Pitbulls : Go Pitbull Dog Forums - View Single Post - Bully breeders who health test and CH
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
Patch-O-Pits
Silver VIP Member

Patch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninja
Patch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninjaPatch-O-Pits reputation ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampsons Dad View Post
is this for pits/bullies only?...lol
Anyone can health test. If the dog is not breeding stock or a working dog
it is done for the pet owner's piece of mind.

Testing is a tool not the end all be all of a breeding program.
As some of you may not realize, even dogs that test OFA excellent in hips can and have at times produced HD in pups etc. Genetics is complicated and testing is not foolproof, however it is a start to helping to find out what runs in a line. The father back testing is in a ped the more reliable the results.

The below is about APBTs and also applies to Bullies in most of what I'm writing

I think OFA cardac testing is at the top of my list especially after seeing several friend's dog suffer and eventually die or be put down due to heart issues and others who have restricted exercise and are on meds.

FYI patella issues are on the rise in this breed from what I've seen as well.

Off topic a little...
There are also a ton of dogs coming up with multi ACL injuries, which in an athlete/ working dog can be more common due to higher activity stress levels but for the average pet dog I'm really surprised to see so many, which makes me think that there may be some sort of genetic predisposition in some lines. I don't know.

There are still so many unknown factors when it comes to genetics.

Some cancers also have genetic factors, however at this point with dogs I haven't seen reliable testing. I didn't even know how common cancer was in out breed until I lost a dog at 2 1/2 years old to it...
FYI Both her parents were fully health tested.... that didn't save her.

Just making the point there are no guarantees.

So those of you looking at dogs and or thinking of breeding, make sure to look at the big picture. What I find on forums is people on the outside and those who even know nothing about breding are very quick to judge and make comments. So make sure you are doing what you truly feel is best for your dogs. m My best advice is to make educated decisions and weigh out factors.

When looking for pups, research research and then research some more and be happy with the choice you make. Sometimes you might be dealt a hand so to speak that you weren't expecting no matter how hard you try.

Last edited by Patch-O-Pits; 12-16-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Patch-O-Pits is offline   Reply With Quote