter of finding the vet that knows how to do it right

#31 · (Edited)
:goodpost: @ lisa

There really is no rush. You can crop at any age...its just a matter of finding the vet that knows how to do it right
The older they are the worse it is to crop. The cartilage starts to form and there a lot of reasons why you should not do it at any age. Its should be done before 18 weeks for the best results, least pain.

Vets are out to make money, just because you MIGHT find one who will do it when they are older, doesn't mean it a good idea.

#35 ·
I personally wouldn't crop a dog of likely mixed heritage. A guy many years ago wanted my pit/Akita mix when she was a puppy and was going to crop the ears. She would have looked retarded.

#36 ·
Who cares if its a pit or another breed? Totally up to you. I think cropped ears do not look good for the most part on any dog, let alone a pit bull. But that's just how I feel. That's why I say its up to you. If you like crops, get a crop, who cares what the breed is or where it is from? What does that matter? I don't think anything should be cropped ever, lol, and some of you who do crop and saying yes, but not if its a different breed. I don't get you crop lovers, if you like a crop, what does it matter what the breed is or where the dog is from? IMO all crops look funny. When the dogs don't develop til they are a few years old, you cant tell when they are young what it will look like anyway, its all in if you like the look or not right? so who cares what breed it is?

I don't like doberman's ears cropped because I think cropped ears are ugly. Doesn't matter if its a pit or a dobie, for those that like a crop why does it matter what kind of dog, especially if its not being shown and is just a pet? Why not go against the grain if you like a crop and do all your dogs? why just some?

#37 ·
I've always been curious what a cropped Golden Retriever would look like. ETA: You know what? Eff that. I say we should just start cropping all the Bassetts and Cockers of the world. Those ears are horrendous.

#38 · (Edited)
:rofl::rofl: if every dog had an ear crop they would be confused for a pit bull by AC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.