Taste of the Wild? - Pitbulls : Go Pitbull Dog Forums

           
   

Go Back   Pitbulls : Go Pitbull Dog Forums > General Pitbull Forums > Health & Nutrition



GopitBull.com is the premier Pitbull Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Forum Information
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Posts: 34

Forum Staff:
redog
YUNGSTER
pitbullmamanatl
ThaLadyPit
Firehazard
Odin's_BlueDragon
Rudy4747
angelbaby
ames
welder
coach
Carriana
Black Rabbit
~StangChick~
jttar


There are currently users online.

Advertisements

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 05:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
 
Buddy16's Avatar
 

Buddy16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Taste of the Wild?

Does anyone feed this food? I am going to be starting on the Sierra Mountain formula (lamb) next week. Right now I am feeding Acana Lamb/ Oats because mine has a few allergies. Chicken, Corn, wheat and soy. He has been doing so well on the Acana its just the cost im having a hard time with. It costs me $79 after taxes for a 28lb bag. The small store I can get TOTW from sells a 30lb bag for $68 after taxes. They do not and cannot get Acana in. Both foods have the same ingredients pretty much. The Acana has oats and I like the fact TOTW is grain free.

How have your dogs done on this food? Ive looked into a few others such as California Naturals Grain free and Earthborn Holistic and neither can be purchased here. He has a few health conditions and he has a sensitive gut which makes it hard to pick a good food.

He has Pannus in both eyes, Autoimmune Thyroiditis (hes on soloxine) and allergies which gives him lots of skin infections. Hes on Fish oil, veterinary quality joint supplement as he has hip issues and vitamin e
Buddy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-29-2012, 06:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
English Dogge Yard
 
KMdogs's Avatar
 

1x Dog of the Month
KMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninja
KMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy16 View Post
Does anyone feed this food? I am going to be starting on the Sierra Mountain formula (lamb) next week. Right now I am feeding Acana Lamb/ Oats because mine has a few allergies. Chicken, Corn, wheat and soy. He has been doing so well on the Acana its just the cost im having a hard time with. It costs me $79 after taxes for a 28lb bag. The small store I can get TOTW from sells a 30lb bag for $68 after taxes. They do not and cannot get Acana in. Both foods have the same ingredients pretty much. The Acana has oats and I like the fact TOTW is grain free.

How have your dogs done on this food? Ive looked into a few others such as California Naturals Grain free and Earthborn Holistic and neither can be purchased here. He has a few health conditions and he has a sensitive gut which makes it hard to pick a good food.

He has Pannus in both eyes, Autoimmune Thyroiditis (hes on soloxine) and allergies which gives him lots of skin infections. Hes on Fish oil, veterinary quality joint supplement as he has hip issues and vitamin e
MrChewy.com has Acana Regions in the $60 - $73 dollar range with free shipping, typically 2 - 3 business days from order to door step... For Lamb and Apples, larger bag is $65.

TOTW is popular but is complete garbage, owned by diamond and same quality as anything under the companies belt.. Only difference is less/no grains and more cheap and poor quality meats..

If your dog has had allergies, going to TOTW will bring back the allergy issues regardless of what is or isn't in it due to the lack of quality and extremely poor consistency.. Been to the SC plant, i know what the company produces from within.
__________________
"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are" - Cummings

"If think you can't, you're right. If think you can, you're right." - Hatton
KMdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
 
Buddy16's Avatar
 

Buddy16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMdogs View Post
MrChewy.com has Acana Regions in the $60 - $73 dollar range with free shipping, typically 2 - 3 business days from order to door step... For Lamb and Apples, larger bag is $65.

TOTW is popular but is complete garbage, owned by diamond and same quality as anything under the companies belt.. Only difference is less/no grains and more cheap and poor quality meats..

If your dog has had allergies, going to TOTW will bring back the allergy issues regardless of what is or isn't in it due to the lack of quality and extremely poor consistency.. Been to the SC plant, i know what the company produces from within.
Mr Chewy doesnt ship to Canada. May I ask why TOTW is complete garbage? Acana and TOTW uses Lamb and Lamb meal. If hes not allergic to lamb, then how will the allergy issues come back?

TOTW was recommended to me by a good friend who feeds the Salmon formula and has had great results from it.
Buddy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
English Dogge Yard
 
KMdogs's Avatar
 

1x Dog of the Month
KMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninja
KMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy16 View Post
Mr Chewy doesnt ship to Canada. May I ask why TOTW is complete garbage? Acana and TOTW uses Lamb and Lamb meal. If hes not allergic to lamb, then how will the allergy issues come back?

TOTW was recommended to me by a good friend who feeds the Salmon formula and has had great results from it.
It has to do with quality. Pedigree is not the same quality of ingredients as, say Instinct. The quality of meat, veggies, etc are far cheaper to reflect the cheap price tag to go along with it.. Of course, this isn't going into the marketing, distribution and retail mark ups either..

TOTW sells $38 per 30 pound bag here locally, partially due to being a Diamond factory in the state and partially because the cost of distribution is less than else where. However, with that $38 a bag the two places that sell it in town have similar retail mark ups of $8 per bag. I would know because i used to work in dog feed distribution.

Diamond uses the same ingredients in all their feeds under the company.. Which includes Canidae, Costco, Solid Gold, Kirkland, TOTW, Chicken Soup, 4health, Nutragold.. Natural Balance is also made through Diamonds own factories through partnership vs Diamond owning the company.

This is a wide range of pricing however the source of ingredients is all the same.

There are also plenty of loop holes in the dog feed industry, an ingredient such as "Chicken" doesn't actually have to be chicken meat to quality.. A company can use some parts of the chicken and spray on flavoring of chicken and still list the ingredient as such.. Sometimes slightly more honest will be "natural flavoring" which can be something of organic flavoring or it could be meat flavoring.. Which Diamond has used before, factory is absolutely disgusting and the care within their factories reflects the amount of recalls they have yearly.. And that is just what gets to public, i can count more on one hand how many times they should have issued a recall and did not.

I've seen plenty of cases where people have feed TOTW from just a few weeks to 5 years and develop the same problems as "cheaper" feeds..Ingredient specific allergies, seasonal allergies, rashes, dry skin, digestive problems, kidney problems, dull coat, less active, etc.

Aside from all of this, why not order online Acana and stick with the better option your having success with now? At $65, cheaper than TOTW and Champion Foods is a far more reputable company producing some of the best consistency and quality in the kibble industry.
__________________
"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are" - Cummings

"If think you can't, you're right. If think you can, you're right." - Hatton

Last edited by KMdogs; 08-29-2012 at 08:23 AM.
KMdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Work them Pet Bulls!
 
Blue_Nose_Bella's Avatar
 

Blue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninja
Blue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninjaBlue_Nose_Bella reputation ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy16 View Post
Does anyone feed this food? I am going to be starting on the Sierra Mountain formula (lamb) next week. Right now I am feeding Acana Lamb/ Oats because mine has a few allergies. Chicken, Corn, wheat and soy. He has been doing so well on the Acana its just the cost im having a hard time with. It costs me $79 after taxes for a 28lb bag. The small store I can get TOTW from sells a 30lb bag for $68 after taxes. They do not and cannot get Acana in. Both foods have the same ingredients pretty much. The Acana has oats and I like the fact TOTW is grain free.

How have your dogs done on this food? Ive looked into a few others such as California Naturals Grain free and Earthborn Holistic and neither can be purchased here. He has a few health conditions and he has a sensitive gut which makes it hard to pick a good food.

He has Pannus in both eyes, Autoimmune Thyroiditis (hes on soloxine) and allergies which gives him lots of skin infections. Hes on Fish oil, veterinary quality joint supplement as he has hip issues and vitamin e
Ever thought to try a raw diet? A lot of dogs who have allergies to processed chicken in kibble are absolutely fine when fed raw chicken. Kibble regardless of quality did nothing for my dog and her allergies .......it's amazing what raw can do for a dog suffering certain health issues. TOTW which is made by diamond isn't that great of a food given all the recalls its had over the years. However , I'd rather see people feed TOTW instead of crappy Iams or beneful
__________________

*Raw fed dawg*
~If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough excercise!~
"Hated by some, loved by many. The American Pit Bull Terrier will always reign supreme"
Blue_Nose_Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
I'm the blue dragon!
 
Odin`s_BlueDragon's Avatar
 

2x Dog of the Month
Odin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninja
Odin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninja
i recently switch my boy from TotW high prairie to Acana regional grain free the chicken/turkey one. and even my local pet store had it in the low 65 range. that sux that mrchewy wont ship to canada cuz i was gunna get my next bag there for 56.99.

but my reason for the switch is like KM was saying, low quality ingredients. i noticed that when i brought him home from the shelter and got him off the crap they were feeding him i saw a huge improvement using TotW, but now 8 months in, his coat and skin have gone down hill. i am hoping that i will see the quality that i am looking for with Acana.
__________________

Do not dwell on the past, you will not find your future in your rearview mirror.

