Go Pitbull Forums banner

Raw Diet safe after intestine obstruction surgery?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  pepsis 
#1 ·
So my poor 7 year old male dog had 12 inches of his intestine removed and the vet has him on this canned food crap. And told me not to feed raw but recommends me the canned food and then to purchase purina kibble... and to mix it together.. but these have corn... so i dont think the vet knows much about nutrition... but at the same time i dont want to feed my dog raw (thats what he was eating previously prior to surgery) if the raw chicken leg quarter bone can cause damage to my dog.. not sure if that can even happen since the stomach would brake it down before it goes to the intestine.. not sure... what to do...

avoid the raw? and feed the canned food like the vet says and purchase kibble to mix in with it

#2 ·
My personal opinion on this would be to listen at the moment to any and all vet advice given to you. Then I would contact multiple quality vets and ask them very specifically the questions you want answered.
The bacterial enzimes would have no effect on the stomach but the bones may very well rip and damage fresh wounds.
The food recommendation by brand is my only comeback. I would use a higher quality food.

#6 ·
very good thinking. i did not even think of that... his fresh wounds from the surgery can be injured from the bone.. thanks... also thank you everyone.. i think im just going to stick with the kibble/can food for now. already paid for it... the vet said i can take him off the canned food once he comes off and keep him on kibble anyways. so ill just do that and stick with a high quality kibble...

i bought taste of the wild. checked the ingredients at my local store and it doesnt look bad.. and good price.. thanks eveyone..

#4 ·
first of all, why did the dog have a blockage and need surgery? For the time being I would go ahead with canned food or give ONLY raw grinds until all healed up. If a raw bone was the cause for the obstruction i would no longer give your dog raw bones (definitely no cooked or smoked bones, should be a given but you'd be surprised), they obviously aren't chewing them well enough. Instead i'd stick with grinds and supplement with either Bone broth, bone dust, or stick to turkey/chicken necks, or chicken feet for bone content.

#5 ·
Don't under estimate you vet's knowledge! The soft canned food will pass easily without further damage. After a period of rehabilitation the intestines can contract and expand without damage or just uncomfortableness for the dog. Lots of science has gone into dog feed these days. Our life expectancy as well as our dogs have increased over years for a reason. Better diet is not the least of the reasons! Remember only 4 things for dietary purposes: protein, fat, carbs and (vitamins and nutrients). Good dry food provides for those requirements, but like an athlete if you are working a dog to the extreme it may, MAY, need supplements in the way of protein and carbs.

#8 · (Edited)
I feed my pit pretty closely to a prey model raw diet. I knowthat raw bones can be fed safely to dogs, however there is always a possible chance that a tear, or obstruction can occur. In my opinion absolutely nothing can touch whole natural real food. I would stress when I first started raw. I came up with a solution that eliminates my worry while still benefiting from the nutritionaly superb raw diet. I purchased an industrial grade meat cleaver and I mash those bones up wicked. Yes, I know he is not getting the jaw work out or teeth cleaning as opposed to crunching the bone himself but that is the route I have currently chosen. He does chew on bones still, but not unsupervised. I'm usually holding one end of the bone also. I have had dogs with gastrointestinal surgery twice. Never because of a bone but a frickin rubber chew toy! I would trust my dog with a bone waaaaaaay more than a Kong rubber piece of crap. I hope I have helped by sharing my experience. Good luck with your research.

One more thing I forgot to mention is that the one thing I actually do feed my dogs whole are chicken backs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.