Go Pitbull Forums banner

If any can identify whether my dog is full pitbull or not.

5K views 57 replies 19 participants last post by  Princesspaola21 
#1 ·
Hey, I've raised my dog Rogan since he was about 4 weeks old. He's about 8-9 months. Off and on I've doubted him being full breed pit or maybe him just being a different type. I have pictures of him so if anyone could identify what he could be, respond to me.. thanks guys

#2 ·
Looks don't identify if dogs are purebred. People can guess at what breeds may be mixed into a dog, but you have no way to know really how a dog is bred without papers of lineage.

#7 ·
All the above answers to your question are true, without papers, every dog is a mutt (or mixed breed).
You can't say a dog is a mutt any more than they can say it is purebred. Having no papers doesn't make a dog a mutt, yes it is very unlikely that the dog is pure of course, but with out papers the lineage is just unknown. No one knows if it is a mutt or pure without having any history on how the dog is bred.

#4 ·
Also there is no TYPE of pit bull. There is the American pit bull terrier an the pit bull is a nickname for that breed. People who use pit bull to describe tons of breeds or mixed breeds that contain any short haired dog with a blocky head are wrong. Like said above the only way to know of you have a pit bull is if you know the history.

Sent from Petguide.com App

#5 ·
:goodpost:

Yup there is no such thing as kinds or types of pit bulls. It's either an APBT or it's not. All this talk of red nose/blue nose ect..... just BS talk from the uneducated. The fact of the matter here is that there are so many different "bull" breeds and when mixed together they can still appear to look the same, or very similar. The only way to tell if the dog is pure bred, and what breed it actually is, is with registry papers that track the dogs lineage, or a pedigree. We can speculate all day long but there no way of really knowing anything.

#6 ·
Hello Jamar W,

All the above answers to your question are true, without papers, every dog is a mutt (or mixed breed). However, don't think of it as a negative term. Umnless you are planning to show or breed the dog it doesn't really matter. Mutts are magnificent!

Heck, most of the humans on this forum are mutts. I know I am. Just enjoy Rogan. I for one would still enjoy seeing his pictures.

Joe

#9 ·
I didnt see a pic however this is your scientific and legal answer..

"PitBull" is a slang term that NOW describes a group of dogs and or any dog of similar sort being: American Pit Bull Terrier APBT, American Staffordshire Terrier AST, Staffordshire Bull Terrier SBT, American Bully, Boston Terrier, Bandogs, Dogos,.. etc... etc....

In origin and in the hearts of fanciers the term "Pit Bull" still refers to the breed it was pulled from the American Pit Bull Terrier.. It predates this registery name however as the original bulldog was thrown into the [] and forever dubbed "pit bull".. That being said combined with the above paragraph you see a few of the breeds that come from that original pit bulldog and or parallel to it and so it is.. all those dogs on a TRUE DNA test, testing mtDna will show the same breed of dog, seperate from hounds, seperate from Spitz, .. Bulldogs.. simple as that, nothing more nothing less.. You have a bulldog .. or a mix.. take your pick.. ;) steer clear from registry breed names, when you have a pound puppy. Its all probability and its only 40% unless they get a TRUE DNA test themselves..

#10 ·
I consider a Mutt to be any dog of unknown origin... If you look up the definition it just means dog or Mongrel. And Mongrel means a dog of mixed or indeterminate breed.

I guess I should have specified what I construe the word mutt to mean.

I still stand by what I said using the definition of mutt to be a dog of indeterminate breed.

#11 ·
I always thought mutt meant a dog of unknown origin as well. Kinda leaves you in a bind if you cant call a dog a mutt and cant call it pure what do you call it? I would say mix or mutt to any dog without papers or proof of lineage. JMO

#12 ·
Where are you guys getting a definition that says a dog of unknown origin? Just because you don't know a dog origin doesn't make it a mutt. When a purebred dog has no papers it doesn't magically become a mutt. It's still a purebred dog you just have no proof of it.

As i said before yes usually they are going to be a mixed bred dog, but you can't claim it's a mutt just because you don't know how it's bred.

#13 ·
so now you will have people coming on saying they have pure bred dogs yet have no papers to prove it. Just curious where you would label a dog if someone asks you what it is or if it is pure? I would just call it a mutt until it can be proved it is pure, would you have it that it would be called purebred until it can be proved it isn't??? I just think in general to keep confusion down I will still label anything without papers { or proof, like if they knew the parents, and know the history even without papers), like shelter dogs I will call mutts or mix breeds. I get what you are saying though , but in general I think it is best to use that term.
I don't know about there but here we have laws about advertising " pure bred" without providing proof and registration papers within a timely manner. So anything without proof is called mutt or mix.

