Pitbulls : Go Pitbull Dog Forums - View Single Post - Ok.. I'm not into mixed breeds BUT... I love these... PitterPat
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
NinaThePitbull

NinaThePitbull is off the scaleNinaThePitbull is off the scaleNinaThePitbull is off the scaleNinaThePitbull is off the scaleNinaThePitbull is off the scale
NinaThePitbull is off the scaleNinaThePitbull is off the scaleNinaThePitbull is off the scaleNinaThePitbull is off the scaleNinaThePitbull is off the scaleNinaThePitbull is off the scaleNinaThePitbull is off the scaleNinaThePitbull is off the scaleNinaThePitbull is off the scaleNinaThePitbull is off the scaleNinaThePitbull is off the scaleNinaThePitbull is off the scaleNinaThePitbull is off the scaleNinaThePitbull is off the scaleNinaThePitbull is off the scale
Mix breeds

I don't share most people's disdain of mix breeds. Perhaps pit mixes I might understand, yet at that same time I do have to acknowledge some great dogs I've known that were pit mixes. I am not the slightest bit "purebred addicted."

For example:
The Doberman - Purebred ... yes?

The Doberman was originally developed around 1890 by Karl Friedrich Louis Dobermann.

Dobermann served in the dangerous role of local tax collector, and ran the Apolda dog pound. With access to dogs of many breeds, he aimed to create a breed that would be ideal for protecting him during his collections, which took him through many bandit-infested areas. He set out to breed a new type of dog that, in his opinion, would be the perfect combination of strength, loyalty, intelligence, and ferocity. Later, Otto Goeller and Philip Gruening continued to develop the breed to become the dog that is seen today.

The breed is believed to have been created from several different breeds of dogs that had the characteristics that Dobermann was looking for, including the German Pinscher, the Beauceron, the Rottweiler, the Thuringian Sylvan Dog, the Greyhound, the Great Dane, the Weimaraner, the German Shorthaired Pointer, the Manchester Terrier and the Old German Shepherd Dog ( being the largest contributor more than the other breeds).

... now I am not a great canine historian, but I doubt the term "urebred "was used back then, perhaps I am wrong.

If you have knowledge of canines and breeding ( which I am guessing Mr. Dobermann had, being that he ran a dog pound in a part of Europe known to have a historical lineage of many great dogs), mixing of breeds might prove to create a fine breed of dog with certain specialty characteristics.

In my opinion, aDoberman is one of the finest dogs for estate protection as well as personal protection for an individual out in the field.

My point being, what is considered a mix today might be recognized in the future as a "purebred" with great characteristics if done right. Also, if you go back far enough into canine history and the migration and civilization of man and his dogs, can you not argue that all dogs are in fact "loosely" mixed, or simply there are no PURE breeds? ( this argument though can reach no final conclusion ).

...I'm rambling.

Here is a photo of " supposedly" a doberman/pit. Aesthetically it looks pleasing to me, but I can not speak for an individual dog ( or mix breed's) temperament by looking at a photo. That being said, I do not promote mixing pits with Dobies.

PS ...and above all, I do not agree with tax collectors being spared a whoopin' because of their canines. Too bad Mr. Dobermann didnt have a Sloth sanctuary.

Last edited by DueceAddicTed; 02-14-2010 at 11:18 PM. Reason: No cursing on the board
NinaThePitbull is offline   Reply With Quote