Go Pitbull Forums banner

Dog is a drama queen (leash pulling)

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  performanceknls 
#1 ·
We have a 5.5 month old staffy, great dog, but she is strong as hell and loves to pull on the leash to the point of choking herself. We tried a traditional harness which is pointless; she just pulls harder because there's no neck resistance. We tried the gentle leader for about a month and she rubs her face on the ground while walking to the point of bleeding, so that's out. We just bought a prong collar and are wondering if this is our last option... Anyone have any advice for a strong willed puller?

#7 ·
No pull harness and any type of collar that goes on the face of the dog are dangerous and I do not allow them when I teach classes. They twist the neck or shoulders of the dog causing problems down the road with the spine and neck. Talk to a chiropractic vet and they will tell the problems don the road dogs have with them. They do not teach the dog not to pull they just make it uncomfortable. It's better to teach them not to pull in the first place. A prong collar if put on and sized correctly can be a great walking tool for someone who wants a quick fix. If you have problems with it after putting it on your dog then ask there are different ways to use a prong so it's not so corrective.

Here are a few articles on halti's and no pull harness
I agree with this trainer and why I do not allow them in my classes. If someone really wants to use one I will refund their money.
A Not So Gentle Leader - Canada's Guide to Dogs - Training

We had another great article about them with actual data about dogs getting injured but I can't find it! UGH sorry! The bottom line is they can injury your dog.

#3 ·
Breeze was that way also but I kept,him on the traditional harness and worked with him. For like a week every walk we barely went 60 ft in any direction down the side walk because every time the leash got tight I turned around waited for him to sit and then stood in front of him said "good boy" ,and proceeded to walk again. He got frustrated at first but eventually he learned to keep close to me. So how often do you walk him and do you allow him to pull you the whole walk?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#4 ·
If you use the prong it MUST be fitted correctly in order to recieve the reaction you want with minimal stimuli.

Leerburg Dog Training | How to Fit a Prong Collar

I use it with my girl who was a puller, and after one corrective pop she hardly pulled again. Now sometimes I don't even use it unless we will be in a high traffic area.

#6 ·
prong collar will do wonders. kenya used to pull with every other method, and now she walks just fine.... its not cruel so dont let people scare you. kenya sees her prong collar and leash and gets sooo excited now hahaha... just make sure it fits properly and only use it for walks....

#9 ·
I wouldn't put a prong on a puppy till they are 8 months or so. When they are small there are other ways to correct them and one is to pop the leash on just a regular collar when they pull. Your pup is way too small now but when she is about 4-5 months that's a good time to really start working on pulling with a pop on a flat collar. Meaning just a buckle or snap collar.

#11 ·
I am not a fan of prong collars, because pit bull are known to be very pain tolerant and will pull themselves to death if you let them. I had an 85 pound powerhouse who would pull the entire walk no matter what kind of walking technique or prong collar I put on him. Sometimes to the point where his neck would start bleeding. Haulti harnesses worked the best for me. They go around the front of the dogs chest and tip him off balance when he pulls. They learn pretty quick after a few minutes and they don't get hurt in the process.

#12 ·
If your dog was bleeding and didn't stop pulling then you had the wrong size prong collar and obviously did not use the equipment correctly. As a trainer for the last 17 years I have never had a dog bleed from proper use of a prong collar. I have and continue to see dogs injured by halti's and no pull harnesses. They do not simple tip the dog off balance, a dog who pulls hard jerks their neck or shoulders out of alignment cause damage to the spine. This is not something I would call "humane" this is just what Fur mommies like to think of as Humane because they are uneducated about the facts. I think a Halti can work on a small number of dogs who will pull once and not test it again but for the majority of dogs it is useless.

Oh and your comment on pits that will pull themselves to death?.... I owe and train very high drive APBT's who are the toughest dogs you can have. I have NEVER had what you described in your comment be a problem for my dogs with proper training.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.