Go Pitbull Forums banner

How To Train A Pitbull To Not Eat From Anyone

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ichiban 
#1 ·
Hey, I've been doing some research lately on how to train my pitbull to not eat from anyone but me.

There isnt much information available on this topic so I'm hoping that maybe someone here with experience could share the knowledge.

The reason behind me needing to know this is that my pitbull (Taz), spends a lot of time out in the yard. He spends about 75 of his day roaming and sniffing around.

The problem though is that I live in Jamaica and even though my neighborhood rarely has any problems with thieves coming to see what they can get, it happens every now and then.

But with all the stories in the media about pitbulls mauling people to death, any thief thinking about coming into my yard to steal something would probably try to poison my dog first.

I would be devastated.

So for now, I need to know how to avoid this mess.

I've been thinking that maybe I could train him to ONLY eat from his bowl. So I've made it a point of duty to make sure that everything that Taz eats goes directly into his bowl. The challenge comes in now because I have a 2 year old daughter. She's constantly dropping food on the floor and Taz just gobbles it all up.

My next idea is to try to train him to only eat when I give the command to eat. So what I've been doing is having him sit before I put his bowl of food on the floor. When the bowl is on the floor, he cant touch it until I give him his command. This has been a challenge as I'm sure you can imagine but it's a work in progress.

This is all I've been able to come up with and I'm really not sure if any of these ideas will work??

Let me know if you have any other ideas or suggestions.

Thanks...

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey, I've been doing some research lately on how to train my pitbull to not eat from anyone but me.

There isnt much information available on this topic so I'm hoping that maybe someone here with experience could share the knowledge.

The reason behind me needing to know this is that my pitbull (Taz), spends a lot of time out in the yard. He spends about 75 of his day roaming and sniffing around.

The problem though is that I live in Jamaica and even though my neighborhood rarely has any problems with thieves coming to see what they can get, it happens every now and then.

But with all the stories in the media about pitbulls mauling people to death, any thief thinking about coming into my yard to steal something would probably try to poison my dog first.

I would be devastated.

So for now, I need to know how to avoid this mess.

I've been thinking that maybe I could train him to ONLY eat from his bowl. So I've made it a point of duty to make sure that everything that Taz eats goes directly into his bowl. The challenge comes in now because I have a 2 year old daughter. She's constantly dropping food on the floor and Taz just gobbles it all up.

My next idea is to try to train him to only eat when I give the command to eat. So what I've been doing is having him sit before I put his bowl of food on the floor. When the bowl is on the floor, he cant touch it until I give him his command. This has been a challenge as I'm sure you can imagine but it's a work in progress.

This is all I've been able to come up with and I'm really not sure if any of these ideas will work??

Let me know if you have any other ideas or suggestions.

Thanks...
I make Cain wait until both dog bowls are where they need to be. Both of my dogs do not eat unless given the ok by myself or my husband. With Cain if he went for his food before the ok I picked the bowl right back up. After 2 days he understood and now sits patiently and waits. This is where IMO basic obedience comes into play. Teach your dog wait so when food is present, you tell him to sit and wait. If food is dropped, wait comes in handy because you can tell him to wait. He will get it eventually. Our blue heeler lab mix will stop the instant we tell her to wait. It is the best thing I have taught my dogs. You can also train him to "leave it" which goes along with wait. For instance if my dogs are chasing something in the yard we yell leave it and they know to immediately stop and come back to us. So if your dog starts to go for dropped food tell him to leave it. Use the AT sound at him. Many use that. And my boy knows AT means its a no no and immediately stops what he was doing. Also if you're worried have you tried crate feeding him? He only eats from him bowl in his crate? Hope this helped some. If not sorry for rambling :)

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.