Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys new here so I got a 1 year old pitbull bitch I've had her since she was 6 weeks old and my problem is she is very emotional lol, I was laid off work and suffering depression when I got her so she's always been with me but now I can't leave her for to long she's an indoor dog and after maybe 10mins of being out side shell want in Cry's non stop doesn't even bark just Cry's when I take her to other houses I cant leave her out the back at all as soon as you close the door she's crys. I wouldn't mind if she barks but just the crying sounds bad for the neighbors and my heart just goes out for her after like half hour of non stop crying is ther anything I can do. I've been feeding her out the back to get her to like it and bought her a nice big kennal that she's ate lol here's a wee photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why do you feel the need to leave her outside.
its not that I feel the need to leave her outside I think you dont understand what I was saying say I NEED to go to the shop or anything and I leave her out the back garden/ in a dog create or even in the house she will cry none stop until I come back am actually shocked by your comment.

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts
Welcome to the forum ItsCooper. She is a good looking brindle with a sweet face.

Separation anxiety is a tough one and some dogs never get over it. When you leave the house do not say anything to her, pet her, console her or give her any reaction. Don't sneak out the door, just get up and go. For training, just stay out for 5 minutes or so and when you come back in completely ignore her. If she runs up to you, turn your back and walk away. Once she has settled down and feels comfortable then pet her but don't gush over her. Repeat this as often as you can and gradually extend the period of time you're gone. What you are trying to teach her is that when you leave you come back and it's not a big deal. You could also leave the radio or TV on for background noise for her. One other thought, do not correct her crying, that gives her attention, which is what she is looking for. Best of luck.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Welcome to the forum ItsCooper. She is a good looking brindle with a sweet face.

Separation anxiety is a tough one and some dogs never get over it. When you leave the house do not say anything to her, pet her, console her or give her any reaction. Don't sneak out the door, just get up and go. For training, just stay out for 5 minutes or so and when you come back in completely ignore her. If she runs up to you, turn your back and walk away. Once she has settled down and feels comfortable then pet her but don't gush over her. Repeat this as often as you can and gradually extend the period of time you're gone. What you are trying to teach her is that when you leave you come back and it's not a big deal. You could also leave the radio or TV on for background noise for her. One other thought, do not correct her crying, that gives her attention, which is what she is looking for. Best of luck.

Joe
Joe you're so MEAN! But so correct...it is SO hard not to try to comfort your crying baby but he's right. Don't gush leaving or coming as attention is only reinforcing bad behavior. It's the same concept with any type of fear. Act as if everything is fine and normal, don't comfort, show attention, etc...It's hard, don't get me wrong, but worth it. I used to have a dog bed that was an empty cover with a net inside. You removed the net, filled it with old clothes/towels/blankets, and put it back inside the cover. That gives the dog comfort by smelling you while you're gone. I don't remember where I got it but it's worth looking into. TV/radio/background noise is also helpful.

Joe's also right about Cooper being a gorgeous brindle. I love the brindles. And the reds, whites, blues, blacks - oh heck who am I kidding I love them all but Coop sure is cute!!

~Jess

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Joe
Joe you're so MEAN! But so correct...it is SO hard not to try to comfort your crying baby but he's right. Don't gush leaving or coming as attention is only reinforcing bad behavior. It's the same concept with any type of fear. Act as if everything is fine and normal, don't comfort, show attention, etc...It's hard, don't get me wrong, but worth it. I used to have a dog bed that was an empty cover with a net inside. You removed the net, filled it with old clothes/towels/blankets, and put it back inside the cover. That gives the dog comfort by smelling you while you're gone. I don't remember where I got it but it's worth looking into. TV/radio/background noise is also helpful.

Joe's also right about Cooper being a gorgeous brindle. I love the brindles. And the reds, whites, blues, blacks - oh heck who am I kidding I love them all but Coop sure is cute!!

~Jess
thanks her name is Bella btw my name is cooper lol she is from a very good bloodline here in Ireland her dad is a fat red nose ill look for a photo of him :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Joe
Thank you for the response means alot when she was a pup i creat etrained her worked well for the first month or so but ever since then we didint bother with it she out grew it and i wasnt able to get a bigger one till about a month later but she would cry the whole time we left her, see now she's just over a year old if she wants to be out the back garden its all good not a sound out of her shell even play with our two cats and our wee yorkie he's a wee dick so he's in a big dog run but he barks like mad never at her but at everything else eh clouds lol but see if she doesn't want to be out the back shell just cry none stop not even a bark it just sounds bad for the neighbours her crying if shed bark i wouldn't mind but its just the crying i will definitely try what you said she's a wee beauty from a nice bloodline.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts