Go Pitbull Forums banner

How to Glue & Tape Natural Ears

70K views 51 replies 25 participants last post by  pitbull.momma 
#1 ·
Hmmmm, I thought I posted this as a thread already but couldn't seem to find it. maybe I just had stuck it in with someone's question. Well in any event since there are always natural ear questions, here you go...

Puppies go through growth spurts as they do, and also teeth, the ears can often do crazy things. Sometimes ears will sit perfectly when the growth spurts are done, but that is not always the case. Some ears will not correct unless you help them along.

Some are born with perfect ears like my girls and some of course are not. I have some who have less than perfect ears too but that is how they are... I still love their ears and it doesn't bother me or them one bit.

Ears are only one part of the dog and IMO shouldn't be that big of a deal especially in a working breed, but I know it bothers some when ears go batty or flop and plus it is not correct as per the standard.

Though personally ears being penalized when they aren't perfect is a pet peeve of mine... but that is another topic. I Love all kinds of natural ears.
But, for those who are bothered by not so perfect ears and do not want to crop here are some options

So how do you tape or glue to make perfect rose ears ????

Here ya go one link on taping and one link on using glue to make perfect rose ears

oren plakken

How to make perfect rose prick ears

See less See more
Reactions: JFlowersLA
#4 · (Edited)
Great Post!!

I don't like adding to sticky's but if anyone has done the ear gluing could you provide before and after pictures of your pups and time it took to "hold" the look?

#5 ·
Well did this tonight...man it was a pain! I'll post a picture once I clean up. I used the eyelash glue also. We'll see how it works out.

#9 ·
Great thread!

I'm going to use that method you posted in case I need to tape the new pups ears. I am thinking I want to leave her ears be, so if they start going floppy, we'll come back to this. Thanks for the valuable info!

#15 ·
Well like i said, i like the look of cropped ears,but Peteys 7 months old now and correct me if im wrong but i think cropping is sopposed to be done at a younger age.Ive had him for about 2 months now and i just found this thread about gluing the ears so i thought this might be a compromise.

#18 ·
A crop like this can be done at any age..the only problem is finding a vet that will do it past 12 weeks. Thankfully I know a couple....however if the dog is healthy and happy and is not a show dog I leave the ears alone.

#21 ·
hey guys:

quick question to get this thread back on topic:
i just glued Argos' left ear with eyelash glue, using cotton swabs, as shown in the excellent link provided.
no real problem, other than that ive been holding it together for about 5 minutes now and it still doesn't have a good hold.
does eyelash glue take longer than "a few seconds" to tack?

#22 ·
Here's my eyelash glue method:

You have to put on a thin coat or it takes forever to stick, so I go for a larger area of tackiness, instead of concentrating a big blob, I spread a thin wide layer. I also do it while the pup is sleeping on the couch, if you are lucky they will open their eyes, look at you in confusion and go back to sleep, letting the ear dry for a bit before getting up and rough housing. You can put a small glob on, kind of rub it in spreading it about, and once you feel it start to get tacky, press the fold together. The glue holds up really well, and is very strong with even a thin layer.

#23 ·
well, it looks like the WHITE eyelash glue works much much better than the CLEAR kind...
i got it done, here's a pic, but it doesnt look sturdy at ALL, and he keeps wanting to mess with it (not obsessive scratching i.e. allergic reaction, morelike it's bothersome.)
and this is after putting glue, letting tack, putting cotton, more glue, and held together for approx. 5 minutes.

#25 ·
now that i look at it again a few hours after, i realise that i did little more than glue little rolled up pieces of cotton swabs to his ears and make a mess with his fur.

i am guessing that the objective here is to have the ear stay stuck to itself, close to the head; not to have an ear flopping about with cotton glued to it...right?

i must be doing something wrong?

quite discouraged here....this was a two-man job that took us nearly a half hour to complete...looks like i not only wasted the glue but also made my dog's fur stiff and nasty around his ears.

#27 ·
"Cotton" is like the fabric that holds the two parts of the ear together. If you do not use cotton, trust me, you will be going to buy some very quickly while slapping yourself on the head (been there done that).
directly from the website, second link, first post in the thread.
are you implying that you glue directly ear-to-ear with nothing in between?
it really seems like that wouldve worked much better, but i wanted to prevent "going to buy some quickly while slapping myself on the head."
sound advice, correct me if i am interpreting you wrong, i'll give your way a shot tomorrow. also, what do you use as an applicator? i used a q-tip to spread it last time but the cotton soaked up more glue than it put down...

#28 ·
The cotton is used to protect the ear and fur a little better but it will get on the fur somewhat and some do it with no cotton at all. If the glue is not holding well you may want to tape instead.

#31 ·
okay, so i just finished gluing his ears with great success, this time i used a toothpick to pull the eyelash glue from the vial, rather than a Q-tip.
also, i used no cotton, just glued the ear to itself.
i waited until he was asleep and did it without much trouble at all.
he woke up and shook it loose a few times, but a light re-coating along the outside of the "breaks" was all i needed to get it set back into place.
hopefully that'll clear things up for anyone else having noob problems :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.