Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 13 week old pitbull pup (boy) that I have let sleep in my bed with my now twice.. My main question is, should I be concerned that he will see it as "we're on the same level etc?" The times I've let him (to my surprise) he hasn't crapped or pissed on my bed at all.. I usually keep him in the crate once it's time to go to bed and he might urinate throughout the night but doesn't crap in his crate..

I've decided today while I'm awake to let him free in my room to see how/what he does and he's been pretty good at not being to nosey but I had a toy and one of my old shirts (usually use them for bedding) to let him muck about with.

I guess my main question is for now should/would it be alright to let him sleep in my room (door closed) at night time or should I still continue to confine him to his crate ? He has no fear of his crate and will enter it without punishment but I'm trying to ease him into getting used to not being confined to a crate once it's time to sleep. This is my first puppy and sorry if this post is redundant but I'm just eager to learn proper ways of crate training/introducing my puppy to the house.

Thank you in advance..

Mixwell

·
Registered
507 Posts
I think it is a matter of personal prefernce in combination with the dog's behavior.

I love sleeping with my dogs, to me that is one of the benefits/joys of having them.

Our current dog is the first dog we had that we didn't even bother with the crate at night, we put her straight in the bed since we got her at 10 weeks and figured she could "hold it" through the night which she did; and she has been there every night ever since.

If you have an otherwise well trained dog you can forget all the old dominance based theory stuff about dog's plotting to take over the world if you allow them certain privledges like access to furniture or if they happen to slip through a doorway before you.

It is a good idea I think to train placement commands to have a well mannered dog and to curb any uppity/testing behavior you may see in adolescence (which is just part of the dog growing up, spreading it's wings and being a bratty teenager).

So...teach the dog the command "move" and have him learn to move from one place to another on the bed when you ask; and also teach a command for get on the bed and get off the bed. You can use positive reinforcement (treats or toys) and make teaching it fun, sort of a game; and even once the dog learns the commands, make sure to ask for them periodically to make sure it is fresh in the dog's mind.

I encourage my dog to come up to the top of the bed and put her under the covers and we snuggle nose to nose and that is how I fall asleep most nights. Then my husband comes to bed later and he asks the dog to move so he can get comfy and she curls up between us.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, I do not own any other dogs except my puppy and like I said twice I've let him sleep with me which wasn't a problem, I was thinking about letting him go throughout the room but I'm really concerned about him chewing up electric wires and shocking himself.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I do not own any other dogs except my puppy and like I said twice I've let him sleep with me which wasn't a problem, I was thinking about letting him go throughout the room but I'm really concerned about him chewing up electric wires and shocking himself.
Well that's a separate issue. He's a puppy. It's good to let him get to know the lay out of the house and to explore; but he's a puppy :)

If given the opportunity, he probably will chew up the electical cords and kill himself; or eat something he shouldn't and get a honking big intestinal obstruction and kill himself.

Puppies are like toddlers: constant supervision is needed.

Puppy proof the house or the room(s) where you have him; meaning remove as much potentially dangerous stuff as possible; then don't let him out of your sight for a second.

If you aren't directly supervising and interacting with the pup, then crate him or babygate him into a puppy-proofed safe zone for his own protection.

·
Premium Member
9,176 Posts
As long as they are house broken I let mine sleep with me , they take turns as to who gets the bed at night since I own multiples.
I would not just let him go throughout the rooms until you are fully comfortable he will not chew anything. Last thing you need is a vet bill or worse from him eating something toxic, getting electrocuted or getting a blockage from eating something he can't pass. I would look into crate training for sure.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Off direct topic: It has been confirmed that animals sleeping in the bedroom deprives the human sleeper of oxygen, and the animals.
Larger size means larger amount of air. More dogs, more air.
But room size plays another factor. Small/tight rooms are worse. Closed doors = even less fresh air.

To the OP: there is nothing wrong with crating a dog at night.
Do not get the "feel sorry for my dog syndrome," by comparing them to humans, and what we would prefer.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Off direct topic: It has been confirmed that animals sleeping in the bedroom deprives the human sleeper of oxygen, and the animals.
But room size plays another factor. Small/tight rooms are worse. Closed doors = even less fresh air.

Do not get the "feel sorry for my dog syndrome," by comparing them to humans, and what we would prefer.
You are correct; there is absolutely nothing wrong with crating a dog at night; and if sleeping with your dog(s) results in restless nights, then it seems the practical thing to do.

Or some adult dogs are fine to just sleep in their own designated bed/sleeping area.

