Go Pitbull Forums banner

Tyson not eating!

Tags
eating tyson
1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Tyson2011 
#1 ·
:confused:I have read some of the other threads but my boy Tyson (13wks) will eat maybe a cup a day. This has been happening for a week or so now. I used to feed him Diamon Natural for puppies and he wasn't to fond of that, so I slowly started switching him to Taste of the Wild, but he still seems not to like it. I have a feeding schedule for him eating 3 times a day. I have his food with him for about 15 minutes and if he doesn't even take some nibbles out of it then I put it away until the 2nd feeding. Sometimes he'll barely nibble the 2nd feeding, so I put it away until the 3rd. On the 3rd he will eat most of it, but it still only a cup of food (same food left from the morning). I don't know what to do. I'm thinking of maybe buying some of that Natural soft food that's wrapped like ground beef to mix in his food because I don't know what else to do. It's starting to scare me. I know it's not good for him to eat about a cup or so a day! Any advise would be much appreciated. Also, I'm feeding him TOTW yellow bag.

Thank you all ahead of time.

#2 ·
Is he losing weight? if not i wouldnt worry to much he is eating something and going through growth spurts it can change. as long as he is UTD on shots, no other symptoms, is drinking, and isnt losing weight i wouldnt worry too much. dont start messing with the food you will either make a picky pup by adding yummy stuff to it or you will make him sick by adding new foods and switching stuff around too much. If they are hungry they will eat.

#3 ·
^^ what she said. Good luck.

#6 ·
Angelbaby: No he's not losing weight, he's still getting heavy and he is UTD on all shots. Thanks for replies. Ill just continue to keep him on his feeding times. TOTW is food I plan too keep him and my 5wk on for the rest of the time, I don't plan on switching anymore. Lesson learned.

Performanceknls: I actually did read that thread because I didn't want to pretty much didn't want to repost a threadn but Tyson seemed different. That thread is wwhat made me worry. The thread made me think skipping everyother feeding was normal or snacking here and there, but because tyson would eat maybe once and less than a cup it made me worry. But thank you and everyone else for their quick response.

I found one thing that made him eat more. I wet my 5wk old pits food so it won't be to hard and he staarted trying to eat hers, so I wet his a little and sure enough he's eating a little more.

#8 ·
:confused:I have read some of the other threads but my boy Tyson (13wks) will eat maybe a cup a day. This has been happening for a week or so now. I used to feed him Diamon Natural for puppies and he wasn't to fond of that, so I slowly started switching him to Taste of the Wild, but he still seems not to like it. I have a feeding schedule for him eating 3 times a day. I have his food with him for about 15 minutes and if he doesn't even take some nibbles out of it then I put it away until the 2nd feeding. Sometimes he'll barely nibble the 2nd feeding, so I put it away until the 3rd. On the 3rd he will eat most of it, but it still only a cup of food (same food left from the morning). I don't know what to do. I'm thinking of maybe buying some of that Natural soft food that's wrapped like ground beef to mix in his food because I don't know what else to do. It's starting to scare me. I know it's not good for him to eat about a cup or so a day! Any advise would be much appreciated. Also, I'm feeding him TOTW yellow bag.

Thank you all ahead of time.
First rule out medical, like Sharon said check the mouth and teeth if they look good how is his attitude? If all that is fine then lets look at your OP I read it again and here are some things to point out.

TOTW is a much better food than diamond and normally you will feed less of a better quality food than a lower quality. Proteins, fat, and energy content is going to be different and higher so feeding less makes sense.

Now you are feeding a 13 wk old 3 times a day that might be too much for that pup and I would cut down to 2 times a day. By 12-16 weeks you start to go to 2 times a day anyway and maybe it is just time to back off a little. What you describe sounds normal for a pup that age. I would back off to twice a day so the pup is hungrier at each meal time. How many cups per feeding are you giving right now? You might also need to adjust that.

I would not add anything extra to get the dog to eat other than like water, that's fine. Also don't switch foods unless the dog is not doing good but TOTW is a really good food. You do not want to make a picky eater and by switching foods or trying to get them to eat more will cause that. Dogs will not starve themselves they will eat when they feel they need to. In a few weeks my bet is your pup will eat everything in site when they get past this phase.

#10 ·
Thanks everyone. Tyson is doing a lot better and is eating all his food. I would feed him twice a day before until his phase of not eating and then that's when I fed him 3 times a day........ he eats twice a day and about 1 1/2 cups each time..........When looking at his gums what am i looking for?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.