Go Pitbull Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tools of the trade

Tags
tools trade
4K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  thaim 
#1 ·
heres some of my flirt amd parting sticks anyone interested or to lazy to make there ownj/jk,pm me[shameless self promotion]ha!

I never understand why peoples flirt poles are so long,any ideas as to why?

Parting sticks pure white birch,strong wood!

See less See more
#2 ·
I work the long flirt pole it's good for sprints my pole is a 17 foot buggy whip gives me about a 30 ft diameter. It let's him further explore his prey dive... Hunting and stalking skills. The squirrels grizz has been gettin will tell u it works. Maybe there friends cuz they are pieces. I work the short fir jump training and quick reflex... He's still young I don't use it much. Nice flirt pole. Looks elaborate.

#5 ·
I have seen them constructed like yours before keith perhaps you could explain it's parts. Mines just a buggy whip with a wubba kong on it LOL grizz loves the tassels and the weight aloes a little more control, speed, and movement. My short is a short buggy whip with a terry towel. Nice and lite. Being a fishing fanatic too the long flirt simulates fishing hahaha it's awesome.

#6 ·
yeah, i see where you would want to keep it short for the "jumpers" but as already stated, the longer pole make for a bigger running area...almost simulates a catmill, IMO.

#7 ·
Thinking about making one this spring. I've always just used a biting surface by hand but you get a lot of scratches that way. Sometimes you can get a good nip too. That's never pleasant. Nice pics, man.

#8 · (Edited)
Mine is short for control,The idea for me is to keep it away from the dog and i cant control a 20 ft pool nor is it practical,strong or very functional for my desire.My pole is for large,high jumps and if he does get it tug and spin which is harder to utilize with a giant fishing pole type contraption.
The flit pole is made of very strong rope,no plastics to cute the mouth drawn through pvc pipe and tied at both ends,then pushed though a retrievers plastic toy for biting and again tied into a knot,then another knot towards the end for optimal grip and a deep bite.
The base is wrapped with friction tape,this is my most elaborate and successful design to date.
The parting stick is made from white birch that fell in my front yard,is hard as hell and works like a charm.
As for a giant awkward flirt pole,it just doesn't work for me and lacks mobility,and durability and is inconvenient for me and hard to store"FOR ME BEING THE OPRITIVE WORD,NOT FOR YOUWhat works for others doesn't work for all,although i am happy with my construction and may just keep elaborating on it as well as constructing a similar on for puppies just smaller with thinner pvc pipping.
p.s
As for a longer running area meaning longer flirt pole,my particular dog is very good in the sit/down/stay,so it dosent matter for me.

#9 ·
Yeah, I've always worked my dogs by hand because it simulates close quarter action. I'd say it's just as important to work the neck and head as it is the body. After all, they were built to do all their best work in close.

Reactions: cane76
#12 · (Edited)
Yeah, my homemade "mop handle" sucks for my adults. They can bend or snap depending on the material, in no time. If my damn slatmill ever gets here, I won't have any need for my "mop" handle anymore..LOL I pretty much use mine for running the pups and jumping....also as a springpole haha. This way I can feel thier weight better being as it gives more...not to break them puppy teeth. I need to make something similar to this for my big boys to give a different kind of workout. Thanks for the tip.. it's an easy but practical design!

#13 ·
You don't want to keep it away from your dog the whole time. The point of the flirt pole is mentally and physically stimulating. Your right madbood it works alot like a cat mill but with more freedom. I like grizz to catch his prey it gives him more pride in his work I always end his sessions wanting more though and his drive gets stronger everytime. NO WAY madbood you got a slatmill.... What's your address again? LOL that's so cool.

#14 ·
You don't want to keep it away from your dog the whole time. The point of the flirt pole is mentally and physically stimulating. .
dan's grizz,
it may come as a suprise to you but i know the point of the flirt pole,lol.
And it dosent matter if i try and keep it away from him 100% of the time,he has the skill and speed to get it no matter what.
I dont know about your dog but once mine is fixated on something he dosent lose intrest,"EVER".

#17 ·
oh man my reels are all over $600 I wouldn't let grizz near it LOL let alone my poles hahaha. When he gets old enough to jump up and land perfectly I'll get something heavy duty like that. I might even pm you LOL. I only live in walnut creek. Til then I'm sticking with my long for conditioning and agility training. And my whimpy short for jump ups on the back deck... No jump downs yet even though he flys on his own now. It's not gonna be my fault if he gets hurt my breeder would kill me. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.