Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 12 week old male pit and everytime he meets new dogs he will sniff them then growls and snaps at them. I know this breed is very prone to dog aggression but I would like him to be able to be fine going to public places where there are dogs, like the pet store, etc. maybe if he could just ignore them. What can I do to try to correct him?

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Work with him on "leave it" I've had great success with this. Ive been going to dog sport expos and doing dock diving with my dog so I need him to be under controll as well. He is pretty DA so it's important for him to be ok around other in situations like this where other dogs are jumping, barking and being excited.
When I was first teaching him this I would walk around the block where I know there are quite a few dogs that run to the fence and bark. When we get close and I notice he's looking that way id say, "leave it!" and then follow that with a "sit" if they sit right away give him a treat. If not don't keep walking, stay right there until the dog sits so he understands that is not going to be acceptable behavior. If it takes a minute I would reward him when he finally sits and then turn around and go the other way. If he listened and sat right away I would continue walking a little closer to the house and keep doing the sits. The idea is to redirect that focus off the other dog and on to you. Just take it slowly working on keeping on that focus and you guys should get it :)

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
I'd honestly say it is best to get into an obedinece class with a bully savvy trainer. Working on distraction training if you haven't done it before and dealt with such issues as DA is something most newbie owners need extra assistance with in my opinion. It also helps build a dogs confidence. Not being there I can't tell if your dog is being dog aggressive or showing fear aggression. It could be either, but in any event the training will be helpful.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
I'd honestly say it is best to get into an obedinece class with a bully savvy trainer. Working on distraction training if you haven't done it before and dealt with such issues as DA is something most newbie owners need extra assistance with in my opinion. It also helps build a dogs confidence. Not being there I can't tell if your dog is being dog aggressive or showing fear aggression. It could be either, but in any event the training will be helpful.
:goodpost:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts