Go Pitbull Forums banner

Why did my dog bite me?

Tags
bite dog
7K views 56 replies 24 participants last post by  hwm 
#1 ·
I feel at loss here. I love my dog so much, but I'm having the hardest time teaching him how to walk on a loose leash. Something I've taught so many dogs how to do! Last time, I stayed calm and did really good at not getting frustrated even though he wasn't getting it. I was trying the turn around method, because the standing still method was not working at all. As I turned around and was heading back to the direction to the house for the 5th or so time, he jumped up and started biting at me. Not aggressively, more out of frustration I think. I tried to ignore it and cross my arms, turn my back, but it was hard because I was holding his leash and then it got worse. He's so much stronger than me, because I'm just a small girl and he was able to get his entire mouth over my crossed arms and started to bite. It hurt so much, that I cried. I tried to pry him off me, but he wouldn't stop. Luckily we were close to the door by now and I was able to get him off and grab his collar tightly to shove him inside, but he kept trying to bite me, and tried to get at my face as I was opening the gate. It was really scary and I'm afraid that I wont be able to trust him, because I'm physically no match for him. I couldn't even make an emergency muzzle, because I could not get away from him. Please help, any recommendations. Willing to spend money and time on training. This dog means a lot to my family, especially me.

He's 11 months old, 73lbs, very stubborn, smart, protective, people friendly, think he's becoming DA (don't want to find out lol). Oh and we live in Corona, Southern California.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hire a trainer to help you. Seems like you are trying in your own and the longer you wait the higher he will be. You also should work on drop and not to mouth you and other commands inside the house so when you go outside you can have better luck. What kind of collar do you walk your boy with? I am sorry you are having so many issues and I am sure it can get better with patience and the right tools.

Sent from Petguide.com App so please excuse the typos

#3 ·
That dog would get a bullet to the head. In my hands..

I would politely suggest you re-home, or shoot that dog before something more life threatening happens, to you, or another. It's not going to turn off.
If you don't have the ability or means to be trained you are setting yourself up for failure.

Will you risk your life over a dog?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#4 ·
Why shoot a puppy exhibiting puppy behavior? It's 7 months old! It's not attacking from the description its mouthing and it's getting frustrated because it doesn't know what's expected of him. Dogs need to be taught whys acceptable and what isn't before you just kill them for not knowing any better.

#5 ·
11 months...
73 lb dog that bit and then continued to attack the had that feeds it without aggressive or abusive actions = RIP

Sorry I'm not so soft hearted to keep that animal if I was that "petite female"

#9 ·
I feel at loss here. I love my dog so much, but I'm having the hardest time teaching him how to walk on a loose leash. Something I've taught so many dogs how to do! Last time, I stayed calm and did really good at not getting frustrated even though he wasn't getting it. I was trying the turn around method, because the standing still method was not working at all. As I turned around and was heading back to the direction to the house for the 5th or so time, he jumped up and started biting at me. Not aggressively, more out of frustration I think. I tried to ignore it and cross my arms, turn my back, but it was hard because I was holding his leash and then it got worse. He's so much stronger than me, because I'm just a small girl and he was able to get his entire mouth over my crossed arms and started to bite. It hurt so much, that I cried. I tried to pry him off me, but he wouldn't stop. Luckily we were close to the door by now and I was able to get him off and grab his collar tightly to shove him inside, but he kept trying to bite me, and tried to get at my face as I was opening the gate. It was really scary and I'm afraid that I wont be able to trust him, because I'm physically no match for him. I couldn't even make an emergency muzzle, because I could not get away from him. Please help, any recommendations. Willing to spend money and time on training. This dog means a lot to my family, especially me.

He's 11 months old, 73lbs, very stubborn, smart, protective, people friendly, think he's becoming DA (don't want to find out lol). Oh and we live in Corona, Southern California.
You are being dominated by that dog, and this is only the beginning. Too much dog for you. No pun intended.
The dog will read your fear and take hold one day.
While some may be able to control this dog, you can't.
If you have a pet you fear......GET RID OF IT!

While I do not like to judge a book by its cover, this is a warning for you.
It will only get worse if you keep this dog. Put him down and get another, before tragedy strikes.

