Go Pitbull Forums banner

Pup scared of barking dogs

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  k8nkane 
#1 ·
Took my pup for a walk the other day and walked down a street that I did not know in my area.

Turns out there was a barking dog at almost every second gate, my pup was scared stiff and would not walk, I had to go down on my knee's to get her attention and then only would she walk again... However at the next barking dog she would stop. I was walking in the middle of the street to ensure she was not close to other dogs

Eventually I picked her up and and carried her the rest of the way down the street, though she was still scared.

Any input on how to get her past this as a pup?

#9 ·
:goodpost: Good advice! That's exactly what I did! I have a hound mix across the street from me who has a very deep loud bark and Bella was terrified when she first heard him. She got over it and I didn't baby her. I just ignored it ;)

#3 ·
Will need to get a harness as will have to drag her if I just carry on walking...

As I said she is scared stiff and just spots on the spot and watches the dog barking. Could she maybe a bit to young as well to walk past so many barking dogs, she is just hitting 3 months old.

Was thinking of rather taking her down a road with less dogs next time, rather than a road with so many dogs?

#4 ·
At 12 weeks, she should have all her shots and be ready to go out into the world so to speak. I'm of the opinion that dogs should get used to all kinds of different environments and stimuli early on because it saves headaches later on. You could maybe try a different route next time but definitely come back to that road with the dogs on it to get her over it.

#5 ·
Actually in the US (that I'm aware of), puppies DON'T have all their shots at 12 weeks. It's usually around 4 months that puppies get their last shots.

OP, a puppy out for the first time is going to be scared of dogs barking because it's an unfamiliar sound they haven't experienced before. It's what you do that makes the difference.

Repeated exposure, without babying her, should do the trick. As she gets older and naturally gets more confident, she should begin to realize that the barking dogs aren't scary. Don't walk by the barking dogs every day though. Give her some time in between to be a puppy and be confident in herself and as time goes on, she'll trot right by those dogs without a backward glance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.