Ok so I need some info and help. - Pitbulls : Go Pitbull Dog Forums

           
   

Go Back   Pitbulls : Go Pitbull Dog Forums > General Pitbull Forums > Health & Nutrition > Raw Foods



GopitBull.com is the premier Pitbull Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Forum Information
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Posts: 15

Forum Staff:
redog
YUNGSTER
ThaLadyPit
Rudy4747
ames
coach
Carriana
jttar
BCdogs
EckoMac


There are currently users online.

Advertisements

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
 
shewerewolf's Avatar
 

shewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninja
shewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninja
Ok so I need some info and help.

So I feel like a dummy. I know all about dog breeds and training but this RAW diet stuff is like a puzzle to me. We would like to switch our 4 dogs to raw when we move...problem is im not brilliant enough to come up with a food plan and i was wondering if anyone could help me understand RAW a bit better. I have read alot about it from Prey Model Raw and other sites. So if someone could like give me examples of some daily meals for my mutts and how much i should give i would be super grateful.

Alexa is 45 lbs and somewhat active...her hips restrict alot of activity.

Drake is 70 lbs of pure fire...he is super energetic.

Magnus is 87 lbs of goofiness...he does get quite abit of exercise and is moderately active.

Our new pup is unknown but im sure i can figure that one out if someone gives me examples for those 3.
shewerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
 
Firehazard's Avatar
 

Firehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninja
Firehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninjaFirehazard reputation ninja
proteins and fat.. rice or potatoes and a type of green .. beans, collards, peas, ...

you can estimate the stomach is the size of the head. 2/3 of that portion should be meat 4 of 7 .. 2/3 should be rice or potatoes, the remaining 1/3 should be divided between greens both night and the vice verse of the one of the two portions. There you have proteins, amino acids, and enzymes needs to regulate a healthy mind, body, and heart..

Feed them once a day healthy portion dogs do great on that. If you feed twice a day alternate the portions smaller unless you want extra chunky dogs.


local butcher.. ask for..
cuttin's from the heart, liver, neck ,ribs, and hips that they don't use.. Fats .. .. and store them in a freezer. Most butchers will give this stuff away because they're charged to dump it as hazmat so to speak. I get the leg bones and steer heads as well..

Matter a fact Im going to get my industrial 44 gal trash cans and take em over yonder to the butcher was just cleaning out the freezer earlier today. Load it up for the year
__________________
Keep on Bulldoggin'...
The views expressed herein this post do not condone any violations of the "Animal Welfare Act of 1976"
http://awic.nal.usda.gov/nal_display...ment_default=0
Firehazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
 
shewerewolf's Avatar
 

shewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninja
shewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehazard View Post
proteins and fat.. rice or potatoes and a type of green .. beans, collards, peas, ...

you can estimate the stomach is the size of the head. 2/3 of that portion should be meat 4 of 7 .. 2/3 should be rice or potatoes, the remaining 1/3 should be divided between greens both night and the vice verse of the one of the two portions. There you have proteins, amino acids, and enzymes needs to regulate a healthy mind, body, and heart..

Feed them once a day healthy portion dogs do great on that. If you feed twice a day alternate the portions smaller unless you want extra chunky dogs.


local butcher.. ask for..
cuttin's from the heart, liver, neck ,ribs, and hips that they don't use.. Fats .. .. and store them in a freezer. Most butchers will give this stuff away because they're charged to dump it as hazmat so to speak. I get the leg bones and steer heads as well..

Matter a fact Im going to get my industrial 44 gal trash cans and take em over yonder to the butcher was just cleaning out the freezer earlier today. Load it up for the year
I thought with PMR there were no veggies or anything like that. is it necessary to have? thanks so much for all the info
shewerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 07-07-2013, 03:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Silver VIP Member
 
Cain's Mom's Avatar
 

Cain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninja
Cain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninja
I believe if you do pmr there are no veggies. I think barf(that could be incorrect lol) is with veggies.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Cain's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
 
shewerewolf's Avatar
 

shewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninja
shewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninja
Also I already feed once daily so thats no biggie....they dont eat the second portion if i feed them twice...so they eat once a day in the evening
shewerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
 
shewerewolf's Avatar
 

shewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninja
shewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninja
Thats what I thought. I just want to make sure I know all the quantities and necessities before we switch
shewerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Silver VIP Member
 
Cain's Mom's Avatar
 

Cain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninja
Cain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninjaCain's Mom reputation ninja
I'm looking into it too once bills are caught up from my husbands lay off I want to get mine on it, I believe it's 2-3 percent of the body weight. My inlaws had a mastiff forum they ran and a lot of the members there did raw and so I've been looking at it also to just see what some of their meal plans were.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Cain's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
 
shewerewolf's Avatar
 

shewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninja
shewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninjashewerewolf reputation ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain's Mom View Post
I'm looking into it too once bills are caught up from my husbands lay off I want to get mine on it, I believe it's 2-3 percent of the body weight. My inlaws had a mastiff forum they ran and a lot of the members there did raw and so I've been looking at it also to just see what some of their meal plans were.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
yea I figured out the lbs needed daily for each dog but im still figuring out what key things should be added and when. I'll figure it out. Im hoping it will help my girl with her allergies..she does "ok" on the food shes on but they all could look better and i think raw will help..
shewerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diggin' Deep
 
