Go Pitbull Forums banner

Am I feeding enough?

Tags
feeding
2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Cain's Mom 
#1 ·
My dog food instructions (Blue Buffalo) shows for me to feed Jade(35lbs), 2 cups a day, and Jaxx(75lbs), 3 1/4 cups a day. They look healthy. Minimal, but some, rib showing. Thier legs are muscular, not bones. And thier spine does not show on the back. However, since I've switched from not-so-good food available all the time, to better quality food available only during feeding times, my pups act like they're starving. Especially Jaxx. Ive caught him just staring at his food container for long periods of time crying. I've been feeding them on this routine for 3 months now, so I would think they would be used to it by now. Anyone have any advise. I hate seeing them act like they dont eat enough.:cry: Thanks for any info.

-Aaron

#3 ·
I honestly think they are still just used to being free fed. Odin is 75lbs also and only gets 2 cups a day on Acana. I mean he always acts likes he's starving, even when I fed him like 4 cups a day of his old food (before I knew better). But seriously they prolly are wanting the full food bowl back. Oh and if they are like my boy and will eat veggies, give them like an extra half cup of carrots or green beans. Makes them feel full, but doesn't give them any more calories. :)

#4 ·
If they aren't looking too thin, then they are getting enough food. Try distracting them with other things, or stuff their meals into a kong with pumpkin or peanut butter or a little wet food and freeze it so it takes them longer to eat.

#5 ·
Don't base how much to feed on how hungry your dogs act. Most Pit Bulls are enthusiastic eaters. Given a chance, I'm sure my dogs would eat half the bag and they are not underfed. You should see some rib on a healthy adult dog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.