Go Pitbull Forums banner

Why do people crop ears ???

228K views 67 replies 40 participants last post by  EckoMac 
#1 ·
A silly question...

I'm new to the pit bull family. Can somone advice me why people crop their dog's ear? Is it for a style? Isn't it painful? Is it done only for pitbulls?

Is it a style to cut the tail too?

#41 ·
For the people saying they wouldn't do it because the after care, the vet we use said most apbt's he has cropped, don't have problems with needing tape after a crop. Two's ears were up without tape the day after. We left the original tape on for a week under the vet's suggestion, though he said it's just a precaution.

#42 ·
I agree with most of the post's here already it's really a personal preference for the owner and for look's most show dog's I've noticed have their ear's cropped Personally I prefer them not to have their ear's crop's however the long crop is one I would consider from what I was told ( PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M INCORRECT ) is there's the battle crop ( which is barely any ear there at all ) the short crop and the long crop.

#45 ·
Angelbaby has a really cool picture of what they all can be there are 4 styles I believe, Ill see if I can find it. My favorite is the bell crop, its not pictured but its like the show crop but bellier, lol .

found the picture!

#44 ·
I have both cropped and un cropped. Nothing wrong with cropping a dog and yes our breed has little needed after care.

This post has been deleted
#49 ·
i honestly just made this profile strictly to ask what in the world is wrong with you people. Seriously you cut a dogs ear or tail because "they look cuter". What if your parents told you you would look better if you were shorter so they were going to cut your legs shorter or your fingers are too long so they are gonna trim them for you back to the next knuckle. Now I can understand if for a medical reason someone cropped their dogs ear, but only if a veterinarian says so, not some owner who wants their dog to look cuter. This isnt the friggin sims you can't just make your dog look exactly like you want. You people need to seriously check on your mental health.
If you've EVER watched a dog show on TV you will see dogs that have been docked or cropped for show purposes. If your gonna use the stand your using I must say people cut themselves to make them look cuter every day. Breast implants, nose jobs, tummy tucks...smh why open an account just to run your head to people about things you don't know?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#48 ·
You do it for aesthetics. For a working dog they are not beneficial. Just like woman pierce their ears, you do it to look pretty.

Docking the tail isnt much of a problem, but usually when the dogs are happy, they tend to wag their tail, but since they have no tail, they wag their hips, making them more prone to hip problems.

-Goodluck

#51 ·
Most cropping and docking nowadays is done for purely aesthetic reasons, meaning because someone likes 'the look' or because that's how they have always seen dogs of that breed. People tend to get really defensive about it, so it always seems to be a hot button topic. Cropping seems to be one of those topics that brings out the best and worst in people. I see tons of new posters come on and ask about their dogs crop (where to get it done, how it looks, how do they take care of it to make sure it ends up 'right' ) then post nothing more outside that thread. I do have to say this bothers me almost as much as the 'is he/she purebred' crap. As if how the dog looks is more important then the actual dog itself.

#52 ·
Typically for looks. but its also used to keep ear infections minimal. Floppy eared dogs such as pits are prone to ear infections and you constantly have to clean them in order to keep them from getting ear infections. so some people crop them to make it easier. Some people do the cropping at home which is painful but you can take them to a vet to have this done where they would use an local anesthetic. Docking the tail again is typically style but with some breeds extremely necessary like rotty's and pits, they both have really strong tails naturally so people will dock them to prevent them from breaking things or to prevent tail bruises when they sit and wack their tail to the ground

#53 ·
where did you get your facts???
ear infections are NOT prone to non cropped dogs, I had a dog with natural ears and never once had he gotten an ear infection , the 2 I have that do get them are both cropped. I did not have to clean the natural eared dog more then normal either.
And the tail reason for docking, they do not dock due to a strong tail. It is a balance issue in SOME breeds as to why people dock. Most of the time people dock for the same reason they crop, personal prefrence. Other people will dock if they have a dog who is experiencing happy tail but typically that is after they encounter injuries that wont heal on a tail and can be any breed.