#14 ·
As I said above I would just call it a dog. When a person can't prove a dog is purebred it is no different than you being able to prove it's not. It's just a dog of unknown lineage. Most mixed bred dogs you can see other breeds, but when there is no obvious other breed IMO you can't say its a mutt.

You are welcome to your opinion of a mutt being a dog without papers. My opinion of a mutt is a dog that is mixed bred. If there is nothing to prove the dog goes either way then its just a dog to me.

This is just the first I have ever heard of anyone considering a dog a mutt regardless of whether it is a mixed breed dog or not. Just if it's not papered it's a mutt.....

#15 ·
As I said above I would just call it a dog. When a person can't prove a dog is purebred it is no different than you being able to prove it's not. It's just a dog of unknown lineage. Most mixed bred dogs you can see other breeds, but when there is no obvious other breed IMO you can't say its a mutt.

You are welcome to your opinion of a mutt being a dog without papers. My opinion of a mutt is a dog that is mixed bred. If there is nothing to prove the dog goes either way then its just a dog to me.

This is just the first I have ever heard of anyone considering a dog a mutt regardless of whether it is a mixed breed dog or not. Just if it's not papered it's a mutt.....
So what about when it comes to bully breeds? When a lot of them look similar, how can you 'see the other breeds'? You have people come on here all the time arguing that their dog is purebred because of it's looks or because the person they got it from said it is. But the reality of it is that looks do not define a dog and what breed it is.
I'll have to side with the others on this. If they don't have knowledge of the dog's origin at all or don't have papers, I'd just call it a mix. It most likely is anyway. Like these BYB saying their dogs are 'American bluenose/Colby' or whatever. They're just mutts. I'm not saying that it can't be a mutt with papers either. Papers are only as honest as the person you get them from.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#17 ·
No question some dogs have a look that is obvious of what they are, but you still can't bet the bank on it. I think the word mutt is a little harsh too. The last thing we should tell some one that their dog is garbage just because there is no pedigree registered on the dog. Most people own a dog because they love the particular dog, not because of what breed they are. Your dog is a dog unless the papers say otherwise. No papers, no big deal. It's still the best dog in your eyes.

#22 ·
I don't think mutt is a bad word, I think more often then not people take that word too harsh. I don't think saying a dog is a mutt is taking away from the value of that dog as a dog. Just as I don't think papers makes a dog. I do understand what Holly is saying , sure there can be dogs with no papers that are pure, it happens all the time. Just as there are papered dogs that are obvious mixes. I think if you don't have proof though then atleast call it a Bully breed or bully breed mix vs stating it is such and such breed where you really can't prove it.

#18 ·
i dunno.. to me i always just felt that uknown=mutt. in the same sense of uknown father=bastard. but either way i love my mutt. not derogatory to me at all... :D

#20 ·
I didn't say BULLIES. I said bully breeds. The general 'pit bull type' dogs. I know you don't have bullies. And was not attacking you or anything. Was just curious how someone could see what a dog is mixed with when a lot of breeds look similar. And with am bullies, yeah, I'd consider a lot of them mutts. But I'd rather them be considered their own breed than people thinking they're what true bulldogs should look/act like.
And I know a lot of dogmen didn't register their dogs, or they had handwritten pedigrees. So no, not ALL paperless dogs are mixed. But I'd say nowadays (and depending where you get the dog) it probably is. I guess, yeah, there's no PROOF that a dog, take my shelter dog for example, is mixed, but there's no proof that she's not. So I'm not going to say she is purebred. And I'd tell other people to do the same.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#24 ·
The word "Mutt" has many definitions just as "Pit Bull" has come to mean many different animals according to the media as well as within the "dog world".

To older folk the term "Mutt" can mean Cur, can mean dog/canine, can also mean dog of unknown OR dog of mixed origin. Depending on region can depend on usage and definition following the name mutt.

However, if you don't want to call a dog a mutt call it a Cur, Pet Dog, Rescue Dog, Shelter Dog or hell better yet just a dog. People are so damned sensitive now in days in HAVING to attach a name to the animal so they can tell others. It ain't OTHERS dog(s), it is YOUR dog.

