Go Pitbull Forums banner

My Pitbull is a what?

Tags
pitbull
2K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  BullyGal 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,
I recently adopted a pitbull mix, and I am curious what she might be mixed with. I can't afford any DNA testing at the moment and was wondering is anyone could take a guess. A woman at the dog trail said she looked like she might have some "catahoula" in her. She does look like she might have some sort of hound in her. Thanks for any guesses. Also, I'm not sure how much bigger/heavier she will get. She looks small for a pit, but whatever she is mixed with might be keeping her smaller.

See less See more
#2 ·
DNA testing wouldn't tell you her breed, those aren't very accurate and there's no way to tell by looking at a dog what breed it is. A lot of mutts can look purebred and purebred can look like mutts. I would just tell people you don't know but probably a pit mix. She doesn't look small for an APBT though, most females are 30-50 pounds, they are not a large breed dog. I don't see hound or catahoula fwiw.

#12 ·
DNA testing wouldn't tell you her breed, those aren't very accurate and there's no way to tell by looking at a dog what breed it is. A lot of mutts can look purebred and purebred can look like mutts. I would just tell people you don't know but probably a pit mix. She doesn't look small for an APBT though, most females are 30-50 pounds, they are not a large breed dog. I don't see hound or catahoula fwiw.
Agree with the above part I've edited.
Other than that, who really knows what you have, the people on this forum don't really know what you have either. She's your dog so I'd say call her what you want as long as you say you're not entirely sure and you think it's a mix :) "Pit Bulls" are a tough breed to actually know for sure whether or not it's full blooded and if it is mixed, what it's mixed with. Even papers aren't a sure bet to know what you have, but makes a lot of people feel better. ;)
In any case she's a pretty girl. :)

#3 ·
Like stated above its impossible to know for sure, but I DO see hound-- totally has the hound body :)

#5 ·
Call your dog an "American Shelter Dog" or "Mutt"

#7 ·
Welcome to the forum!Like as already stated there is no way to tell the breed or breeds of a dog by looking at it.Many claim to be able to do it but there is just no way.There are about a dozen breeds that get mistaken for apbt's by their looks.
Don't bother waisting your money on dna testing,they're not very accurate.Just call your dog what it is.A mixed or unknown breed.I have a couple of those myself.They are wonderful dogs!
No reason to not stay around though and read up while you're here.You have a good looking dog and I look forward to seeing you around!:thumbsup:

#9 ·
You do not have a pit bull.
Looks like a boxer mutt to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.