Go Pitbull Forums banner

good with small dogs

Tags
dogs good small
3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  HeatherSen 
#1 ·
Good Morning All,

I have fallen in love with a staffy pit puppy and I want more than anything to give him a good home. I have two small dogs now (they are still quite young) and all of my research has indicated that pit breeds have a tendency toward aggressiveness toward other dogs and that I should never leave me dogs alone unattended. My heart tells me that this is not true that my dogs and a new pit pup would be fine together, especially since they are all still young but I wanted to ask pit owners their honest opinion on the subject. Please help as the little guy will be ready to come home in 2 weeks

#2 ·
Your research is correct. It's not always black and white, dog aggression in bull breeds usually operates on more of a sliding scale. Some are dog-selective; some only like small or large dogs, some are fine with housemates but not strange dogs, and some can't be around any dogs at all. Either way, the potential is always there and it's something you have to be aware of. As long as you're prepared to supervise at all times, never ever leave them alone together, and potentially keep them separate at all times should it not work out, then you should be fine.

#8 · (Edited)
I would hesitate to adopt him with having two other smaller dogs. I know some people here live in a "crate and rotate" situation, but I'm not sure I'd want to.

It's great you are researching, something I didn't do before I got my shelter "pitbull."

Thankfully he and our original dog are the best of friends. He is 2 now and our other dog is a 4 year old female hound mix. He does enjoy other dogs when we are out on a walk, big or small, although I always approach a new dog with hesatation. This isn't always the norm though for the breed. Of course mine is not a purebred APT. It took quite some time for him to adjust to our cat, who loves him now, and he loves her equally. :) I still keep them separate though when I'm not around.

I would just hate to see the new puppy be sent away if he didn't get a long with your two smaller ones, or if a fight happened.

Of course if you feel you can handle it and are in it for the long haul, then it's up to you of course!. :)

#9 ·
Thank you so much for all of the feedback. I did end up getting Bane this weekend. (We have a comic book theme going with our dogs and already have two batman villains, Harley and Ivy so Bane is a perfect fit). We are keeping an eye on them and seeing how it goes. If we can keep them together we will but if not we will find a way to make it work with separating them. I am not one to get rid of a pet after I bring it in my house unless the well being of my family is 100% at risk so he is in for good. It will be a journey, as it is with any new puppy, but one I am looking forward to. I have attached pictures of all three. Thank you again! Dog Dog breed Carnivore Comfort Ear

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Fawn

#12 ·
Bane is a cutie!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.