Go Pitbull Forums banner

House Training!!!

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Buddy's Master 
#1 ·
I have a 3 1/2 month pit puppy & she pees & poops everywhere. I take her outdoors 3 times a day to go pee, poop & play! She will pee & play outside but she waits until we get back inside to poop! Any advice/suggestions to fix this problem!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
I would take her out more often. When Cain was that age we went out at least every 30-45 minutes. And he got watched like a hawk so if I saw signs of him needing to go out we went and I use "potty". So good boy go potty. He was fairy easy to house train, he always peed-when he had accidents-by the front door. Now he knows if he does need out to sit by the front door and wait. Does she give you any signs? Our female paces back and forth about 10 times before she poops. He used to walk behind furniture or against the wall and sniff and that was the sign we needed to go out ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#3 · (Edited)
Yeah agree with Cain. Until my boy got "it" we were out twice an hour. My boy is 4 and goes out 2-3 items a day but As a puppy it was wayyyy more often.

Does she have all her shots yet. My boy would give signs as well. He would do a small whine and Stare at me. That was my queue. (Still is lol)

I talk to my boy all the time. Bathroom is pee and poop is well poop my boy does both on command now. Just keep telling him what he is doing and praise and a high value treat and more praise like he pooped gold and you can or believe it.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

#4 ·
yeah the only experience i have with this is the foster i just had. Boss was not potty trained when i got him but he was also about 8 months old. i would take him out and while he is actually in the process of peeing or poopin i would tell him "good boy! go potty!" and then treat him when he was done. and eventually he understood that "go potty" treats only happen outside.

#8 ·
<-- New registeree here. I have a 7 month old Pit Bull that still pees inside, unfortunately he gives no warning. The only warning I can think of is occasionally he wanders into another room, to which I run after him to see if he pees and sometimes he does. We have been rewarding and praising him with treats when he goes outside, and we have been trying to do it often, but it appears that (from what I'm reading here) is I need to take him out constantly, up to twice and hour. We are thinking of training him to "ring the bells" that are dangling from the door to signal us, but we're not sure how to do that. Are bullies trainable to do this?

I take it potty trips will happen less when ours gets older? Like, say at 2 years and older, or later than that?

#9 ·
I would treat him like he's 3 months old. Out every half hour. How often do you take him out now? Once your dog understands outside potty you can start lengthening times. My boy is 11 months. When I'm home he goes out every few hours to potty. If he needs to go he sits by the door. I didn't teach him that he did it on his own lol. You can teach him to ring a be. We had one on the door for Christmas and when Cain sat by the door he would nudge it and ring it lol. Consistency is key. Lots of "good boy go potty!"

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#10 ·
I have two 4 month old pups and I tried the bells... They tried to eat them :( but my female has the sit by the door down pack almost and my male will just stare at me... Then I say is it time to go potty they both tilt their heads and start heading towards their leashes.... My male sometimes will do the same thing with just going pee without warning at all I mean wow I didn't understand at all lol but now I am picking up the signs ;)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.