Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! We picked up our puppy 2 weeks ago and things have gone so smoothly with training so far. She is very smart, a little bit silly and very loving.
She was very obviously used to peeing on puppy pads when we received her but after coming home she consistently goes outside with praise and treats with the odd accident when I haven't reached her in time.
2 days ago we got an unexpected cold snap, the wind chill is at -41. Its painful to stand outside and the first day she would go quickly and run back. Now she absolutely refuses to go outside! Iv brought her out and she cries and whines at the door to go back in. This is the 3rd day and we expect at least 4 more. Constant accidents and I cant even bribe her out with treats. Lol I plan to go buy a puppy sweater today to help, but not sure what else.
I'm worried this week will put a serious kink in our progress :(
Iv never scolded her for accidents so she freely goes where I can see her, I just stop her and quickly move her outside. But it's a constant thing now obviously.

Any tips? Bring in pads by the door? Just keep moving her outside and persevere through the accidents? Help!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,313 Posts
That's a tough one ZD. You could try getting some boots for her feet as they can frostbite quickly. I would put her on a leash and bring her out into the yard where she normally pees and give it a go. With severe weather like that using the puppy pads by the back door wouldn't be the end of the world. Have to put her safety first. Once the weather breaks you could continue the regiment of training.
Thanks for the picture. Love those ears, it's almost a shame that she'll grow into them, LOL. What a sweet face.

Joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!!!

Iv taken her on quick trips circling the house on a leash, put a warm sweater on her but still no good. Ah well. Pads at the door which she pees on, just waiting to catch her and take her out for now and pray for warmer weather!!

Her ears make my heart melt. She is a head bobber so they are always flopping around!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
OMG, your little red nose is so precious!!!! I have a male of about the same age, he's ten or 11 weeks and he looks so much like your girl!

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X104F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh, and as for the cold, I live in Montana, my little Broly doesn't like it either. I went to Goodwill and found a child size coat and then used a sewing machine to alter it for him. It gets about -20 over here. Colder with the wind chill. You can also buy hotties at the pet store to out on those poor little paws. I don't let him leave the house without his coat and he seems to like it. I got one with a hood too, and it covers the back of his neck and head as well. Then may I suggest crate training so she won't potty on the floor. Dogs will not go potty in their own bed. If you can't literally be watching her every second, I'd put her in the crate. The goal is zero accidents. Broly was easy to potty train using the crate training method. He absolutely will not go potty in his crate. Though I never leave him in longer than two hours, as they can hold it about an hour for every month old they are. Whenever I take him out of the crate to play, or eat, I immediately take him outside to potty before doing anything. I learned the hard way I have to pick him up and carry him outside or he someti!es would have an accident on the way to the door. Then about half an hour into play time with our other dog, I take him out and I also take him outside before he goes back in his kennel. He loves his kennel and feels safe there and prefers to sleep there. I also feed him in there. Oh, and also don't forget to take your pup out about half hour after feeding! Their metabolisms are ridiculously fast and Broly poops about thirty mins after I feed him. I'm always vigilant about the time I leave him in the crate and never force him to have an accident I it by forgetting to take him potty. I bring him to work in his crate so I can let him out every few hours. He now will tell me when he has to potty if he's running out of the kennel playing by crying and sitting in front of the door. I DO still have to carry him outside to potty though when it's cold, cuz he will feel the cold, even with the coat, and try and run back in the house. Crating him has taken away most of his opportunities to go pee or poop on my floor and put me in control of the situation. I pick him up out of the crate and carry him outside, tell him to go potty (he's training to be a service dog and pees on command now) then I'll tell him he's a good boy, sometimes treat, then let him in the house. The reward for pottying outside-even in the cold- is that he can get out of the kennel for a bit, he might get a treat, and as soon as he hurries up and goes, he'll have the reward of a warm house and a play session with the adult dog or a training session. That alone motivated him to hurry up and go potty outside.

·
Super Moderator
4,586 Posts
Baby pool with sod. That's what we use around here during Hurricanes.

