Go Pitbull Forums banner

Feeding questions

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  rhyno911 
#1 ·
Dog Carnivore Sighthound Wood Fawn

My girl is turning 6 months this January and I can't seem to put any weight on her. She's on a multivitamin and really good dog food. It's the natural balance potato and duck formula.

How many cups of food did u guys feed ur pup at this age? She's eating 4 cups of food a day two in the morning and two at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#4 ·
As long as you know there is nothing wrong health wise, your pup plays and goes the bathroom regularly, you could try a better quality kibble. Not that the one you are on is BAD just mean Acana has more protein, which will help with the weight and Orijen has more protein that Acana. You can try to adjust the KIND of food more than the amount. Typically you feed less with one of the 2 brands I mentioned so its overall cheaper or the same. Some people would recommend you start reading about a raw diet, some pups who have issues with Kibbles seem to be OK on RAW.

I think your girl looks OK, why are you trying to add weight on her? I don't see ribs really sticking out, and her shoulders are like that cause she is hunched over. Looks like she has a tuck. Seems like she is healthy. Why do you think she needs weight?

#7 ·
cool! Yeah most dogs are overweight so that's usually why a "healthy" dog looks too skinny.. nothing wrong with a little ribs or hips, ts when you can see the TOP most ribs or the spine that should be cause for concern, good for you for looking into though! Just didn't want you to worry if she looks good :)

#8 ·
She doesn't appear to be a bad weight at all she is at a stage that I have noticed happens in most dogs between 5 to 9 months old they go through what I call the"Labrador Stage" they are typically growing in height more then width and can look gangling. This is perfectly normal as long as her back bone and hip bones are not showing she is fine. I don't normally take pictures during awkward stages but I have one example of one of my deceased.

9 weeks

6 months

1 year

Not all dogs grow in the same way but, here is one example.

#11 ·
#13 ·
haha Labrador stage, that's totally what it is lol.

#14 ·
View attachment 13846

My girl is turning 6 months this January and I can't seem to put any weight on her. She's on a multivitamin and really good dog food. It's the natural balance potato and duck formula.

How many cups of food did u guys feed ur pup at this age? She's eating 4 cups of food a day two in the morning and two at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
She looks fine! Puppies go through stages were they are skinny then they even out. I have a pup who is the same age eating 4 cups of high protein high fat food and his sister eats 2 cups of the regular food I feed everyone else. Each dog is different you just have to go by how they look and adjust from there. I bet in a few weeks or a month you will have to cut back as her growth slows.

#15 ·
if u wanna put weight on ur pup raw is definitely way to do it I been feeding my dog raw and kibble mixed together since he was 4 months old , he is 15 months now Nd 75 lbs and already bigger than his father I give him merrick kibble with abbady raw his coat is very shiny has no health issues. Always go organic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.