Reactions: hashbrown
#14 ·
Dogs often mouth when they are frustrated because they aren't getting to go where they want. I can see an 11 month old puppy mouthing because if this. However, it shouldn't be to the point of not letting go all the way to the house and instilling fear. He could start becoming human aggressive which is very scary. If you want to try to keep him, I would definitely consult a professional trainer experienced with dominant dogs. He does not sound full on human aggressive (HA) to me, sounds extremely dominant and a dog that could become HA very quickly.
Please get a hold of a trainer, but in the mean time try not to panic. Do you do any sort of obedience training with him? Like the come, stay, drop it, leave it command?

#20 ·
Why not? Are you like the rest of those idiots that never learn until it is too late?

You have no control over that dog, so not only does it put you at risk, but others also. Heaven help you if you have children.
Are you just a blind dog worshiper too afraid of the thought of the "death of a puppy dog," and do you have that pathetic mentality that "all dogs have a right to be loved" syndrome?
Not all dogs are created equal, no matter what anyone wants to think.

No matter what you learn you are wasting your time if you are afraid of that dog.
What I never said before was that. although you never said the breed, I know already he is not an ApBT.
Which means he most likely has HA blood in him.
No ApBT is 73# at 11 months unless it has other blood in it. (You're on GP, so I assume you call it a "pitbull" even though that is not a breed)
Damn shame is, if and when this dog goes off, the ApBT's name will have to suffer another negative.

Already went at your face......what more evidence do you need that this dog is not for you?
That dog is already establishing itself higher than you, and you are the weakling.

Hopefully you are the one that suffers and nobody else if this dog goes off.
Dog already proved to you you cannot trust him.
If he gets anyone else, I hope you are arrested for harboring a known threat!

Well, carry on with your fantasy love for a bad dog.......a pet you fear. SMH.....

#17 ·
most training facilities and trainers these days have embraced the positive reinforcement method. But that is certainly something you should ask when selecting a trainer. Do your homework and explain to them some of the issues you're experiencing and they will build a training program based around that. I would definitely recommend at first to do at home one on one training as opposed to a class environment.

#18 ·
There are many many different trainers. When you say negative, I know it's correction training is that what you mean? I hope any you find is not going To be negative but they may suggest better tools to help you control your dog. I use a prong collar and positive reinforcement. Seems counter productive to some but in reality I needed to control my dog and then I learned how to read him. If you don't know your dogs signs or how to read him positive reinforcement will hurt and you will just be rewarding him for his Bad behavior. I went though many trainers before finding one I liked. Most will offer a consultation but ask questions on the phone about their training styles. Some dogs are softer and can work with positive only. Some dogs aren't food or toy motivated and are harder and take a stronger approach. It's not a bad thing to need help. Positive only approaches work but they take a LOT longer and it doesn't seem like you have the luxury of waiting for it to work. Find a trainer who specializes in all styles to help you.

#19 ·
Great post Ames! And also just because a trainer is great at working with dominant dogs, doesn't mean they use abusive techniques. Like Ames said, sometimes a prong collar is necessary with really hard headed dogs.
Your dog is probably flipping out and acting like you are hurting him because he doesn't want to relinquish control. He wants to be the one calling the shots, and he can't.

#23 ·
DUDE.... AGAIN.. YOU ARE TERRIBLY MISINFORMED... :rofl:

#28 ·
I'm waiting to hear back from a few people that I think can help me train my dog. In the meantime, someone gave me advice that I should give him more exercise, so I'm going to try to fit in 2 hours of exercise for him everyday of bike riding, jogging and flirt pole. It's weird, but when we go at a medium pace, he walks perfectly besides me and is fine.

#29 ·
Sure... but you better not slow down,, or try to stop, or pull against him, or really anything.. and how would the other day have gone if you were a mile from the house?????

#33 ·
If I may offer a bit of advice... during your consultation, please be 100% completely honest and do not try to cover up or hide any issues with your dog's behavior. The reason I say this, is the trainer will not be able to fully and correctly address the issues if you don't give them insight to everything you need help with. If you try to cover up and make your pup look like less of a problem than he really is, then you're only making things harder on yourself and the dog in the long run.

