Pitbulls : Go Pitbull Dog Forums - View Single Post - Rescues, shelters and "breeds"
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 12:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Carla Restivo (Got the BAN STICK)
Banned
(Reason)

Carla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninja
Carla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninjaCarla Restivo reputation ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by ames View Post
I think you don't grasp the concept of mutt meaning unknown and get too caught up on it meaning a mix of breeds.A mutt could be a pure bred dog, you just don't know his lineage.
I don't quite agree with that. I've always seen it used to describe a mixed-breed dog, especially one that you can't see any particular breed in the mix. It doesn't mean that you don't know his pedigree!

According to your definition, I could be standing next to some rescue Greyhound that looked exactly like the show dogs in the ring or on the track and I'd have to call it a mutt because he didn't have a pedigree fastened to his butt! Really?

Quote:
It's breedism.
So, you believe that people shouldn't have a preference for how a dog looks? Is that what you mean by "breedism"?

Quote:
Multiple pure breed dogs don't always have the traits of their breed and multiple might. Most traits are not isolated an when you read descriptions they typically overlap. Who cares as long as each dog is managed responsibly?
I think knowing the general traits of different breeds is a good place to start in educating someone and properly placing a dog. For example, a Pit Bull can be very shy and still be a pedigreed dog and look and act like a Pit Bull. In order to know that shyness can be dealt with in some dogs and is downright dangerous in others, you have to know what you are looking at. I suppose I am a "breedist" and I will discriminate that the shyness is incorrect and may be downright dangerous in a Pit Bull, but just might be acceptable/more manageable in a sighthound.

So, yes, I have a certain amount of breedism I suppose and I discriminate all the time!
Carla Restivo is offline   Reply With Quote