Go Pitbull Forums banner

Examples of structure and faults

94K views 265 replies 80 participants last post by  ::::COACH:::: 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This thread will show examples of structure the good and the bad. So this thread does not get out of control with pictures of everyones dogs there will only be a few dogs posted at a time. Feel free to comment the good and the bad you see on the dogs. Any posts with pictures that were not approved will be deleted, we want to focus on only a few dogs at a time and hopefully it should be educational and fun.

To offer photos please post here
http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/28793-photos-structure-faults.html

Here is a pictures that show different parts of a dogs body if you are not clear on what we are talking about.

I will start with dogs that show under the APBT standard

Tempest

Minor Faults
Tempest could use more drop in chest, her chest does not come all the way down to her elbows so it is a little shallow.

Her shoulders are a little straight and it does affect the way she turns in agility. Especially in UKC straight shoulders are becoming more common and breeders really need to pay attention to them because they effect the movement of the dogs.

Now the good parts of her structure
She is balanced overall and square
Nice head
Great front and pasterns everything straight and in line
Great angulation in the rear and nice tail set

See less See more
#205 ·
My boy isn't registered with any kennel club and I won't be showing him but I would love to hear some opinions :)
I know for a fact that he is a little short in the neck but I was wondering if he looks like he is lacking good rear angulation, I think he is.

#206 ·
How about opinions on my soon to be New dog? She is Indie's niece, and is 100 pts into her UKC CH, but needs majors. She was a year old in Dec., and these are pics from Nov.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#207 ·
How about opinions on my soon to be New dog? She is Indie's niece, and is 100 pts into her UKC CH, but needs majors. She was a year old in Dec., and these are pics from Nov.

I really like her over-all type. To pick at her, I'd like to see her chest a bit deeper (more filled in there between her front legs); and it's really hard to see her front end from that angle, but it appears it's set on a little too far forward; and the rear could use a bit more angulation.

She looks like a dog that can do things!

#212 ·
#213 ·
Mr Greenwood developed the ADBA standard by taking the pics of top Ch & Gr Ch's and then sat down with a number of the top dogmen of the day. They looked at what all these dogs had in common and averaged out a standard.
It is very hard to place a standard that applies to all dogs(and that wasn't the goal)it was just to have some sort of guideline to follow, based on the structural similarities that some of the best had in common. An overall view is looked at, which brings together a myriad of structural types and in turn reverts back to "structural integrity will show in the performance"

What some look at as a fault or a deficit, others look at as a small piece of the whole pie, that can be enhanced or compensated for with work. I am NOT, however, speaking of deformaties

#215 ·
RobT, it is difficult to give an evaluation from those angles.

Your best chance for an evaluation would be to get Wrigley to stand and then take a picture level with his side. So that you can his exact shape. Then tak one from that same level but look at him head on.

#220 ·
Hello! Well we could evaluate him as an Amstaff, APBT or American Bully. If you don't know his breed its ok we can do it based on what he closest resembles of the three, which to me would be more of an American Staffordshire. Anyway, he has nice tight feet, chest is at the elbow so that is where it should be, he does looks a little too long and his rear is a little high.
Still a very handsome boy! And I love his ears!

#221 ·
Thanks for the response and the compliments! We bought him as a pet only and were told he was an APBT but I wasn't sure about that. The first trainer we took him to wanted us to get papers and train him for shows. I, personally, am not interested in that but I wanted to see if he was a good representation of the breed.
I would like to get him involved in some contests or something that will help to keep him active and mentally stimulated though. I love his ears too!

#222 ·
Yeah he doesn't have the best conformation...but still a handsome pet! most APBTs arenot blue either,blue is typically more of an American Bully or Amstaff color.

#226 ·
Lol yes to both of you :p but ive seen way worse! TC he probably isn't as bad as ya think, could be the angle of the picture. I love a nice angulated rear, but I also can't stand OVER angulated rears, those are just as bad as straighter ones.

#228 ·
Yes you are right with her! However the dog is comfortable to stand tells us what their structure is truly like. Best seen when gaiting...Some folks in the show ring have to literal hold their dog in the air barely hovering over the ground to hide faults. I just let mine stand naturally. :) of course I watch out for high and low spots and such or if the dog is standing out of the ordinary ill fix it. :p

#230 ·
Rear angulation...Lucius is pretty decent. Tandie has the best of my crew.

See how even though her leg is extended, it's still angulated? That's nice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.