If you mess with one dog, you get the whole damn pack!
Odin`s_BlueDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Silver VIP Member
 
JoKealoha's Avatar
 

JoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninja
JoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninjaJoKealoha reputation ninja
also thinking about switching from TOTW high sierra to Acana ranchland formula. i'm somewhat hesitant to mess around with his diet because his gut is so sensitive.
raw is my ideal... still thinking.
__________________
~ jo and Gotti Boi (aka Thunder Thighs, aka Jughead, aka The Doo Doo Monster, aka Sexual Chocolate, aka Mister Smiley, aka Sofa King)
JoKealoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
English Dogge Yard
 
KMdogs's Avatar
 

1x Dog of the Month
KMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninja
KMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoKealoha View Post
also thinking about switching from TOTW high sierra to Acana ranchland formula. i'm somewhat hesitant to mess around with his diet because his gut is so sensitive.
raw is my ideal... still thinking.
If he is this "sensitive" (i put in quotations since that is a broad assessment) your best bet is to either switch to a more appropriate feed OR just go to raw.

He may be doing well right now on TOTW however i can bet you my bottom dollar it will change down the road, and it doesn't have to take as long as you think for a noticeable change.

My girlfriends mom has a what is believed to be a Bulldog mix, its a mutt rescue dog and shes roughly 3 years old or so.

Her mom upon getting her was feeding pedigree (or Iams, can't recall which) for about the first year or so, despite my warnings of quality and educating her on feed. After the year or so mark, the inevitable happens.. Poor flaky skin, allergies extreme seasonal allergies, very poor stool and towards the end near lethargic.

Well, despite my advice she went to TOTW. Shes been on TOTW for i'd say nearly a year and a half or so, the improvements were night and day from the beginning. Coat shiny, health appeared to be in order and energy/playfulness back to how she was when she got her.

Wellll.. Guess what is starting to happen again? Yep, you guessed it.. Same problems back and in full swing.

She has now asked for my advice and is going to try Instinct. Cheaper than the Champion lines there locally and doesn't want to feed raw.

I can also share at least 8 other similar stories with various popular feeds people give to their animals that are .. Most of which are people i've assisted with their animals.
__________________
"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are" - Cummings

"If think you can't, you're right. If think you can, you're right." - Hatton
KMdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
 
Buddy16's Avatar
 

Buddy16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Okay, I have done some thinking. I have decided to stay with Acana.

28lbs of Acana Lamb/Apple- $68.99 before taxes. $77.95 after taxes
30lbs of Taste of the Wild- $60.99 before taxes. $68.91 after taxes

Im really only saving $9.04 if I switch. Thats not factoring the gas it would take to make the 40 minute round trip to get the food. My next question. Is Acana a good quality food? Ive heard nothing but positive things about it.

He was fed raw for 1.5 years a while back. He did wonderfully on the diet, then he started to have issues with it. Since chicken is the base of my diet since its the cheapest and I suspect a chicken allergy raw isnt doable. I also do not feel comfortable feeding bones at this time because towards the end of feeding raw the last time he stopped digesting ALL bone. It would be crapped out the other end the same way it went in. I guess what I could do is feed half raw boneless turkey and half kibble? Do the kibble at night.

Which brings me to my next question. Im not to happy about the grains in the formula I am feeding now. Heres the ingredients list

Acana lamb/Oats
Lamb meal, deboned lamb, steel-cut oats, peas, whole apples, whole potato, sunflower oil, oat flakes, lamb liver, sun-cured alfalfa, whole pears, algae meal (source of DHA, EPA), pea fiber, sweet potato, pumpkin, butternut squash, parsnips, carrots, spinach, cranberries, blueberries, kelp, chicory root, juniper berries, angelica root, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, lavender, rosemary.

Since I suspect an allergy to chicken, would he react to duck as well? I ask because I want to try the Acana Grasslands formula because its grain free....I see it has more meat in it as well?

Acana Grasslands
Deboned lamb, lamb meal, duck meal, whitefish meal*, whole peas, red lentils, field beans, whole potato, deboned duck, whole eggs, deboned walleye, duck fat, herring oil, lamb liver, herring meal, sun-cured alfalfa, pea fibre, whole apples, whole pears, sweet potato, pumpkin, butternut squash, parsnips, carrots, spinach, cranberries, blueberries, kelp, chicory root, juniper berries, angelica root, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, lavender, rosemary.

