Go Pitbull Forums banner

Leg Problems For My Puppy

66K views 59 replies 23 participants last post by  Bturner124 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a dog named "Balls" and he is about to be 9 weeks old tomorrow on the 12th, I have done some research because I am really worried about his leg, or rather legs. One if his legs is a bit crooked and bowed. Is this normal for a pitbull? i was told he has high caliber bully blood and his dad is grandpup of juan gotti. Please let me know what you think, should I take him to the vet? please help, I am new to all of this and I love my pitbull very very much, I don't want nothing to be wrong with him =(.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well you have to understand byb out there will tell you anything you want to hear. Byb of ambulls breed for looks and not for conformation or health or longevity of there pups. They just want to make massive hippos that mostly have health problems. It definitly looks bowed and crroked if you go through some abully pics like on craigslist and other mostly non kennel sites you will see the same problem in alot of dogs. In your pups lineage the leg was bowed and being byb they didn't take that dog out of their breeding program but continued to breed because maybe the dog had a big head or was extremely built. So with them not takin the dg out it has passed on to your pup through the litters of a horrible breeding program if you can even call it that. How much did you pay for your greatgrandson of Juan gotti with other high calliber bully blood.

#3 ·
I paid 200$, i love him very much I just don't know very much about pitbulls and i want to make him as healthy as a horse! i don't want nothing to be wrong with him should i take him to the vet? and the dad seemed fine and so did the mom, he is a ghenghis khan also. i am feeding him NUTRO PUPPY GOOD LAMB N RICE. should i change food? what should I do? =/

also the mom had 9 pups and 5 of them died.. 4 survived and he was the one that survived, and the house he was in was not all that great, his brothers were in kennels outside and he stinked really bad so i took him home with me because I wanted to provide a better home, i have a huge backyard and he always plays in the grass and play fights with my toy poodle lol

#5 · (Edited)
There is no reputable breeder out there that I know of that would ever breed a pup with that big of a problem. Like i said byb back yard breeders will tell you anything you want to hear. Unfortuneitly you paid 200 for a puppy that in the long run you will probly have to shell out thousands as more of his health problems begin to show up. The bitch loosing that many puppies should of been a hint that they do not know what they are doing they obviously didn't get there bitch health tested. Plus with that much loss she was probly way to young to breed. Since you love the pup so much keep loving her just know financially it will definitly be a factor and who knows what other things skeletal tempermental Nd other might be wrong

#6 ·
Why did the 5 of the puppies die? Was he vaccinated when you received him? I don't mean to sound like a jerk at all but if you don't know a lot about pit bulls then how do you know if they were ok? But besides that I thank you that you are providing a better home for him! And welcome to the forum!

#7 ·
thanks, and i guess i just got the wrong pitbull trainer.... the mom and dad have papers and yes he had his shots and was dewormed he gave me tge stickers to the shots.... and you scare me..... i cant return him i love him too much.... abd i guess i cant provide for him as i work for 8/hr =\ i guess tomorrow i will take HIM yes... HIM not HER to the vet and before i do rub his little paw and pray that he lives a healthy life =[ cuz i dunno whats going to happen.....

#10 ·
They weren't like that? Does it hurt the pup when you touch the joints. Did he jump from smoewhere high? I would definitly go to vet and see what they say after x Ray. When they say pups won't be registered because we moved I don't get.

#11 ·
He runs and jumps and plays and ive put pressure on the leg and he doesnt cry.... this just sucks... did u see the mom n dad? the dad was highly active and happy and the mom didnt look happy cuz they were taking her a bath lol... well ima call the vet tomorrow and lets see what she says... u dont think its due to nutrition?

#12 ·
Sorry that you are having to go through this.I would definitely take him to the vet.You may be looking at surgery down the road.
If the dog is not registered then there's no way to tell what bloodline he is.And even if he has these bloodlines in a certain part of his ped,it doesn't matter if byb's have gotten ahold of them and been breeding them wrong.
But yeah I would take him to the vet.

#14 ·
It looks like knuckling over, which is not a genetic defect, and is not an indication of back yard breeding, or being a bad breeder. Knuckling over is easily treated with a special diet and sometimes leg braces. Results can be seen in a few days once you take him to the vet and get him started. The earlier it is caught, the better, and at his age there should be no permanent damage.

