Go Pitbull Forums banner

Dog fighting slang

31K views 40 replies 24 participants last post by  Mcleod15 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ever wonder what you should be on the lookout for to determine if someone is talking about fighting dogs? I'll try to provide an answer so that you can be alert and know what to look for.

Dog fighters use many code words to disguise their activities. Because it is, in many places, highly illegal and is usually viewed as highly immoral, dog fighters try to keep their hobby a well kept secret. However, it is probably more widespread than you think. It is estimated that up to 140,000 people in the United States are involved in illegal dog fighting; 100,000 in street level, 40,000 in professional level. Fighting dogs ranges from street level backyard brawls all the way up to professionally organized events.

Dog Fighting Slang

Campaign: the career of a fighting dog
Champion: a dog who has won at least three fights
Convention: a very large dog fighting event, sometimes with activities, music, and food
Dogman: a professional trainer or handler
Grand champion: a dog which has at least five wins and is undefeated
Gameness: tenacity and willingness to fight (is also used sometimes outside of fighting)
Prospect: a young dog which is aggressive and is thought of as being a good candidate for a fighting dog
Scratch lines: lines in a dogfighting ring behind which the dogs start in the match
The keep: the training which a dog undergoes leading up to a fight, usually lasting about six weeks
The show: the actual dog fight itself
Breeding stand: a barrel or stand that a female dog is tied to while a muzzled male dog mates with her

EDIT: before assuming someone is a dogfighter, please thoroughly investigate all aspects of the person and their program. Just because a lot of these terms are used for the illegal sport does NOT mean that the terms have died along with it. Now-a-days many of these words have different definitions... a lot of them have been covered in this thread, so please read the original post (this one) and thoroughly read the rest of the responses to this thread to see how much these definitions have actually changed over the last few decades. - Indigo Bully Connection

See less See more
#30 ·
Ever wonder what you should be on the lookout for to determine if someone is talking about fighting dogs? I'll try to provide an answer so that you can be alert and know what to look for.

Dog fighters use many code words to disguise their activities. Because it is, in many places, highly illegal and is usually viewed as highly immoral, dog fighters try to keep their hobby a well kept secret. However, it is probably more widespread than you think. It is estimated that up to 140,000 people in the United States are involved in illegal dog fighting; 100,000 in street level, 40,000 in professional level. Fighting dogs ranges from street level backyard brawls all the way up to professionally organized events.

Dog Fighting Slang

Convention: a very large dog fighting event, sometimes with activities, music, and food
Gameness: tenacity and willingness to fight (is also used sometimes outside of fighting)
Prospect: a young dog which is aggressive and is thought of as being a good candidate for a fighting dog
Scratch lines: lines in a dogfighting ring behind which the dogs start in the match
The keep: the training which a dog undergoes leading up to a fight, usually lasting about six weeks
Breeding stand: a barrel or stand that a female dog is tied to while a muzzled male dog mates with her
Show dog Slang

Campaign: the career of a Show dog
Champion: a dog who has gotten enough points in the show ring
Convention: a very large weight pull or dog show, sometimes with activities, music, and food
Grand champion: a dog which has attained enough points in a conformation show.
Drive: tenacity and willingness to do a job to its fullest, can be flyball, agility etc etc
Prospect: a young dog which is to breed standard that looksl ike it can do well in the show ring.
The show: the actual dog how itself

#36 ·
Originally Posted by shadowgames
Wow, blown away to see this on here, because this is just HSUS generated crap. I will always strive to be the best dogman I can be, I will always condition my dogs and call it a keep (using a 8 week period, just the same), I will always carry a break stick, I will own several conformation ch. before I die and hopefully a gr ch., I will always campaign my dogs (going to shows or can I use the word show), and Gameness must never be forgotten purpose of these dogs, period, breeding for a different form of gameness than matchdog quality but it is the only reason to bred or even own one of these dogs is the gameness factor. Tainted minds we have here after all, I bet you go to dog parks don't you?????????

great post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPitbull

Dog Fighting Slang

Show dog Slang

Campaign: the career of a Show dog
Champion: a dog who has gotten enough points in the show ring
Convention: a very large weight pull or dog show, sometimes with activities, music, and food
Grand champion: a dog which has attained enough points in a conformation show.
Drive: tenacity and willingness to do a job to its fullest, can be flyball, agility etc etc
Prospect: a young dog which is to breed standard that looksl ike it can do well in the show ring.
The show: the actual dog how itself

another great post!!!!

#39 ·
Alllllrighty ya'll... I've added something to the original post to make sure that everyone is aware of the situation that we're facing with this thread. I do believe that this thread is very important people do need to be armed with this information, but also the points that have been brought up in response to this thread need to be acknowledged. If any of you guys have had first hand experience having to deal with a raid or having to deal with the hastle of reporting someone to the stupid HSUS please please add in your information to let other newbs know most specifics to watch for/keep from doing rather than just a list of definitions please add them.

Reddoggy and Gamer, if you guys feel that ya'll are getting ready to bump heads like you did in this thread, please PM a staff member before derailing a thread. I know I was guilty of that the other day, and i won't do it again... heck, I'm doing it here, but ya'll get it lol.

#41 ·
We let the government outlaw the sport, good honest people leave the sport(cause its against the law), the sport becomes a sport for criminals alike, who turn the sport into a freak show act, destroying the breed one day at a time. I love talking about the past(Maybe thats because I'm just a stupid backwoods coutry man) thats were all the learning is, todays people are ignorant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.