Im going to rip my hair out lol
Buddy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
English Dogge Yard
 
KMdogs's Avatar
 

1x Dog of the Month
KMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninja
KMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy16 View Post
Okay, I have done some thinking. I have decided to stay with Acana.

28lbs of Acana Lamb/Apple- $68.99 before taxes. $77.95 after taxes
30lbs of Taste of the Wild- $60.99 before taxes. $68.91 after taxes

Im really only saving $9.04 if I switch. Thats not factoring the gas it would take to make the 40 minute round trip to get the food. My next question. Is Acana a good quality food? Ive heard nothing but positive things about it.

He was fed raw for 1.5 years a while back. He did wonderfully on the diet, then he started to have issues with it. Since chicken is the base of my diet since its the cheapest and I suspect a chicken allergy raw isnt doable. I also do not feel comfortable feeding bones at this time because towards the end of feeding raw the last time he stopped digesting ALL bone. It would be crapped out the other end the same way it went in. I guess what I could do is feed half raw boneless turkey and half kibble? Do the kibble at night.

Which brings me to my next question. Im not to happy about the grains in the formula I am feeding now. Heres the ingredients list

Acana lamb/Oats
Lamb meal, deboned lamb, steel-cut oats, peas, whole apples, whole potato, sunflower oil, oat flakes, lamb liver, sun-cured alfalfa, whole pears, algae meal (source of DHA, EPA), pea fiber, sweet potato, pumpkin, butternut squash, parsnips, carrots, spinach, cranberries, blueberries, kelp, chicory root, juniper berries, angelica root, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, lavender, rosemary.

Since I suspect an allergy to chicken, would he react to duck as well? I ask because I want to try the Acana Grasslands formula because its grain free....I see it has more meat in it as well?

Acana Grasslands
Deboned lamb, lamb meal, duck meal, whitefish meal*, whole peas, red lentils, field beans, whole potato, deboned duck, whole eggs, deboned walleye, duck fat, herring oil, lamb liver, herring meal, sun-cured alfalfa, pea fibre, whole apples, whole pears, sweet potato, pumpkin, butternut squash, parsnips, carrots, spinach, cranberries, blueberries, kelp, chicory root, juniper berries, angelica root, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, lavender, rosemary.

Im going to rip my hair out lol
Acana has two formulas, their regular grain formulas and their newer Acana Regionals.. Which is a slight step down from Orijen in terms of meat content.

Both Acana products are of excellent quality, however with the regular Acana having grains, isn't something i recommend unless someone is on a budget as regular Acana can be had for around $45 - $50 with free shipping online depending on the meat formula.. Which for the quality, is a steal.. But pay for that steal with the inclusion of grains.

Just because your dog has reacted to Chicken in the past, doesn't mean he will continue to do so under a higher quality Chicken product. However, regardless of the Chicken issue no, just because Chicken allergy symptoms are there doesn't mean the same reaction will be had to lamb, beef, duck, venison, deer, kangaroo, etc.

The Grasslands formula under Acana is one of their best, in fact some have argued that it should just be part of the Orijen line however either way, same quality goes into the bag.

I would recommend the latter, dogs don't need grains thus limiting or completely reducing the intake is best suited.
__________________
"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are" - Cummings

"If think you can't, you're right. If think you can, you're right." - Hatton
KMdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
 
Buddy16's Avatar
 

Buddy16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMdogs View Post
Acana has two formulas, their regular grain formulas and their newer Acana Regionals.. Which is a slight step down from Orijen in terms of meat content.

Both Acana products are of excellent quality, however with the regular Acana having grains, isn't something i recommend unless someone is on a budget as regular Acana can be had for around $45 - $50 with free shipping online depending on the meat formula.. Which for the quality, is a steal.. But pay for that steal with the inclusion of grains.

Just because your dog has reacted to Chicken in the past, doesn't mean he will continue to do so under a higher quality Chicken product. However, regardless of the Chicken issue no, just because Chicken allergy symptoms are there doesn't mean the same reaction will be had to lamb, beef, duck, venison, deer, kangaroo, etc.

The Grasslands formula under Acana is one of their best, in fact some have argued that it should just be part of the Orijen line however either way, same quality goes into the bag.

I would recommend the latter, dogs don't need grains thus limiting or completely reducing the intake is best suited.
Okay, the Grasslands formula is $2 more expensive then what I am feeding now. He was doing so well, was barely itching, then all of a sudden the itching started again. The only thing I have done differently was upped his dose of fish oil from 1 pill daily to 4. Could he be reacting to the fish oil and thats why all of a sudden his itching has restarted?

