Pitbulls : Go Pitbull Dog Forums - View Single Post - Today’s trip to the dog park
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 12:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
DynamicDuo
Gold VIP Member

DynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninja
DynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninjaDynamicDuo reputation ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder01 View Post
Interestingly enough service dogs police gsd will also attack dogs that act unsure, good handlers will never let you bring your dog near, because they know this, they are not worried about your dog but their own. But working line gsd and Czech line shepherds are not considered to have dog aggression in there nature any differently then other breeds they do have higher drive levels.

I wonder if there's a connection between the service dogs training and bully breeds and perhaps there's something we overlook raising bullys vs other breeds which may cause this in varied amounts dependant on the case

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk
This isn't entirely true. My (soon to be ex) husband was a certified Police/corrections K-9 handler and trainer. It is true that ANY dog can attack another dog who is unsure or acting “different” because the attacking dog, if you may, may think there’s something wrong with the dog not acting “right”. This is why some dogs attack their brothers or sisters when they come home on anesthesia after a procedure, as an example. I had a little terrier mix dog named Nickel when I met the ex. We were lucky and he fit in pretty well with Ciara and Diesel (our bulls), but we once had to give Nickel Benadryl to treat some hives and that was the only dog fight we had between them. Ciara did not like how he was acting on the Benadryl and went after him. It was short lived because we were on it and Nickel spent the rest of his night in his crate. It doesn’t happen often but it does happen. It’s a very different kind of aggression than straight up DA. However, GSD, Dutch Shepards and Malinois most typically used for protection work and K9 work are working dogs with protection ingrained in their genetics much like DA is ingrained into the genetics of bulldogs.

What you are describing isn’t DA but natural dog behavior. Most handlers won’t let others near their working dogs for liability reasons only. K9’s are taught controlled aggression and any dog that doesn’t release on command typically won’t make it to the streets. If the handler does not have total control of their dog, the dog doesn’t make it to the streets as a working dog - more for liability reasons than anything else. Many of our police departments (we dispatch over 50 at work) have done away with their K9 programs because liability insurance is out of control, not because any of the dogs showed any DA issues. Now, with that being said, they are protection working dogs so anything they perceive as a threat to themselves OR their handler will provoke aggression. That’s what’s ingrained in their genetics and taught through training. They are taught to protect and obey their handler above all else.

This is why you see almost completely Shepard’s and Mal’s in PSA trials and not bulldogs. Bulldogs love people above all else. I’ve done training with some of the County dog teams in the past including bite work. What amazes me is that one of the dogs I took a bite from was a huge Dutch Shepard and he was definitely more gentle with me than he was with the “bigger targets”. Fascinating stuff really.

"If you treat your dog like a human, they’ll treat you like a dog."

Last edited by DynamicDuo; 01-10-2018 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Had to fix my phone post grammar and spelling!
DynamicDuo is offline   Reply With Quote