American Bully Puppy perils! - Pitbulls : Go Pitbull Dog Forums

Go Back   Pitbulls : Go Pitbull Dog Forums > The Knowledgebase > Bullies 101

GopitBull.com is the premier Pitbull Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Forum Information
Forum Members:
Total Threads:

Forum Staff:
redog
YUNGSTER
ThaLadyPit
Rudy4747
ames
coach
Carriana
jttar
BCdogs
EckoMac

There are currently users online.

Advertisements

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2016, 03:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rekoj is an unknown quantity at this point
American Bully Puppy perils!

Long time lurker & have learned a lot from these forums, so thanks to all that contribute!!

I'm looking into buying a puppy and looking for assistance in regards to things to look out for/avoid as well as any supplementary info. I'm in Oregon & unfortunately am having issues finding local breeders so I'm looking into having a dog shipped over from Detroit. If anyone has good reputable local breeders in mind please let me know though!!

Currently the pups I'm looking at are 4 wks & come with ear crop, health records, all shots, dewormed, ukc paper under APBT (does this mean papers were "hung"?) For $1500 + shipping.

I've been looking for a while and the parents are by far the nicest I've come across, as well as the pedigree, although only the sires was available online. Any suggestions as to what else I should ask the breeder about/for? What's the best way to handle deposit so both parties are protected? As well as contracts in regards to making sure I receive papers for the pup?

Thank you to all for the assistance!!
Rekoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2016, 04:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

BCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninja
BCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninjaBCdogs reputation ninja
I honestly wouldn't buy a pup from a breeder that misrepresents their dogs. It's very easy to have their registration transferred to American Bully, there's no reason they shouldn't have done it already.
BCdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned
(Reason)

Blossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninja
Blossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninjaBlossom01 reputation ninja
I would not buy a dog from anyplace that you have not seen with your own eyes -- especially from any large city like Detroit. Or send a friend you trust to check the place out.
Blossom01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2016, 08:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom01 View Post
I would not buy a dog from anyplace that you have not seen with your own eyes -- especially from any large city like Detroit. Or send a friend you trust to check the place out.
Unfortunately I don't know anyone in the Michigan area.
What would you suggest though?
Local breeders have dogs at I'm in no way impressed with and most are charging 2000+ for dogs that imo shouldn't be bred (sub par or health defects) and then they have the audacity to try and tell you they're "hooking you up."

Last edited by Rekoj; 01-31-2016 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Links won't work
Old 01-31-2016, 08:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Should have pictures of parents& pups attached on this post!
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2016, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Kenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninja
Kenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninjaKenaii reputation ninja
I just googled Michigan American Bully breeders.

True Heart Kennel - Home I'm not much of an am bully person, but I like the look of this breeder. The dogs all have decent structure and most of them are titled. My only issue with them, is that they show their bullies with the UKC as APBTs.

"How many times have we heard the phrase 'I felt so Good I could lick the world!' Well, the American Pit Bull Terrier feels like that all the time!" - Richard F. Stratton
Kenaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

lovemybluegal is an unknown quantity at this point
I personally never have bought dog unseen. I know many have and had great success. My good friend just picked up a Shar Pei dog unseen and shipped across the country. If you truly want a Ameican Bully do the research and see the puppy, papers and parents first if possible. Just MHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Fawn baby girl RIP...
10 year old Reverse Brindle Red Nose boy...
11 year old English Bulldog babe...
Blue Bully gal coming soon...
lovemybluegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemybluegal View Post
I personally never have bought dog unseen. I know many have and had great success. My good friend just picked up a Shar Pei dog unseen and shipped across the country. If you truly want a Ameican Bully do the research and see the puppy, papers and parents first if possible. Just MHO
That has & will remain my first option, things just don't seem to be looking like they will lineup in that regards. Am bully breeders around here aren't very easy to find and most are just there for the quick buck.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Good with tools

3x Dog of the Month 2x Welder\'s walk to end alzheimers 1x dick in a box 2x Donated to get Indigo and Cree out of florida 2x Devonte\'s harness fund
redog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninja
redog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninjaredog reputation ninja
Send a message via Yahoo to redog
Ukc bullies come with apbt papers. After you register him with the ukc, you can use those papers to reg the pup with Abkc as American bully. Ukc has caused a lot of probs in the community with this "mislabeling" but technically, that's where they came from. They are making strides to correct this.
The breeder looks good on the internet, but couldn't you get out there to visit before you buy?
Old 02-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
APBT!

