Pitbulls : Go Pitbull Dog Forums - View Single Post - Conditioning; Tips Appreciated. (image heavy)
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
APASA

APASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninja
APASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninjaAPASA reputation ninja
Conditioning; Tips Appreciated. (image heavy)

So, aside from giving the dogs a workout on occasion for the fun of it, or having them tag along on a 4-wheeler ride or hog hunt, I've never really decided I was going to condition one of my dogs, and then get out on a daily basis and work towards that goal. Well.. now I have. I really do not know "how" to do it in terms of a "by the book" method.

Thus far, I haven't had a set routine, or written out a schedule. I've just taken her out everyday and in some form or another got her going until her breathing and energy level/reaction time have let me know she needs to stop. Some days one "workout" is all we do, others we may get out and work several times throughout the day.

The different workouts have included a lot of flirt work, mostly because that's her favorite, but also because it's the easiest to get out a do where ever we are, and it fits in the best on days I get busy. We usually take a good walk sometime during the day, usually in the morning, and I've put a harness on her with a small weight, just enough to give a lil resistance, a time or two. I also took her swimming with a harness on (not a weight pull harness) and used the flirt pole to make her pull the john boat around the pond (but I'ma get her a life jacket before we do that again lol). I've also taken her running with the 4-wheeler a time or two, although, she's not the most fluid runner on the yard haha

I think that's it as far as the diff activities go. I had a jenny.. But Rebel, broke it > So until it's repaired I won't be able to use it.. Although I think I can rig it for now..

Anyhow.. I feed raw prey model style and I was wondering if anyone had any tips as to the best way to feed a dog your trying to condition.. I know with kibble you can measure everything in cups..

Or is there anything I should do that I'm not?

I will add pics later.. Im in the middle of my second week with her.. so just getting started..

Thanks in advance

APASA: Aint Pit Aint **it Association

To be better educators we must adress both the answer to the question, as well as the ignorance at blame for the question.
APASA is offline   Reply With Quote