Pitbulls : Go Pitbull Dog Forums - View Single Post - Wondering if anyone does similar things to keep their dogs in shape?
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
truepits92

truepits92 reputation ninjatruepits92 reputation ninjatruepits92 reputation ninjatruepits92 reputation ninja
truepits92 reputation ninjatruepits92 reputation ninjatruepits92 reputation ninjatruepits92 reputation ninjatruepits92 reputation ninjatruepits92 reputation ninjatruepits92 reputation ninjatruepits92 reputation ninjatruepits92 reputation ninjatruepits92 reputation ninjatruepits92 reputation ninjatruepits92 reputation ninjatruepits92 reputation ninja
Question Wondering if anyone does similar things to keep their dogs in shape?

Hello all, my new routine is when I run my dogs with the bike they wear a weighted harness. I was looking online for different ones and didnít find any I really liked so off to Tractor Supply I went I looked at all the different chain types and weights and such and found one that was lighter weight just to start off with. I got a little over 5 feet. Then it was off to Joann Fabrics (That Joann she has everything) Anyway. I got some fleece and went to my aunts so she could help me with the sewing and the cutting (She a quilter & has handy things to help) So we doubled up on the fabric and made a nice soft cover for the chain. NOW before anyone jumps on me that it's mean or anything the chain is FULLY adjustable and was the only come what cheap way I could think to add a Little Bit of weight without anything awkward around or under my dogs. It securely wraps around their neck and chest and doesnít move around or bother them at all. The chain weighs about 6 pounds (not much) but I plan on making a few different weights. My idea behind it all is - I can almost not run my guys any more than I do. 7 dogs, 1 bike, 1 me and about 8 miles of safe road around with enough room to run 2 to 3 dogs beside me. I do not run them all with it (as I only have 1 harness lol) but rotate it on and off of them - 1 wears it one day for the whole run then 1 the next day and the next and so on and so forth so they are running (walking, trotting and running) about 3 miles with extra weight about 1 time a week. As they get used to the extra weight I will GRADUALLY up the amount of running that they carry the chain and then up the weight once a week, so on and so forth until they are all wearing an extra 6 pounds or so everyday then up to about 10 pounds SLOWLY. This not only makes them tired again and gives us nice runs that they are not so full of vinegar the whole run and all night. What do you think? Does anyone else do anything like this?
**Love Shelby, Kera, Bella, Nilla, King, Dora and Tonka!**
~Onwards & Upwards in the New Year!~
truepits92 is offline   Reply With Quote