Go Pitbull Forums banner

Thinking about weight pulling

5K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  motocross308 
#1 ·
It's something my husband and I have both been interested in, but never REALLY looked into. But we're thinking we'd like to see how the dogs do with it and get Ammo into it once he's old enough. I think it would be something good for Cain, although I doubt Sheba will be all for it lol. Now my question is do the dogs have to be registered(papered) to wp? I've been searching through threads but couldn't find the answer(I'm also on my phone so using search is almost pointless). I did read you can buy training harnesses, any suggestions on a good place to order those and a regular one for Cain?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
No they dont need to be registered. For training I use a normal wp harness. Id check brown dog designs to get a harness. I know a guy locally to me(central Illinois) that makes harnesses if youre interested.

What I do is long walks with a drag sled only in the am and add weight to the drag sled and shorten the walk times in the pm. Im trying to get flex on rails by july if at all possible thays why he gets worked like that. If u need info or are interested in a harness from the guy I know just pm me and ill help as much as I possibly can.

#3 ·
Yea Cain is done growing in pretty sure so we would order him a nice one but Ammo, who's only a little guy, won't be done growing for quite a while so I don't want to get him one when he's 6-9 months just to have him grow out of it. That's why I asked about the training ones. Does your friend have a website? I've been looking at the links posted in the stickies but want to keep all options open.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#5 ·
With the IWPA and the APA your dog can compete as is. But for UKC, and AKC you will have to alter your dog in order to register for their limited registration which allows you to compete in most sports.

Table Rock Harness has training harnesses that adjust! Weight Pull Training Harnesses

And then when you are ready to order a big boy harness for him you get 25% off of it!!!

#6 ·
It's something my husband and I have both been interested in, but never REALLY looked into. But we're thinking we'd like to see how the dogs do with it and get Ammo into it once he's old enough. I think it would be something good for Cain, although I doubt Sheba will be all for it lol. Now my question is do the dogs have to be registered(papered) to wp? I've been searching through threads but couldn't find the answer(I'm also on my phone so using search is almost pointless). I did read you can buy training harnesses, any suggestions on a good place to order those and a regular one for Cain?
I prefer Tablerock Harnesses and Dog Supplies and you can get a sled from them as well. You only have to be registered if you are pulling UKC or ADBA ( in a registry venue) but there are many venues for all dogs. Some registries also have limited Privilege registration so you can pull with them, however dogs must be altered.

These are all WP venues

IWPA - International Weight Pull Association - International Weight Pull Association (US & Canada) - all breeds & mixes

Loading... - United Kennel Club (US & Canada) - must be registered UKC or have UKC temp id

Alaskan Malamute Club of Wisconsin - Alaskan Malamute Club of Wisconsin - all breeds & mixes

Tri-State Alaskan Malamute Club - Tri-State Alaskan Malamute Club (in and around Wisconsin) - all breeds & mixes

APA Home Page - American Pulling Alliance (International) - all breeds & mixes

http://www.nationalkennelclub.com/Up...nkc_events.htm - National Kennel Club - must be registered NKC

American Dog Breeders Association - American Dog Breeders Association

http://gsmdca.homestead.com/NewsEven...ntsEvents.html - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog Club of America - breed specific

http://www.saintbernardclub.org/2008...pecialties.htm - Saint Bernard Club of America - breed specific

http://www.samoyedclubofamerica.org/..._overview.html - Samoyed Club of America - breed specific

Alaskan Malamute Club of America - Alaskan Malamute Club of America - breed specific

http://american-bulldog.com/ - American Bulldog Association

Working American Bulldog Association - Working American Bulldog Association - breed specific

ALL AMERICAN DOG REGISTRY,LLC - All American Dog Registry - must be AADR registered

Home - - United Pulling Federation - all breeds/mixes - US, UK, Europe

index - IronDog International - all breeds - US, Mexico, UK, Europe

http://www.americanpurebredalliance.com/ - American Purebred Alliance - Pitbulls - US

Upcoming Events - Northcentral Working Dog Club (MN & WI) - all breeds - must be registered with the North American Dog Sports Registry

http://www.nadsr.com/CalenderMain.html - North American Dog Sports Registry - all breeds must be registered with NADSR

Titles - NWDA - National Working Dog Association - U.S. - open for all breeds, must be NWDA member

http://www.bullbreedcoalitionregistr...ll-events.html - Bull Breed Coalition Registry - bully breeds only

Event Schedule - Global Pulling Alliance - Global Pulling Alliance - all breeds

World Wide Weight Pull Organization - World Wide Weight Pull Organization - all breeds

#11 ·
Lol yea I saw your first post and was like holy cow! Then saw your changed one
GP kept giving me a databse error and wouldn't post so I kept trying to revise it. Then when it finally posted I saw it posted all the other ones to :curse: LOL

#15 ·
Find a kennel that does WP and excels in it with their dogs. Go to events and talk to people about what they have and where it came from. Many bloodlines produce good pull dogs. A high drive dog is all you need and the rest comes from good training.

While a chevy/whopper dog will likely be a good puller they are not APBT and there is so much controversy over the dogs you might not want to deal with it all when trying to enjoy your dog and the sport.

#18 ·
Thanks, I'm noticing that once I began my google church that. They resemble more of an am. bulldog, I took a look at dagger kennels and they have a larger size breed. Idk if this sounds crazy but does the color of the nose matter when it comes to purity of the APBT?
APBT comes in red, black and Blue nose, but no color has nothing to do with purity. As I stated above those Chevy and Dagger dogs are not APBT.

#24 ·
Good to hear you are wanting to venture off in the pullin world. I tried it and had a good time with it. I aint any xpert at it but sure would like to get better. They have a cool point system, and if you have a dog that pulls, its worth a shot, right??
pedigree for some, but not others, depends on some things. you can also use other breeds to pull with, which is cool. Iv been to a few different pulls--APA..UPWf or what it is, and they all seem to be ok. The folks putting it on could always use help and they will help you back and try to get you in the swing.

#25 · (Edited)
If you're from MO, you should talk to Missy Villines with her Browndogs. She's near Springfield, I believe. You can get in touch with her via the BrownDog Design website. BrownDog Design Harnesses

ETA. I apologize. I realize I responded to the sub-topic here and not the OP. To the OP, check out the link I posted, too. Missy has great pull dogs and great harnesses. The pulls you're going to find here in MO are most likely to be APA or IWPA. The Gateway Sled Dog Club here in STL has IWPA pulls, and the APA Nationals are held at Purina Farms every year.

#27 ·
its really hard to just pick a pup out and have it be great . Alot of being a good puller depends on getting a dog that has natural drive and just wont quit on you . Find a Kennel that does serious working events and do your best to pick a pup that seems like it has drive and attitude yet wants to be with people .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.