::::COACH::::'s Avatar
 

1x Dog of the Month
::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja
::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja::::COACH:::: reputation ninja
I only ever fed all raw during the hunting season and as of yesterday I totally switched my two over from Acana to PMR (though I will probably give them occasional fruits/veggies). So i am super new to it! I asked a similar question in a fb group and someone posted a pic for me of a typical meal for her 40-45lb dogs who are active. She basically had a bowl with a leg quarter, a kidney or liver (organ meat) and an egg occasionally. So for Magnus I would think two leg quarters would do for him? Or maybe a whole rabbit and some organ meat would be ok for him? This is just me thinking out loud...I was at the store yesterday and saw rabbits (which I am very excited about giving to ours eventually once they get used to it) and one rabbit looked about the size of two leg quarters..but I could be wrong. sorry if this is no help!
__________________
_____________________









"It's a nokalokapoopalotadoocanidragaleashalupus. It's a breed of mixed, strained money extorted
practically useless spin off of a once noble breed." --William Williamson
::::COACH:::: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
 

r1balla is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm going to eventually move over to raw as I learn more. Right now I feed blue buffalo wilderness but after evening workouts, I will only do maybe 1/2 cup of Kibble then the rest raw trying to figure out what she responds best to... Etc. Is this a dumb way of starting? She likes potatoes, eggs and chicken... This weekend I'll introduce greens.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
r1balla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
 

OldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninja
OldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninjaOldDog reputation ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::::COACH:::: View Post
I only ever fed all raw during the hunting season and as of yesterday I totally switched my two over from Acana to PMR (though I will probably give them occasional fruits/veggies). So i am super new to it! I asked a similar question in a fb group and someone posted a pic for me of a typical meal for her 40-45lb dogs who are active. She basically had a bowl with a leg quarter, a kidney or liver (organ meat) and an egg occasionally. So for Magnus I would think two leg quarters would do for him? Or maybe a whole rabbit and some organ meat would be ok for him? This is just me thinking out loud...I was at the store yesterday and saw rabbits (which I am very excited about giving to ours eventually once they get used to it) and one rabbit looked about the size of two leg quarters..but I could be wrong. sorry if this is no help!


I personally never use kidneys , knowing the bodily function I stay away from them.

If you're feeding wild rabbit never feed it raw , and learn the signs of Tularemia , when you're cleaning it of the liver or other internal organs show any white spots , bury or burn the carcass , wash everything with disinfectant.

Bear or pork has to be cooked adequately to avoid trichinosis.

Beef hearts are really good , pork liver is supposed to be better than beef or chicken , game meats , elk , venison , antelope , moose or caribou.

Fish , once deboned , and yes just as FH mentioned , collards , spinach , turnip greens and other veggies........*NO onions* EVER , google the effects on the renal system in canines for info.
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
 
pookie!'s Avatar
 

pookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninja
pookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninja
The general rule for amount to be fed is 2-3% of the dogs body weight, more or less can be added if the dog is getting too thin or too fat since their metabolisms differ as well as feeding more if they exercise more etc.

The rule for PMR on amounts is 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, and 10% organs. I feed a pretty close PMR diet with no veggies or grains and just some oils, acv so its not a strict PMR diet but close.

If you are needing a step by step how to get started, here How to get started feeding a Prey Model Raw Diet - Raw Chat - PMR Articles - articles - Prey Model Raw this is a fool proof start up and you can get an idea of the timeline. I kind of followed it when I got started but didnt need to take as long on adding more stuff because my dog did well and had no issue adjusting. Some need to follow it strictly and some need to go slower. Depends on the dog.

Now since I feed PMR or close to it, we dont give grains or veggies at all. I see no point UNLESS they are working, and then I would add in some dark leafy greens and beets possibly, but they would have to be blanched and then blended otherwise the dogs dont break them down and make much use from them, since they are carnivores and all.

Here is what I feed regularly and tend to stick close to for now.. once we move and have more options for wild meats we will add in more wild stuff but this is the gist of our feeding

We feed chicken as our bulk meat, bone in chicken quarters. We add in beef muscle meat of some kind, usually beef cheek or beef heart. We dont add too much. We feed a mix of organs, beef/pork/chicken.. we feed mostly liver and kidneys, liver is the important and MUST one, the more variety in organs the better but liver is the big one.
We feed mackerel and sardines, right now canned but once we find frozen in bulk we will feed those.
Whole raw eggs, on the nights we dont give eggs we give olive, fish, coconut and vegetable oils alternating. ACV.
And thats pretty much it, the blue mutt is about 65lbs, he gets 1.5lbs of food roughly. The APBT is about 50lbs and gets the same amount or less. I dont weigh things atm, no need too and just eyeball and have it down by looks how much the dogs need, and add or lessen depending on exercise etc.