I just want to comment that according to the study I should probably kick my husband out of the bedroom too as he's pretty big so I'm certain he's sucking up allot of my oxygen!! :p
I actually sleep less well without my dog. Both me and the husband hate to go away and leave her overnight and we both complain that we don't sleep as well.
Different strokes...:D

·
Registered
20 Posts

It might be a fact but I have always had my dogs sleep with me in bed and I have never felt I had "less" air. Can't sleep without them, but I am one of those people who treats their dog as children, not everyone agrees with that.
I think crating a dog for bed time and all day while at work is a lot for the dog, specially a puppy. It is a personal preferance though. Everyone has their opinions. I for one have that I "feel sorry for my dog syndrome" :D

·
Premium Member
11,110 Posts
I also heard that sleeping with cats can cause some disease, I think its crap. lol jazzy I bet my man takes up more air than me and my boy as well, lol. Slept with my kitty for years and now my boy. I did crate train him, and I would also not allow him to get on the bed before me. I only call him up once I get settled. That maybe cause I hate how he steals my pillow or covers or because I half buy into the dominance thing. But as long as your pup listens and respects what you are asking, there are many ways to show your dog that YOU are the one they look to first. The bed, I like my cuddle time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have always let my dogs sleep with me ha ha... The one I regretted the most was a pup who grew to be bigger and heavier than me and was a bed hog!!!
I have never struggled with not having enough oxygen, so I can't add to that one unfortunately....
But I truly believe my animals do intend to rule the world :)
I'd say the biggest issue with any furniture is that eventually they grow and still want on it, once u open the door it's a tough habit to break...
And puppies r worse than toddlers IMO lol

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I am far from feeling sorry for my puppy and I have been crate training him since day one. He actually (at times) will just go in his crate without me saying anything so I'm glad he doesn't see it as being locked up. I think I will continue the crate at night until he is used to the house and won't get into something that could cause big problems.

Maybe once he's older and more house broken and past his puppy biting phase I will let him stay in my room out of the crate and occasionally on the bed.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I "feel sorry for my dog syndrome" :D
I don't.

I am totally "it's all about me", selfish.

My poor dog likes her space, she curls up at the bottom of the bed. I make her move up to the top of the bed and force her to cuddle with me! :eek:

Every night it's:
Dog: Oh no thank you, I'm fine, I'm just going to stretch out here...oh...ummm....OK...since you're forcably sticking your hand under my butt and shoving me towards you...I guess I could come visit for a minute.
Me: Who pays the bills babe? Nothing in life is free, move your ass, earn your keep.

On the weekend, if my hubby comes to bed really late, the dog waits until I fall asleep (or she thinks I've fallen asleep) and then gets up, gets out from under the covers and sneaks back down to the end of the bed to stretch out in peace. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't.

I am totally "it's all about me", selfish.

My poor dog likes her space, she curls up at the bottom of the bed. I make her move up to the top of the bed and force her to cuddle with me! :eek:

Every night it's:
Dog: Oh no thank you, I'm fine, I'm just going to stretch out here...oh...ummm....OK...since you're forcably sticking your hand under my butt and shoving me towards you...I guess I could come visit for a minute.
Me: Who pays the bills babe? Nothing in life is free, move your ass, earn your keep.

On the weekend, if my hubby comes to bed really late, the dog waits until I fall asleep (or she thinks I've fallen asleep) and then gets up, gets out from under the covers and sneaks back down to the end of the bed to stretch out in peace. :D
Haha.. my dog doesn't know what sharing is, he sleeps on my pillow right next to me just like a human. He does tend to try to kick me off the bed sometimes.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I have a 13 week old pitbull pup (boy) that I have let sleep in my bed with my now twice.. My main question is, should I be concerned that he will see it as "we're on the same level etc?" The times I've let him (to my surprise) he hasn't crapped or pissed on my bed at all.. I usually keep him in the crate once it's time to go to bed and he might urinate throughout the night but doesn't crap in his crate..

I've decided today while I'm awake to let him free in my room to see how/what he does and he's been pretty good at not being to nosey but I had a toy and one of my old shirts (usually use them for bedding) to let him muck about with.

I guess my main question is for now should/would it be alright to let him sleep in my room (door closed) at night time or should I still continue to confine him to his crate ? He has no fear of his crate and will enter it without punishment but I'm trying to ease him into getting used to not being confined to a crate once it's time to sleep. This is my first puppy and sorry if this post is redundant but I'm just eager to learn proper ways of crate training/introducing my puppy to the house.

Thank you in advance..

Mixwell
If you raise your pup to understand you're the leader in the house then there is no reason why he can't sleep with you. The only time I do not recommend a dog sleeping with the owner is when there are dominance issues.

Don't be surprised when your pup starts to pee or poop in the rom or they no longer sleep through the night. I've let several pups sleep with me but by the time they are closer to 4 months they start to wonder and be more active at night. IF that happens just go back to the crate. I also would be a good idea to have the pup sleep a few nights a week in the crate to keep up with crating at night.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My pup sleeps with me every night. Falls asleep at my feet and the colder she gets she makes her wiggling way under my back. She also has no problem not being on bed if she can curl up in her blanket and toys in a small dark space and catch her dad's. But from experience with dogs in my bed and their own is they don't normally poop where they lay. If they do its abnormal I.e. couldn't get down or somewhere else to go , sick. But if it happens a good discipline usually corrects it and they will figure out something to go somewhere other then there. Just my opinion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.