He is also non stop licking his paws and legs, is this a food issue...or environmental one....so frustrated, I dunno what to do :S

Maybe I need to pull him off the fish oil and just leave him on his joint supplement and soloxine? The joint supplement has the equivilent of 1 fish oil pill. He seemed to be fine with one pill a day.

Last edited by Buddy16; 08-29-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Buddy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
I'm the blue dragon!
 
Odin`s_BlueDragon's Avatar
 

2x Dog of the Month
Odin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninja
Odin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninja
KMs story sounds just like mine about Odin's quality goin down hill. I would go with the drain free ranchlands and keep any raw as just treats. I was advised here that u really shouldn't mix raw and kibble in a day like that. Just my 2 cents. Odin gets some raw ground beef frozen in his kong and some raw chicken from time to time.
__________________

Do not dwell on the past, you will not find your future in your rearview mirror.

If you mess with one dog, you get the whole damn pack!
Odin`s_BlueDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
English Dogge Yard
 
KMdogs's Avatar
 

1x Dog of the Month
KMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninja
KMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninjaKMdogs reputation ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy16 View Post
Okay, the Grasslands formula is $2 more expensive then what I am feeding now. He was doing so well, was barely itching, then all of a sudden the itching started again. The only thing I have done differently was upped his dose of fish oil from 1 pill daily to 4. Could he be reacting to the fish oil and thats why all of a sudden his itching has restarted?

He is also non stop licking his paws and legs, is this a food issue...or environmental one....so frustrated, I dunno what to do :S
The grains in the feed could be the culprit, could be environmental, could be the fish oil if it is imported from some where like China where standards are FAR less than here.. Could be fleas, could have rolled in something and irritated the skin, could have been bit some where by an insect and irritated, could be a hundred of things by that symptom and no way to know without seeing the dog.

Generally, food allergies first present themselves through bumps on the ears then spread to noticeable areas around the legs or even back. Red irritated skin can occur but usually that is more of an environmental OR seasonal issue.

Licking can be a few things, usually environmental but can also be common with food as well. I've found more often than not seasonal or environmental be the main culprit in the southeast region for these symptoms however i've also ran into a few dogs where it was the food causing the problems.

If it is the food, i would suspect it to be the grains. However, if genetically hindered.. Weaker immunity, poor digestive/sensitive stomach, etc.. It is possible that kibble may not work out for you at all.. Though rare, it happens.

Another cause for the above is when people let food based allergies lay for an extended period of time without correction, this can result in damaging their immune systems and ability to break down any kibble based diets.. Regardless of quality effectively and efficiently thus creating the same problem.

If i had to suggest anything, i'd say get him off the grains and monitor the situation. If the reaction continues on Acana Grasslands i would urge you to take him off kibble entirely and onto a full raw diet.
__________________
"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are" - Cummings

"If think you can't, you're right. If think you can, you're right." - Hatton

Last edited by KMdogs; 08-29-2012 at 08:22 PM.
KMdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
 

NYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninja
NYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninjaNYBlueNose reputation ninja
Do NOT buy ToTW, I almost made the exact same mistake. Just get Orijen. It's less than the bag you just named and there isn't a dry food on the planet that is better. It will also last you longer per bag due to smaller serving sizes. Do not buy that other crap, they just went through ANOTHER recall.
NYBlueNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
I'm the blue dragon!
 
Odin`s_BlueDragon's Avatar
 

2x Dog of the Month
Odin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninja
Odin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninjaOdin`s_BlueDragon reputation ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBlueNose View Post
Do NOT buy ToTW, I almost made the exact same mistake. Just get Orijen. It's less than the bag you just named and there isn't a dry food on the planet that is better. It will also last you longer per bag due to smaller serving sizes. Do not buy that other crap, they just went through ANOTHER recall.
Acana is made by the same company that make Orijen. It is a perfectly acceptable food and everywhere I have seen it is slightly cheaper than Orijen with a lower protien percentage which is good for pet dogs like mine
__________________

Do not dwell on the past, you will not find your future in your rearview mirror.

If you mess with one dog, you get the whole damn pack!
Odin`s_BlueDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
taste, wild

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:27 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
pitbull , pitbulls , pit bulls , american pitbull terrier , apbt , bsl , pitbull forums , pitbull pictures , pitbull information
Go Pitbull Site Map
Go Pitbull