There are no limits on what you can and cant feed meat wise. Most stay away from weight bearing bones or large ungulates, although some do feed them, I dont. I like my dogs teeth lol, also deer spine is in that category of no no bones.
Anything wild caught, whether it be hoofed, fling or swimming should be frozen for 3-4 weeks or longer.

Hope that helps.

Remember, raw is not the end all be all to dog health and it is not a cure all either.. although it does usually stop or greatly improve most allergies and issues dogs commonly have, even the non food related issue.
Also the joy of raw feeding is being able to do what you want, so long as you stick to the core meat, bone, organ you can make it as complicated or as simple as you want.
Dont over think things, its really not as hard as you think and dont feel stupid asking questions, ask away and dont stop asking because even if it seems silly if you ask and it makes you feel better knowing little things you will move forward with much more ease lol
__________________
"When you truly give it your all, you are not afraid to fail. But rather can't wait to succeed." -Robert Griffin III
pookie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
 
DieselsMommie's Avatar
 

DieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninja
DieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninjaDieselsMommie reputation ninja
I'm interested in the RAW diet, when did you guys start your dogs on it? My boys only a puppy and I'm not sure if he's too young or not to start it.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
DieselsMommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
 
pookie!'s Avatar
 

pookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninja
pookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninjapookie! reputation ninja
There is no age you have to wait until to start and no age you cant start after.

I started my dog on a 50/50 diet at around 6mo old and he was full raw by 9mo or so. Been on it since and he is coming up on 3 years old.
Started the BFs dogs on raw in Jan, Turbo turned 6 in Jan.

Probably going to start the pups on raw when we get them in Oct and the same for the ones that are yet to be born as well.
__________________
"When you truly give it your all, you are not afraid to fail. But rather can't wait to succeed." -Robert Griffin III
pookie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
 

r1balla is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie! View Post
The general rule for amount to be fed is 2-3% of the dogs body weight, more or less can be added if the dog is getting too thin or too fat since their metabolisms differ as well as feeding more if they exercise more etc.

The rule for PMR on amounts is 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, and 10% organs. I feed a pretty close PMR diet with no veggies or grains and just some oils, acv so its not a strict PMR diet but close.

If you are needing a step by step how to get started, here How to get started feeding a Prey Model Raw Diet - Raw Chat - PMR Articles - articles - Prey Model Raw this is a fool proof start up and you can get an idea of the timeline. I kind of followed it when I got started but didnt need to take as long on adding more stuff because my dog did well and had no issue adjusting. Some need to follow it strictly and some need to go slower. Depends on the dog.

Now since I feed PMR or close to it, we dont give grains or veggies at all. I see no point UNLESS they are working, and then I would add in some dark leafy greens and beets possibly, but they would have to be blanched and then blended otherwise the dogs dont break them down and make much use from them, since they are carnivores and all.

Here is what I feed regularly and tend to stick close to for now.. once we move and have more options for wild meats we will add in more wild stuff but this is the gist of our feeding

We feed chicken as our bulk meat, bone in chicken quarters. We add in beef muscle meat of some kind, usually beef cheek or beef heart. We dont add too much. We feed a mix of organs, beef/pork/chicken.. we feed mostly liver and kidneys, liver is the important and MUST one, the more variety in organs the better but liver is the big one.
We feed mackerel and sardines, right now canned but once we find frozen in bulk we will feed those.
Whole raw eggs, on the nights we dont give eggs we give olive, fish, coconut and vegetable oils alternating. ACV.
And thats pretty much it, the blue mutt is about 65lbs, he gets 1.5lbs of food roughly. The APBT is about 50lbs and gets the same amount or less. I dont weigh things atm, no need too and just eyeball and have it down by looks how much the dogs need, and add or lessen depending on exercise etc.

There are no limits on what you can and cant feed meat wise. Most stay away from weight bearing bones or large ungulates, although some do feed them, I dont. I like my dogs teeth lol, also deer spine is in that category of no no bones.
Anything wild caught, whether it be hoofed, fling or swimming should be frozen for 3-4 weeks or longer.

Hope that helps.

Remember, raw is not the end all be all to dog health and it is not a cure all either.. although it does usually stop or greatly improve most allergies and issues dogs commonly have, even the non food related issue.
Also the joy of raw feeding is being able to do what you want, so long as you stick to the core meat, bone, organ you can make it as complicated or as simple as you want.
Dont over think things, its really not as hard as you think and dont feel stupid asking questions, ask away and dont stop asking because even if it seems silly if you ask and it makes you feel better knowing little things you will move forward with much more ease lol
Great post. Gotta find a butcher shop now

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
r1balla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
info



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:25 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
pitbull , pitbulls , pit bulls , american pitbull terrier , apbt , bsl , pitbull forums , pitbull pictures , pitbull information
Go Pitbull Site Map
Go Pitbull