Picky eaters 101:
Picky eaters are created. If you allow your dog to pick and choose what to eat, they win and you lose. You must choose a good food that works well for your dog (health wise) and stick to it (in this case raw meaty bones). You are the parent and the one in control of your dog’s health
, not your dog because they do not know what is best. You must regain
pack leadership and respect
from your dog by being in control.
1. Pick a good, healthy food (either RAW or a quality dog food).
2. Stick to it
no matter how “picky” your dog seems. Only
change foods if you notice a health issue.
3. Get on scheduled feeding times.
at any time coax
your dog to eat the food, whether that be vocal reinforcement or adding anything to it to make it more enticing to eat.
Just simply set the food down and go about your business.
5. Offer a meal of the food you choose and give your dog no more than 15 minutes to eat it.
If they don't touch it, pick it up to
feed at the next feeding time.
6. Offer the food again at the next scheduled feeding. Same as before give no more than 15 minutes.
If not touched, pick it up and save for the next feeding time.
7. Give NO snacks or treats between feeding times (until you succeed at this picky eater issue).
8. Keep offering the same food
each meal time until it is eaten. Keep this up until it’s not an issue and your dog will eat what you choose. This may take days
! I know people who had dogs go 5
days without eating.
Things to remember:
1. No healthy
dog will intentionally
starve itself. Each time your dog doesn’t
eat what you put down, they
are choosing not to eat
…you are not
starving your dog. You are providing them what you think is the best nutrition there is and that is what you have to keep in mind.
2. Picky eaters are manipulative.
Every time you cater
to their wants
, they win and are in control.
Whether you give them added attention or additions, they
are getting what they want
in life for them should be free and that definitely
applies to your respect
is key in this situation. Some dogs are so set in their ways that it will take days for them to cave in and just eat.