Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Blue nose Pit "Girlfriend" has now decided that carpet and kitchen linoleum is a tasty treat!. I understand about separation anxiety, but this is ridiculous. I am in the other room and she goes to town!!....Not only is the kitchen floor shot to hell ...but as soon as i come out of the other room -she KNOWS she did wrong!. "Girlfriend"goes EVERYWHERE with me.. I rarely leave her.. Is that my problem?. She also is spastic when someone comes over...I have company all the time and shes ALWAYS CRAZY, jumping ,licking etc..I try to train her but she is so thick! Its impossible!! Any suggestions ???
Thanks Sundance

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Well always being around you 24/7 generally can create separation anxiety when apart at any given time, though i have trained dogs in the past where this never created an issue. Each individual dog will vary though typically this is a factor.

The reaction is also different, what you described i typically find more common out of bored dogs vs separation or a little a both.. Not to say that this can't happen but usually separation anxiety is consistent with whining, barking, shaking, pacing and other "nervous" type behavior... Again this is my experience, not always the case.

I would recommend anytime you leave her alone using a crate in a positive manor, keeps your thing safe as well as her. A crate she be a positive experience vs negative and also it should be "her" place.

As for the jumping on people, i would keep a lead on her as a correction tool during training her to stop doing this. Of course, praising her for not jumping vs giving attention during.. You dont want to send mixed signals. Also, generally speaking if you allow her to jump on you during greeting it will be much harder for her to distinguish who is okay and who isn't. Its best if you decide one or the other, its not impossible but you would be creating more work for yourself training her out of the habit.

Licking is a dogs way of affection so this is up to you, it can be difficult to want her to stop doing this as much as you want your dog to be affectionate yet at the same time you dont want it to bother your guest. Teaching other commands such as sit, stay, leave it, ignore, etc can help by diverting her attention back to you as the handler vs fixated on licking your guests.

Also i may point out that there is no such thing as a "blue nose pit", there is only one type of "pit" in terms of breed and thats the American Pit Bull Terrier. Blue in this particular breed is extremely rare as throughout history it was culled due to various reasons. Many old timers did not consider "blue" to be a color of a Bulldog. Blue is common in the American Bully and fairly common in the American Staffordshire Terrier, often BYB's will mislabel, mis-register these dogs as "rare pit bulls" to draw in business from the inexperienced.

Do not get me wrong as i am not trying to talk down on your pup by any means however the likely hood of you having a "blue" APBT is very unlikely as you properly have one of the mentioned breeds or a mix of some sorts if you do not know her history.

Reactions: redog

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your dog needs more exercise and to be crated when you leave the house, when you have people over that are not fond of dogs and when he sleeps at night. Dogs are cave dwellers and do very well in crates when introduced in the correct manner. Also when you crate him put a kong with some treats in it in his cage as well. I use peanut butter in the Kong a lot.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Dogs don't have a sense of moral code or right versus wrong like we do. They don't "know" that something is wrong -- they only know what is "safe" versus not safe. They're opportunistic; if they think they can get away with it, they'll try. That's why when a dog discovers they can counter-surf, it's hard to train them NOT to instead of just managing the situation by putting things away.

You need to manage her better so she doesn't have access to chewing the kitchen floors up. It's as simple as that. Put a baby gate up blocking her access to the kitchen. Keep her tied up in the house on a leash with you. She can only go in rooms that you're in so you can watch her. If you can't watch her, she goes in her crate to prevent her from getting into things.

Practice NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free). In order for her to get something she wants (whether it's food, attention, whatever), she has to do something for you. So, if she wants to go outside, you ask her to sit and you don't let her outside until she does that. Do the same for putting her food bowl down. Or if she wants attention from you. Tell her to do a command and then give her what she wants after she's done it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you so much for your input. I use to put her in the crate but she whined and parked . Unfortunately I work at nite and didn't want to bother my neighbors. I do believe she is bored...but i don't know what to do about that. I play catch with her everyday sometimes twice....I don't take very long walks with her but when my boyfriend comes over( every week for 3 days )he give her 100% attention. Walks, playtime etc. I do think he is the "alpha male" I hope i used that term correctly. She is all his when he is here. Funny how things turn out like that!!! About the boredom what can i do? Thanks so much again!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dogs don't have a sense of moral code or right versus wrong like we do. They don't "know" that something is wrong -- they only know what is "safe" versus not safe. They're opportunistic; if they think they can get away with it, they'll try. That's why when a dog discovers they can counter-surf, it's hard to train them NOT to instead of just managing the situation by putting things away.

You need to manage her better so she doesn't have access to chewing the kitchen floors up. It's as simple as that. Put a baby gate up blocking her access to the kitchen. Keep her tied up in the house on a leash with you. She can only go in rooms that you're in so you can watch her. If you can't watch her, she goes in her crate to prevent her from getting into things.

Practice NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free). In order for her to get something she wants (whether it's food, attention, whatever), she has to do something for you. So, if she wants to go outside, you ask her to sit and you don't let her outside until she does that. Do the same for putting her food bowl down. Or if she wants attention from you. Tell her to do a command and then give her what she wants after she's done it.
I will take your advise and try to enforce it it Thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts