Go Pitbull Forums banner

Toy aggression?

4K views 28 replies 6 participants last post by  rabbit 
#1 ·
My pits try to kill each other when they fight over toys. I can't keep any toys out or they will fight, how do I go about this? They can eat out of the same bowl just fine, it's just their toys

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
Don't leave any toys out and I would recommend feeding them separately. Are they crate trained read up on crate and rotate if you don't already have info on it. So when both are out of their crates the toys are up but when their in their crates give them their fav toy. I don't even leave water down when my dogs are together and they have never fought but the key is prevention. When you take preventive measures these fights are less likely

#4 ·
Ok gotcha, now what about my female pit getting on my male pits nerves? She jumps on him and instigates fights, he's laid back and gets mad when she won't stop but idk how to get her to stop, and it doesn't seem to help any if I exercise her
What do you do when she starts bothering him? I would give a scary mean NO. Do they have crates? When she starts annoying him it's time to separate them. If you have doggy beds for them teach them how to "settle down" which means to go to their beds also teach them how to go into their crates on command its a huge help so when she gets to bothering him tell her settle down. its also cool for when you have company

#6 ·
I clap and say settle down but she doesn't listen, they both have crates but don't like going in them, I also have a gate to lock then in one room but she jumps over it
Okay well them not listening means you're in for a treat I think you should some basic obedience settle down, sit, stay and also work on crate training. I know it sounds like a lot but in the end your family will be better off. so first start with getting them to love their crates. For now on I recommend feeding them in their crates. I'm sure they're threads on here on crate training your dogs search the forum for them.

#8 ·
No, no no when I brought up training I wasn't telling you to hire a trainer I personally suggest you should train them yourself. It's not as hard as it seems and it's rewarding. Go on youtube and look up some tutorials
Settle down

stay
eHow Pets - YouTube

Sit

These are all good videos to help you train your dog there are millions more on youtube plus great advice throughout this forum you owe it to your dogs to give it a shot.

#12 ·
Chelsea, it's not as hard as it may sound. She just needs to know you're in charge. I had the same problem w Boy when I brought him home. But I'll say "hey hey!!" Or "Boy NO" and he immediately backs off. Be assertive. Let her know you're the boss. That's the main key to getting pits to obey. They gotta know they're not in charge. If they think they are they'll take advantage and manipulate. I've been working w dogs for a long time. And NEVER leave toys or food out. Period. Like they said its about prevention. Resource guarding (the toy thing) is a big problem of my Boys too!! It WILL cause a fight and one time you may not be able to do anything. Crate training is a must. Settle is a must. Basic obedience will change the whole feng Sui of your home. Things will go so much smoother.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#23 · (Edited)
Why are they allowed to touch shoes in the first place? I would think shoes would be off limits.

Tire them out; take them for a long walk, then take them out individually to run, play fetch, burn energy.

Then put them both in their crates with a frozen kong.

After that do some basic training; maybe some impulse control work - work on leave it, doggy zen, Karen Overall's relaxation protocol:
http://www.dogdaysnw.com/doc/OverallRelaxationProtocol.pdf
http://www.brisbeethewhite.com/id37.htm

Untrained, young dogs, in my opinion - are like rabid toddlers...you have to orchestrate every move for them and you can't turn your back for a second. You don't have to be harsh or punative; just firm, clear and completely consistent. It's allot of work in the beginning; dogs like children will not raise themselves; and if they do - generally doesn't turn out too well.

#25 ·
With their current behavior, I wouldn't allow them out of my sight. Maybe use a baby gate to separate them when you aren't directly supervising, or alternate 1 out 1 in crate w/ a frozen kong, 1 loose and 1 tethered to you...

Also now that you know shoes are triggers...just like toys...put them out of reach, in a closet or close the bedroom door. Think about what else could be a potential trigger and for now, get it out of the way.

Structure the environment in such a way that the dogs have no choice but to be good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.