Go Pitbull Forums banner

How much to feed??

Tags
feed
1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  performanceknls 
#1 ·
i have a 6 week old blue pit and he weighs 10lbs, im feeding him evo for now but going to change to orjien or acana not sure which one, but the bag says to feed him cup and half and that just seems like so much to me....anyone have any recommendations or input i would greatly app it.

#2 ·
Dog food feeding instructions tend to be on the heavy side since, you know, they're in the business of selling dog food and the more you feed the more you buy. As your pup gets older, you'll find that you probably don't have to feed quite as much as the bag says, but it all depends on your dog. Depending on your pup's activity level and metabolism, you'll have to adjust the amount you feed accordingly.

But while your pup is that young, I wouldn't worry too much about feeding him too much. At that age, while they're growing very quickly, you can feed him as much as the bag recommends. Try breaking the recommended 1.5 cups into three feedings of a 1/2 cup each, or two feeding of 3/4 cup each. If your pup doesn't finish what's in the bowl and walks away, just pick it up.

Good luck with the puppy

#3 ·
in your last thread you said you were feeding 1 cup 3x a day.
how does 1.5 cups seem too much?
the serving size on the packaging is not "per meal". it is a daily amount.
so i'm sure it means 1.5 cups per day. which is half of what you were feeding him on EVO.
my personal opinion is 1.5 to 1.75 cups per day for a dog that age.

#4 ·
All those foods are really rich foods, I guess everything we said in the last thread meant nothing..... your pup is young let me eat what he wants... I would say at least 2 cups a day for a growing pup. Then he will go through a stage where he won't eat as much. that's normal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.