Function defines, individual pup matures and makes a name for itself. Period. Many that argue what an unknown is, what a "Pit Bull" is, preach.. Don't know what they are talking about themselves thus have no business "educating".

Call a spade a spade. Simple.

#25 · (Edited)
The word "Mutt" has many definitions just as "Pit Bull" has come to mean many different animals according to the media as well as within the "dog world".

To older folk the term "Mutt" can mean Cur, can mean dog/canine, can also mean dog of unknown OR dog of mixed origin. Depending on region can depend on usage and definition following the name mutt.

However, if you don't want to call a dog a mutt call it a Cur, Pet Dog, Rescue Dog, Shelter Dog or hell better yet just a dog. People are so damned sensitive now in days in HAVING to attach a name to the animal so they can tell others. It ain't OTHERS dog(s), it is YOUR dog.

Function defines, individual pup matures and makes a name for itself. Period. Many that argue what an unknown is, what a "Pit Bull" is, preach.. Don't know what they are talking about themselves thus have no business "educating".

Call a spade a spade. Simple.
No one here is talking about what a pit bull is. Why is that almost every post you make turns into a debate over what a pit bull is and isn't? Also your last sentence.. You want to blow your load on who should and should not be "educating" blow it else where. You talk down to the majority of our members because they own pets, so the only educating you do is to your friends because no one else cares to wait for you to get off your soap box about what is and is not an APBT long enough to even listen to what else you have to say. The people who actually need educating you treat like shit. Also I said just call it a dog, YOU are the one so concerned on what to label dogs.

To all the rest I understand what you are saying. If a mutt means unknown origin, then yeah it's a mutt. To me it means mixed breed, which is something you don't know unless the mixing is obvious. So there for I am not going to regard peoples dogs as mutt when I have no clue if they are mixed bred. There is nothing wrong with calling it a dog to me. You feel you have to label it a mutt go ahead.

#27 ·
Being as I am the one arguing what an unknown is seemed pretty directed to me. Next time I feel like being a bitch I will clarify first.

#31 ·
It's very possible to have a pure bred dog with no papers. I have one ;) Things happen, papers are lost and dogs get stolen, that's how I ended up with him in the first place but I was fortunate enought to find his breeders, meet his dam and sire and look at their peds. So no I wouldn't consider every dog with no papers to be a mutt or mixed.

#32 · (Edited)
If you don't know many generations yes I would call that dog a mutt yes. Do you know his grandparents and great grandparents, etc and know they were not a different breed? Then its not unknown and isn't a mutt. Does that make sense? But I never said all non papered dogs are mutts, I said if you do not know your dogs history it is unknown aka a mutt. Some mutts could be mixed and some mutts are unknown like my dog is.

What would you call my dog?

I am also confused, the dictionary isn't something that's opinion to me. Definitions of words, can't be opinions because they are facts. It can be interpreted differently I guess as languages are, I call a soda tonic some people call it pop. But its not something you can really agree to disagree on, when its facts. Its accept or not accept.

What I meant by they are all just dogs and people not calling them that was they all may have physical or mental traits of a breed, but they might not. You can assume things about what the breed might be, but in the end they are a dog, each dog is different no matter what breed it is.

I have also said MANYMANY times on MANY MANY posts that a mutt means you do not know its history. And when people get bent out of shape that they have a pit bull 'cause it looks like one, I have included the following:

#34 ·
As I said depending on your dictionary you will get a different definition. Directly out of a 2005 Webster's New College Dictionary. Not a single word about unknown. So no its not fact, it's opinion.

Mutt :A mongrel dog (see mongrel)
Mongrel: 1.An animal or plant, esp dog, resulting from various interbreedings
2.A cross between two different breeds- of mixed origin or character.

#35 · (Edited)
Mine is Websters Dictionary as well, what year was yours published lol?? Looks like you might need an updated one since online has expanded definitions lol :) Just checked Oxford british and American versions, still has the elaborated definition above. So weird!

#36 · (Edited)
Just bought it brand new. It is for my Business English course and had to be new to be approved. Definition vary no matter what its not about updating lol.

#37 ·
Not really could have been published a while back and still being sold lol Plus why is there only 2 definitions listed? they don't list all the word meanings? What kinda college you going to girl! (kidding!!)

#38 ·
LMAO. No the whole first 3 weeks was all about current dictionaries as new words are added as well as using reference books. Jeeezeee how many definitions do you think I can carry! This book is already big enough. You'll be having my carring around an Unabridged dictionary! lmao

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.