Here's some info:
Knuckling Over and HOD - Developmental Orthopedic Disease | GREATDANELADY.COM

#17 · (Edited)
DON'T PANIC! Sorry you got some bad advice from some newer members with little experience, this is treatable without a vet.

Your puppy is knuckling over it happens when a puppy grows too fast and the ligament that hold the leg in place grows faster than the leg bone. When that happens the ligament is lose and cannot hold the leg in place.

I had the same thing happen with my gamebred dog and the same thing started to happen to her puppies at 7 weeks old. They are 9 weeks now and because I knew what was going on I was able to correct it right away and they are fine now. The dog who had it when she was young is a working dog and it has had no effect on her what so ever as an adult.

You need to switch food to a lower protein adult food for a while then go back on puppy food. You said you are feeding nutro (an ok food) but you need to switch to an adult food with lower protein. You need something like 24% or lower, I feed Kirkland chicken and rice from costco and the puppy food is 28% but the adult chicken is 24%. Kirkland is basically the same as nutro but it is made by a better company and is better quality. Now matter what food you feed you need lower protein and it will take a few weeks but it will correct it's self. I would also wrap the puppies legs or make a splint so the bone does not start to bow out but again this should all correct in a few weeks.

So again don't panic this happens to many breeds including APBT's and bullies, you do not need to go to the vet yet save your money, just switch food for about 2 months and you will be fine. Once this corrects you can go back on puppy food or do a 50/50 mix.
If you have any more questions just ask or you can even PM me. ;) take a deep breath it will be ok.

#20 ·
Thank you so much !!! you really helped...everybody!, well I have a mini toy poodle who eats adult food, i am going to ask my mom what kind of food it is and if I can see the bag because usually when I feed my poodle named "Papi" and my pitbull Balls, he usually starts devouring papi's food and he starts crying lol... so maybe that was an indicator that he needs adult food? but thank you so much everybody and especially to you performanceknls! you were a huge help! now after that problem is solved I will start to train the little one to do exercise, I have seen some neat exercise routines that trainers do with they're pups, so I am going to try it out, I will keep it easy though as his leg is rather crooked o_O.

#22 · (Edited)
#23 ·
Kibbles n bits if CRAP! feed a decent food like nutro, you have already been feeding that so I would just put him on adult. Look for a chicken based food it will have lower protein. You also have to look at the back of the back not any adult food will do. You need one with lower protein and fat. Also like I told you in the pm, you said your going to the vet so have her show you how to do a good splint to keep that leg straight while it heals.
Let us know how it goes!

#24 ·
I Will and thanks I am about to call her to see what she recommends, I am also going to petco/petsmart today to buy him vitamins for him, I think that will also help the pup...hopefully.... and I need to buy him toys because the only toy he has is my toy poodle, and he keeps annoying him a lot lol

#25 · (Edited)
Ive had two pups start knuckling and they have been corrected. I also helped a good friend of mine on here who had an entire litter start knuckling, her name on here is Bluefamily. lisa (performance kennels) is right, it is simply corrected with a good diet and it is NOT a condition that is hereditary. Do not let your puppy run or do a lot of jumping right now which can cause issues down the road.

These major dog food brands are pushing the "higher protien" gimmick shearly for their own profit. The american mind set is more is better, and most people automatically assume "more protien means bigger muscles" while higher protien can play an affect on a dogs muscles if the dog is extremely active like a working dog... the average dog owner does not need high protien. You also need to take into account that it is more of a "protien to water ratio" not necessarily protien period. High protien in a raw diet is better for your dog than high protien in a kibble because the water is what helps your dog process that protien.

I personally made the switch to a lower protien food which is an all life stages not necessarily an adult formula. I used d*ck Van Pattens Natural Balance L.I.D. Fish and sweet potato which is a 21% protien. Oh yeah, do not give any extra calcium supplements until the knuckling is gone. You don't want to help the bones strengthen and harden the way they are right now.

EDIT EDIT: I was lucky enough not to have to use any splints.

#26 ·
#27 ·
Thank you, me and my mom are going to go right now to pets mart to see what I can buy him, I will look into the food you assigned to me performanceknls, thanks so much, I called the vets here and they charge 47$ for an exam + the xrays and stuff they will give the dog, I think that is expensive! i dont have that kind of money to be spending at the moment but I will try the food and make sure he is not jumping or running, thanks a lot and I will see what happens after i feed him this food for awhile!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.