Pitbulls : Go Pitbull Dog Forums - View Single Post - Schutzhund Books and Training technique
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Howardsperformancek9 (Got the BAN STICK)
Banned
(Reason)

Howardsperformancek9 reputation ninjaHowardsperformancek9 reputation ninjaHowardsperformancek9 reputation ninjaHowardsperformancek9 reputation ninjaHowardsperformancek9 reputation ninjaHowardsperformancek9 reputation ninja
Howardsperformancek9 reputation ninjaHowardsperformancek9 reputation ninjaHowardsperformancek9 reputation ninjaHowardsperformancek9 reputation ninjaHowardsperformancek9 reputation ninjaHowardsperformancek9 reputation ninjaHowardsperformancek9 reputation ninjaHowardsperformancek9 reputation ninjaHowardsperformancek9 reputation ninjaHowardsperformancek9 reputation ninjaHowardsperformancek9 reputation ninja
To answer your question: I would hope that owning a APBT that you realize you are going to have to do a few things extra, to get people to take you serious and help you get started in Schutzhund. A lot of clubs are gunshy of new people in general becuase they take so much extra time. Myself, being a helper(club and regional level), see so many people come out, and I bust my butt helping them. Then after a few sessions they never come back. Most people, once they realize how much work it takes to train in all 3 phases of schutzhund, lose interest.

When I first became interested in schutzhund, I went out and watched clubs work dogs, talked to a few people. I did not bring my dog. I purchased a couple of books(susan barwigs), and started training in my backyard, what I could do myself. Mainly basic obedience and tugwork. The first club I went to allowed me in, because they could see I was serious and figured I could do helper work. I was the first APBT to ever join the club.

"The extra work that you do, will definately be to your benefit."

Yes, If you can find a Schutzhund club that will let you join, by all means join. However, I am telling you the truth, that the average schutzhund club will not accept a bull breed with open arms. You are going to have to do your homework. Meaning your dog is going to have to already have some obedience, and be social before any club will even let you come out to watch. If you have any dog aggression issues, you will need to get that fixxed before you even venture out there.

I truly beleive that you will have to do some training with a trainer and on your own before a schutzhund club will even consider letting you come out.

The poster above gives you a link to USA clubs, but here is one for DVG also.
Member Clubs by Regions
Also, here is a link to the working pitbull board where most the APBT schutzhund people hang out.
The WORKING PITBULL Board
Howardsperformancek9 is offline   Reply With Quote