#57 ·
myself, i've had many a dog with cropped ears, at one time thats what i liked. but over the years of constantly having to explain my dog, plus it does make them look more intimadating, its just not worth it. plus, now i like natural rears. got some front drop, some bat ears, but either way it makes the dog. got a little 32lb'er with bat ears that you wouldnt have a second thought about until you get within reach, then you;d think you step into the devils territory.

plus you used to hear that cropping ears was for fighting the dog. if anyone ever cropped their dogs ears for that reason, then their crazy.

but i agree with everyone else, personal preference, so whatever style you choose make sure its gonna make you happy, because there is no glueing them back on if you dont like them cropped YIS

#59 ·
there are several different reasons for cropping a dogs ears, if for no other reason than 'i wanted to' i just love bulldogs. as long as you take care of him and if you do take him out in public promote a positive image for the breed, i'm with you.

but if your some flunky, not takin care of your dogs i'll be the first to help straighten that out. whatever it takes. i've had APBT's for over 30yrs, i AM NOT one that likes to see an animal suffer or tortured, if i see that then you got a hard row to hoe with me. sorry if that seems a little strong, but thats the way it is.

i have a lifetime with these animals, you dont think i dont want the absolute best for them?????????????

sorry moderaters got a little carried away TAKE CARE, YIS

#60 ·
I really like how cropped ears look but I like natural ears more??? Mostly because my apbt mix girl has the SOFTEST ears and I love petting them, haha. My Bully boy I might end up getting cropped, I'm on the fence about it tbh. Since he's going to be a showdog I think the only reason I would actually crop his ears is if someone flat out told me it would make the difference between a win and a loss in the showring (which... it shouldn't). I do like how cropped looks but I think natural is just more appealing. =]

#61 ·
If you have an American Bully pup, (which if I remember correctly you do) and you plan on showing him, I would crop. If you look at all the bully champions, most are cropped. Cropping shows off the head features better.
I am with you on ears though! I love ears, but like crops too!

This post has been deleted
#62 ·
Cropping of pit bull ears is inhumane and selfish. How dare any one say that this is not a painful and torturous procedure. It is so ignorant that any one say otherwise. Please don't own an animal if you would consider doing this. They used to say it was ok to keep and whip slaves, now we know better. Get with the times and treat your animals with dignity and respect. You should be ashamed of yourselves for condoning this procedure!
....Really? Lol

It's hardly torturous, as long as a vet performs the procedure and the owner takes care of the ears properly afterwards. Sure there's some pain involved but there is also pain after neutering, dental cleanings, microchipping, vaccines, all kinds of other veterinary procedures a lot of people would call necessary.

#63 · (Edited)
this may be hard for some to understand, but there is TWO schools of thought on this one.

first, some think cropping is for a fighting dog,
but nothing could be farther from the truth,

if two dogs arein a contest, one with ears, one without, in my opinion the one without is at a disadvantage,

the ear does have some nerves in it but not enuf, so if the opponent has no ear to hold on to, it will be having damage done in other places, not a good thing,

now the one with ears can be having his chewed on, while he's wreaking havoc on his opponent.

my opinion is its entirely up to you, i used to like mine cropped, but the civilians think they look to mean, and you will never convince them otherwise,

and i have won shows[conformation] with dogs with UNCROPPED ears,

and i'm not trying to project some kind of tuff guy, tuff dog image

so, for over 20yrs now i've left all mine on, i like the natural look......................

#64 ·
I didn't crop Xena's ears because I don't think it would look very good on her. I like her silly ears. I considered it, though, and if I was to get a Dobe or a Great Dane I would crop the ears and have the Dobe's tail docked. If someone wants to crop their dog's ears as long as it is done by a vet and cared for afterwards it doesn't bother me one little bit. I think some dogs look very handsome with cropped ears :)

#65 ·
I have no idea I am so against ear cropping it does nothing for a dog it only changes them cosmetically for the owners preference, The dog was born with floppy ears for a reason, The dog doesn't choose to have his ears on and a dog can die during surgery all surgeries are risky, Please no one risk your dogs life for your preference, I only believe in surgeries that are medically needed

#66 ·
People crop ears because it became cultural, mostly in America. But it brings no good for the dog, is extremely painful, with a hard post-surgery for the dog, and has been criminalized in Europe and some other countries as an useless mutilation of your friend. Many developing countries also have already legislative projects to criminalize this kind of injury.
Many dogs who get their ears mutilated (doesn't matter the vet) get infections and other health problems, since their ears are not made to be that exposed (look for veterinarian opinions in google).
So, we should all keep our personal choices to our own skin. If you care about your buddy, don't privilege your taste rather than his pain and integrity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.