·
Super Moderator
4,586 Posts
Not my idea. Florida crackers can invent some brilliant things with enough beer and a hurricane.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Amazing idea with the baby pool!! I have actually set up the outside garage with some pads and dirt so kind of same idea, it is working for now and I just carry her across the yard to their so we are still leaving the back door to the yard to get there. The wind chill this morning was -45 !!! She has a hoodie and baby socks for now. Luckily by sunday we will be back to -10 which she is okay with.

Crate training is certainly a process with her. I put her in for certain amounts of time during the day, when I'm cleaning, getting my kids ready etc. I treat her in there, she has a warm blanket, favourite toys etc. She is okay for short amount of times and does really well. Yet, on a night when I put her in she howls and yelps. :( I have propped her up near my bed now with the door open but blocked so she can't leave. It's getting better, but she sure clings to me lol
I'm completely new to crate training as my older rescue must have had a traumatic experience with it and injured himself seriously trying to get out one day.

Things are coming together, I guess I'm just sad we were doing so perfectly house training and the weather and accidents set us back so far. Agh. She at first was peeing on command. Now I have to catch her at the right time etc.

The photo is her in the sweater she seems to be so fond of now!! :) she is such a great little pup.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I highly recommend any Hurtta coat and/or body warmer. My girl hates cold/rain/weather of most kinds. She loves her cover ups in the cold. The picture is of the body suit; I found a larger size returned (heavily discounted). I wanted as much belly/thigh/boob coverage as possible, anyway, so I made an elastic+velcro belt to keep it in place better. Hurtta are expensive but worth it, although you may want to wait until she's done growing, LOL. I hope I attached the IMG correctly.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMFd3F9-cOQ3TUQah71BCmfjNospB9mtk7EJf7G

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think crate training is more traumatic for us! Lol. As long as you ignore her while she cries and never ever ever let her out when she's whining, shell learn the crying doesn't help her any. I went through that for like a week with mine. If she continues to cry and absolutely won't stop, take her potty and then put her right back in the crate. Mine used to have meltdowns in his crate and it just broke my heart. But now he knows he is only to cry when he has to go potty. Cuz that's all that is gonna happen if he cries. He goes for a boring potty break then gets put right back in there. Now he even goes in there on his own at the end of the night. He loves his safe little crate. Man your little girl is sooooooo cute. And she sounds like she's a good girl.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I highly recommend any Hurtta coat and/or body warmer. My girl hates cold/rain/weather of most kinds. She loves her cover ups in the cold. The picture is of the body suit; I found a larger size returned (heavily discounted). I wanted as much belly/thigh/boob coverage as possible, anyway, so I made an elastic+velcro belt to keep it in place better. Hurtta are expensive but worth it, although you may want to wait until she's done growing, LOL. I hope I attached the IMG correctly.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMFd3F9-cOQ3TUQah71BCmfjNospB9mtk7EJf7G
Are those hurtta things made for dogs? Or are they made for people and we have to modify a child's size for them. Can I find them on Amazon? I think that'd be great for Broly. It gets super cold I my car too and Broly goes everywhere with me. I've been using a heated blanket for in the car for him to sleep on, but I'm always worried he's gonna chew on the wire ...and sometimes my battery dies when I leave him in my car with it on accesorry so he can still have heat...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you so much!! I will definitely be grabbing one of those coats for both my pups! I may wait until she has grown a little to purchase an expensive one though.. but they look perfect for winter.
She has kept on the pads completely when not been able to handle the cold outside but has gone a few times during a quick run down the path. Lol!! Today will be our coldest day (apparently -50) but will then start to warm up a bit. YAY!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, the cold has ceased and we are back on track!!! No more accidents and lots of walks! Yay!! I'm definitely going to order the both of them the hurtta coats for next winter! Thanks again everybody

·
Super Moderator
5,313 Posts
Great news ZedsDed, for you and the puppy. Thanks for sharing the picture of her sweet face with us! Yep, Spring is bustin' out, it's a balmy 23F here and just got back from taking my two for a walk. Had to stay on the street though as most sidewalks are a solid two inches of ice. :roll:

Joe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts