Go Pitbull Forums banner

pitt/rott puppy living

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Firehazard 
#1 ·
Hello all. i recently got a pittbull puppy he is nine and a half weeks old and has been living with me for 2 week. My roommate got a rottweiler puppy the day before yday and he is 10 weeks old. This is both of our first time with dogs as pets and i was wondering if the are playing to rough. They play around and grab at each others skin legs etc. with minimal growling from time to time. Is this bad should, are they to rough, will they be able to coexist? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Welcome to GP and your PIT bull puppy will be fine with the Rott, but never underestimate a bulldog not to fight, he can show signs of DA as he gets older, if you are not working or showing either I suggest you spay or nueter them. And the growling is common, just remember you are alpha and when play time is too much You have to stop it. Good Luck I am sure you will get more advice from fellow members :D

#5 ·
What sex(s) are the pups?Pups do tend to roughhouse alot,Its good to have these interactions though.Pitbulls can sometimes be aggressive towards other dogs (usually male vs male)but that usually wont happen until they mature a bit.If one of you has a male and other a female they should always get along good but then you have to watch for when she goes into heat (usually6-9 months)or you will be having some mixed pups the world doesnt need any more of.You have come to the right place to learn.Since this is your first pitbull id suggest you spend lots of time searching this forum and asking questions.This breed can be a handfull sometimes and you can never know it all about them.Good luck with your first pit.We love pictures here so cough em' up LOL

#10 ·
Encourage them not to fight when they get going to rough; let them play tug of war or early fetch games using commands and early obiedience training.. Dont yell and hit them and promote good behavior through positive feedback and unwanted behavior through stern dissappointment. Get a dog crate for each of them and put them on top of each other in the same room; as they grow if you do the seperate room thing you can expect territorial disputes and they will because you and your roomate.. They need to SHARE space and be a pack and as was mentioned to you, you and your roomate are the alpha figures..

I used to teach puppy class for K9s and 7-14wks is the most influencial time.. you can teach them everything you want them to learn in this time.. by the time the dog is 18wks or so; its behavioral habits will be signs of what kind of dog you will get; lazy, hyper, shy, so on and so on.. Theres a sticky for training tips.. My tips are unorthidox and I would just say grab a book from CM Dog whisperer and practice the techniques; also grab a Richard Stratton book on APBTs; Dieter Flieg and others for the rott, and get to know your dogs what they are where they came from and they're natural drive to catch and hold stuff, ALWAYS remember they need excercise and your responcible for everything they do and do not do ;)

Good luck, best of wishes!!! Welcome aboard.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.