3x Donated to pbp 1x Bitch in a box! 4x Donated to get Indigo and Cree out of florida 1x Devonte\'s harness fund
ThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninja
ThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninjaThaLadyPit reputation ninja
Yes, in accordance with what everyone else has already said, make time to go visit the breeder's house, meet the parent, and physically put your hands and eyes on pups. You want to see temperaments, feel the bodies, see how they interact with each other, ask questions about feed, lifestyle, training, any competitions they've entered into (parents), and things like that. Also, you'll want to know why the other parents' pedigree wasn't available (could be that the breeder hasn't made time to upload to the website, or that the dog isn't registered, therefore there will be no pedigree available.)

You want to become acquaintances, at the very least, with the breeder you'll be getting a pup from.

You don't have to be restricted to close-range breeders (local, semi-local to you), unless you just can't afford to travel to see the dogs in person. You want to find a breeder that cares about the pup's future home with you, and not just someone who's concerned about making a dollar. A good, responsible breeder will care about where their offspring are going and will want to make sure the pup's home with you will be a responsible, loving home, whether you'll be providing just a pet home, or you're looking to enter your pup into competitions.

As for the contract, you'll want to go over every single detail with the breeder, and if there's anything that doesn't seem right, or you disagree with, y'all should be able to amend the contract prior to signing. Definitely get a signed copy for your records, to keep with the pup's health and registration records, so that you're covered in case the breeder drops the ball for some reason, or tries to say that you haven't upheld your end of the contract. It doesn't happen very often, but it has been known to happen.

Go to the American Bully Kennel Club website and do some research on there, as there are several different classes of American Bully, and decide which one is best for your desires and lifestyle. I'm not sure, but there may be a breeder listing on there, where you can view breeders' websites (if they have one), or at least contact info to get in touch with the breeder of your choice. If not, then you can always view their upcoming show schedule, and make time to go to a show, and meet people and dogs in person.

Best of luck in your search, and please keep us updated on what you find or decide.

"In this breed, there's no such thing as an expert! The day someone says they're an expert, they need to walk away from the dogs, because someone's going to get hurt. You should be learning something new every day." John Maynard-Circle M Kennels

ThaLadyPit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

1x Dog of the Month 1x Welder\'s walk to end alzheimers
EckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninja
EckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninjaEckoMac reputation ninja
You can always go on the ABKC website and see when the next local show is. You can go and see dogs in person. Ask about how they're bred and what breeder they got them from. It's really the best way to become familiar with breeders in your area.

"i can explain it to you, but i can't understand it for you."

"When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It is the same with stupid."
EckoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Bully Wrangler

1x Donated to  Shelter Drive 2x Dog of the Month
Carriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninja
Carriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninjaCarriana reputation ninja
There are several bully kennels in Oregon or nearby who are reputable. Mountain Pride Bullies and Columbia Basin Bullies are kennels active in the show scene and health test. I know Mountain Pride just had a litter but I think they only have one pet home female available. They are also dual registered UKC/ABKC as bullies.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned
(Reason)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekoj View Post
Unfortunately I don't know anyone in the Michigan area.
What would you suggest though?
What would *I* suggest?

Stay away from "bullies".

Blossom01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom01 View Post
What would *I* suggest?

Stay away from "bullies".

Not all bullies are trainwrecks, some are actually pretty healthy dogs.

"How many times have we heard the phrase 'I felt so Good I could lick the world!' Well, the American Pit Bull Terrier feels like that all the time!" - Richard F. Stratton
Kenaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

lovemybluegal is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaii View Post
Not all bullies are trainwrecks, some are actually pretty healthy dogs.

x2 fully agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Fawn baby girl RIP...
10 year old Reverse Brindle Red Nose boy...
11 year old English Bulldog babe...
Blue Bully gal coming soon...
lovemybluegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement