Pitbulls : Go Pitbull Dog Forums - View Single Post - Did you say dog park?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2016, 11:04 PM   #66 (permalink)
Lokipup

Lokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninja
Lokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninjaLokipup reputation ninja
I take Loki to the dog park all the time, but this thread is definitely making sense and I think I am changing my mind on a dog park. I am glad I took him because he has definitely learned to socialize with other dogs in the 3 months that we've had him, he has learned some ropes and enjoyed playing with other pups. He is 6mo old and is getting older, and I am considering not taking him there anymore. He now has a little scar on his eyebrow and on his ear from other dogs snapping at him when he just wanted to play. Also, it terrifies me to think that there always that one time when something goes wrong on either part- and I will lose him. Even if it is .0005%, it's a percent big enough for me.
Our dog park is very pit friendly and there are a lot of pits and mixes there, mostly rescues, so nobody is shocked when I bring my Loki there (he's a pit mix, btw). He sometimes plays a little rough, but so do other breeds and the owners are never upset or anything. However, we did some scary experiences there that are making me change my mind.

Beagles...they are DA as HECK and pretty much every one of them at the park has tried to attack my pup aggressively. I worry that he will get hurt and that their dog will get hurt as well. But guess whose fault it will be? Ofcourse, not a cute dough eyed beagle! Loki just avoids them for now and when there is one, he just runs away and plays with other dogs, but they are persistent and you ever know when he will get tired of running away.

BAD owners...Everyone was enjoying the dog park when two enormous pits barge in- cropped ears, huge muscles, no collar or tags or anything. The owners just slowly walk in behind them. One pit a size of a tank runs up to Loki playing with his friend and starts attacking the friend on the legs. Not play fighting, full on attack. My SO picked up Loki in his arms and pushed the pit away from the doggie he was attacking which was screaming and on his back. Loki was freaked out and the pit was jumping up on my SO, trying to get to my pup. He was actually nipping at my SO's shirt sleeve. My SO is a 6'1 muscular guy and the pit was reaching his shoulder level. People were scared, and the owner goes "don't be kicking my dog". WTF???? My SO doesn't like confrontation and just ignored, while others were like "he wasn't, he was saving those dogs from yours." They huffed and puffed and walked away, with the huge pits running behind them. I am fairly certain they were not registered, didn't have shots, park registration, a single day of training-nothing. It was horrifying. There are rules and regulations posted right there, but some people are rude inconsiderate assholes that won't even read them.

People with kids. I was at the park and Loki was running around with his friends when the latch door opens and in walks a family of 5, with 2 little kids. All the dogs run up to the door and Loki, being a pup, starts jumping on a kid and trying to lick. He is a sweetest dog, but he is a puppy and unfortunately I can't socialize him with kids since I don't have any and don't really have any friends near me who have them (nor do I want to take him to a playground to learn, lol). I am training him off jumping right now, so he doesn't do it with adults that much anymore, but kids are a different game. The kid was crying, Loki was all hyped up cause he wanted to play. Then there was a guy sitting on a bench who looked at me like I just murdered his first born. He was staring at me with a ANGRY off look before and was getting NASTY when Loki came up, being a friendly ham as he is, trying to get pets. Even though his medium sized dog was going for my hands earlier and it made me very uncomfortable. I said "he just wanted to play" and he was like "well, they don't know that." Well, then maybe they shouldn't be taking little kids into a dog park filled with mostly large energetic dogs who could even knock your kid to the ground while being rambunctious! Not to mention that they just opened the DARN gate without any warning, with all the dogs standing next to it. Ofcourse they had a little fluffy dog that Loki wanted to play with, but I took him away.

At any rate, I am definitely now very wary of dog parks and while I'm glad that Loki got to experience it, I would rather not take him there when he is older. Maybe even now.

Last edited by jttar; 09-27-2016 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Again, inappropriate language
Lokipup is offline   Reply With Quote