#34 ·
:goodpost:

If you are not going to put the dog down then this is a MUST ^.

I still am stuck on the went at your face. That is more than an act of domination, frustration, or attempt to draw your attention to something. Face and neck are no no's in my book. I'll cut a dog a lot of slack, but there is a line that can not be crossed and that is it...

Camo bit my junk through my flannel jammies while curled up on the couch watching tv. He did get thrown 1/2 way across the room, but that was instinctive on my part and I felt bad for doing it. He is alive still and has not tried that one again... But if he ever went for anyone's face or neck, it would be his last action.

#41 ·
If the aggression got worse, you would just give that monster away? And you would give the dog to who? And you'd say.. This pitbull is human aggressive ,,?
Who is gonna take a dog that bites people?

#45 · (Edited)
And if it isn't truly HA, you most likely created the monster you have on your hands.

Judging by your handle, <3mydog, you baby it and treat it like a human member of the family.
That is the fastest way to create a bad dog from puppyhood.

Since you have already disagreed with what a couple others and I have said, I'll step out and stop wasting my time trying to help you, and even more, the potential victims you may have.

But if it ever happens, you are to blame, and nobody else.

#46 ·
I have not read all the comments but my recommendation would be to have a vet check , temperment test by someone with experience with this breed. Alot of issues are due to the owners lack of knowledge, not saying you don't know what you are doing but not all dogs are the same so someone who has trained numerous dogs you may come across one who doesn't respond like the rest and may have special issues you don't know how to deal with. There are trainers who will take the dog from you and work with them for a month or so depending how long they feel they need. They work out the issues with the dog and then bring the owner into and teach the owners how to handle the dogs as well. when training it isn't always the dogs who need it. If you are willing to put the effort into the dog and the money then I say go for it.. Call around to some of the trainers in your area, call the shelters see if they can recommend a trainer or someone to temperment test it. And go from there. 11 months is that age though I find if they are going down a bad road very rarely will it get better, the dog is maturing and the true temperment is coming out. Where did you get him from do you know the history of the dog?
Worst case I say put him down if none of this works, im strongly against rehoming dogs like this, even to the right homes. I find alot of people are falsely led into believing someone is the right home, you never have a guarantee with rehoming and dogs like this I don't see taking chances. Best of luck.

Reactions: JoKealoha
#48 ·
YAY so glad you have someone coming out. It really sounds to me like a spoiled pup who needs to be taught what is expected of them. Good for you for trying to exercise and get help for your dog. very VERY rarely are dogs Human Aggressive, but when we are not there we only have your words to go on. Good for you for being honest, its the only way your situation will improve. Most mistake the HA for some other form of aggression that with proper understanding of how to read your dog is easily fixable when you put the effort in. With the amount of pit bull type dogs out there, the incident rate would be way higher than the amount of dogs that currently are attacking humans. When you look at the data, bully breeds are no different than any other dog in that regards and are actually a LOT better than most breeds. Since you don't even know what breed of dog you own, you cant say what Standard it should be living up to except that their behavior is unacceptable. Good for you for trying to do something about it and I hope it goes well with the trainer.

#49 ·
I am an 105lb girl with a 60 lb 10 month old. If my dog EVER went after my face I'd kick the living shit out of him and he knows that. He would NEVER even think about doing that. He HATES disappointing me more then anything.

I'm not going to lie, sometimes it IS hard controlling him on a lead when he sees another dog. He wants at that dog and he doesn't care if there's a prong or a choker on him he will PULL to get at that dog. One lady just stood there with her two little dogs barking at my boy, what happened? I fell down. Got up, it happened again. Screamed at the lady that she's standing there like an asshole and to keep moving bc why would she just stand there, my dog gets loose she won't have any dogs left. I held onto that lead with all my might. She then started walking. When I got back up I kicked the shit out of Diesel for doing that. Nobody hates reprimanding more then me. But I have to. I'm a tiny girl, he definitely can over power me. That's why I have to show him who's boss. This was the start of his DA. He doesn't do it with all dogs, I just don't know which ones are going to make him tick so I try avoiding other dogs at all costs.

You need to show that dog your the boss, you can't show fear, he will sense that and then he thinks ur weak

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.