Pitbulls : Go Pitbull Dog Forums - View Single Post - Ideal amount of weight to lose?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 03:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
ames
Educate, Don't legislate

1x Welder\'s walk to end alzheimers 1x Devonte\'s harness fund
ames reputation ninjaames reputation ninjaames reputation ninjaames reputation ninjaames reputation ninjaames reputation ninjaames reputation ninjaames reputation ninjaames reputation ninjaames reputation ninjaames reputation ninjaames reputation ninjaames reputation ninjaames reputation ninjaames reputation ninja
ames reputation ninjaames reputation ninjaames reputation ninjaames reputation ninjaames reputation ninjaames reputation ninjaames reputation ninjaames reputation ninjaames reputation ninjaames reputation ninjaames reputation ninjaames reputation ninjaames reputation ninjaames reputation ninjaames reputation ninja
Send a message via AIM to ames Send a message via Yahoo to ames Send a message via Skype™ to ames
Ideal amount of weight to lose?

last month at Gargamel's checkup the vet told me Gargamel should lose some of the weight he has gained since he was neutered. I increased his workout (although in this heat he has not felt like walking, I can't say I blame him). I was reading other posts where it was mentioned that losing weight too fast just results in muscle loss so I am trying to see what people think too much is.

So ON July 1st he was 68.1lbs. Today, August 3rd he is 63.4 (down 4.7lbs for those, like me, who can't calculate fast)

Is 4.7lbs too much in a month? I was feeding 1.5 cups of kibble at morning and night, doggie ice cream once a night (Nature's Variety Frozen Treats for Dogs: SweetSpots Ice Cream Treats with Live Active Yogurt Cultures | Nature's Variety) and biscuits whenever he wanted them.

He now gets 1 cup of kibble in the morning and night, doggie ice cream cup at night (I could not take that away, lol) and only 6 biscuits a day.

Was taking away a third of his kibbles too much? Is 4.7lbs in a month good or too much? The vet said to come back next month and have someone look at him to see if he is ideal yet, but she thinks he will be ideal around 60lbs.

thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions

he really loves his ice cream... And I wish I could have someone cut my kibbles in third for me lol

“When you KNOW better you DO better.”
― Maya Angelou

Last edited by ames; 08-04-2011 at 04:02 AM.
ames is offline   Reply With Quote