Pitbulls : Go Pitbull Dog Forums - View Single Post - Crate trainning
Thread: Crate trainning
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2016, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
dogma

dogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninja
dogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninjadogma reputation ninja
Well, you want the crate to be a den or safe haven for her, not a jail. I crate all my new dogs (a couple were puppies when I got them, but most were rescued teenagers/young adults) until potty training is understood and what's legal to chew is understood. When I crate, I give them something to do - a squeaky toy, a legal chew toy, a kong, etc. so it's a positive experience. My dogs, when I had the crates up, with doors open, would eventually go in of their own accord to nap.

How old is your puppy? What kind of trouble? Chewing up stuff or gnawing on furniture? If she's 'getting in trouble' and is not house-trained completely, get a rolled up newspaper and every time something happens, whack yourself over the head for not watching her. Tether her to you, or do not let her out of your sight EVER, whenever she is loose in the house. If you can't watch her like a hawk, put her in the crate with a kong or something to chew. For potty training, take her out when she first wakes up, after she eats, and after she's been playing. Praise/treat party for pottying outside, whack yourself if she makes a mistake inside because YOU are the more intelligent one and YOU didn't watch her.

I had 2 crates for house training. One wire crate in the living room (most used room during the day) and a soft crate next to my bed for nighttime (was a lot easier than lugging the heavy wire crate up and down stairs every day) so my new dog(s) are never isolated when crated. Dogs want to be with their people, so keep them where the action/non-action is.

Another useful thing to teach your puppy is to trade, ie, trade an 'illegal' shoe for a 'legal' chew toy or treat; or take up her food bowl while she's eating, then give it right back with a really tasty treat added. You want her to learn that giving up a 'treasure' gets her a better deal and you'll avoid inadvertently teaching her to guard things (by taking stuff away from her and leaving her with nothing). My youngest dog, Michaela, caught a squirrel the other day and was planning to have it for a snack. I traded a pig ear for it (it was a hard decision for her but she couldn't resist the pig ear). Trading saved me from chasing and inadvertently teaching her to keep away from me when she has hold of something I don't want her to have.
dogma is offline   Reply With Quote