Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fun times are here with my girl. She is 8 1/2 months old and her vulva has been swollen the past few days. I read that usually happens before they come into full heat. So, on that note and this being my first female dog ever as I have always had males, what can I expect? I know the obvious....keeping her on lock down and possible visits from unwelcomed males (I will keep her safe and be extra vigilant ;) ) My questions......can I keep walking her for now until I see actual discharge/blood? We have strict leash laws where I live and you never see loose dogs but one can always escape. I met a guy once who took his female pit for a walk to the park in heat and another guy walking a male weimeraner had let his intact male off leash and before they knew it they were connected. I don't want that to happen so when will it be safe once again to walk her? Do you have to wait until the cycle is completely through or is it safe towards the end of it? Also, do they bleed heavy first heat or is it more spotty than anything? I have been reading all kinds of things on-line and doing research but I would rather get advice from my fellow GP peeps who have experience with this kind of stuff :D She has also been acting "extra" clingy to me and when she is with my mom up in her house on the second floor she is doing the same thing to her LOL! Thanks guys and the input will be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sounds like shes starting to come into heat.I wouldt really walk her around.If possible walk her like in your back yard or something.Dont need males showing up at your door.Also I would go to petco and get her some 'girly doggie panties' so she wont be bleeding all over your house.Other then that have fun :hammer: hate it when Rage comes into heat

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like shes starting to come into heat.I wouldt really walk her around.If possible walk her like in your back yard or something.Dont need males showing up at your door.Also I would go to petco and get her some 'girly doggie panties' so she wont be bleeding all over your house.Other then that have fun :hammer: hate it when Rage comes into heat
Yes, I got her some "hot" pants already :) I remember my friend had a female dog and it seemed like every heat she had... the flow got a little heavier. Is it just spotting? Or is it a constant leaking? Sorry for the TMI details.....just want to be prepared for as much as I can.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It depends.Like with Rage. She'll keep herself clean.So I notice it more like when she would get up from laying down or after peeing.An sometimes if she got to excited and was jumping around.

·
Super Moderator
4,561 Posts
We just got Chili fixed this year. (our chihuahua) We left her hot pants on unless she was outside pottying, or in her crate where she could clean herself, or bleed on her towels whenever. If you don't giver her some time with them off, she could get friction burns from the panties. We went on a cruise and our house sitter never took them off except to potty and change the pads. Chili has scarring on the crook of her back legs now. We're trying new stock to grow it back.
Anyways, just keep an eye on the skin and fur around the panties, make sure she gets regular pad changes, and give her free time. Most dogs from my experience try to keep themselves pretty clean anyways.
Good luck. :)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I think it depends on the dog , lunas heat has been about the same since her 1st and its her 3rd right now. its constant but not heavy , so keeping the hot pants on inside is gonna be best or what we use pampers LMAO.

Reactions: Blue_Nose_Bella

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
get some cheapo pad from the dollar store and some little boy underwear... if not.. have fun cleaning

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all :) I got all the pantie stuff down and ready ;) Angel, those pictures are a riot!!! LMAO!

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
All the above info is great! I wanted to do a thread like this 'cause I had a few Q's about Indie's heat.. or lack thereof. She's over 10 months now, and I've been noticing her vulva swelling for a few weeks. Like, not a bunch, but bigger than it was. Her nipples are also bigger. But, no heat! Supposedly her mom swells up ginormously, but who knows how she's going to be. Just didn't know if I should be worried @ her age about her not coming in yet. I hope she can do the performance events at Premier in June, and a couple weight pulls the weeks after.. so she can get at least her UWP title before UKC possibly ends WP. But if she's in heat, she's out of luck! :( Her littermate sis hasn't gone in yet, and her owner, the breeder, doesn't seem worried.. but I kinda am... Sorry for the hijack.. but I didn't want to start an all-new thread.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
nah its normal some come into heat as early as 6-7 months { my girls have been 7 months and the other 8 months for there 1st heat} but I have heard of dogs comming into 1st heats at 12months . if she has swollen up a bit it will be soon I usually notice my girls swell about a week before they actually come into heat , so If you have males start watching them very closely or seperating now.

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
Thanks! Only intact male we have is a min pin, but she's never out of my sight unless she's in her crate. And I leash walk her. :) I'm just a worry wart about the timing. :)

I wanna post a pic of her vulva up.. lol. It's not very swollen, but she's also been licking it more. I think it's been 2-3 weeks.. just thought she'd be in full heat by now.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All the above info is great! I wanted to do a thread like this 'cause I had a few Q's about Indie's heat.. or lack thereof. She's over 10 months now, and I've been noticing her vulva swelling for a few weeks. Like, not a bunch, but bigger than it was. Her nipples are also bigger. But, no heat! Supposedly her mom swells up ginormously, but who knows how she's going to be. Just didn't know if I should be worried @ her age about her not coming in yet. I hope she can do the performance events at Premier in June, and a couple weight pulls the weeks after.. so she can get at least her UWP title before UKC possibly ends WP. But if she's in heat, she's out of luck! :( Her littermate sis hasn't gone in yet, and her owner, the breeder, doesn't seem worried.. but I kinda am... Sorry for the hijack.. but I didn't want to start an all-new thread.
Glad someone else is going through it and I'm not alone ;) I'm new to the female parts LOL! (on dogs)

Indie, I have heard dogs having it as late as 14 months.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
We tried the "hot pants" but my girls think they are just another thing to chew on. all our girls are going through their cycles now (except for 2) so the boys are crazy but vigilance is the key if you don't want pups. Needles to say our house gets a super duper scrubbing at least 4 times a year...that is if eveybody isn't on the same cycle...

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reactions: Lex's Guardian

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We tried the "hot pants" but my girls think they are just another thing to chew on. all our girls are going through their cycles now (except for 2) so the boys are crazy but vigilance is the key if you don't want pups. Needles to say our house gets a super duper scrubbing at least 4 times a year...that is if eveybody isn't on the same cycle...
I have heard that some dogs rip them off. And no, I don't want ANY puppies. If I decide to not show her she will be spayed by her second heat. I would only breed a titled dog so if she doesn't show then the ovaries go :D Hey that rhymes LOL!

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
thx for the link. Just wish it'd go over more the pre-estrus signs. :)

Oh.. and a helpful tip.. a bit of vicks vapor rub under her tail will help disguise the scent of her being in heat, if you need to walk her in public or something. There is also a special spray that you spray whenever she pees (annoying!), and it also helps keep suitors from lining up at your door. :)

oo!! really good linky!
http://justweimaraners.com/2010/11/living-with-bitches/

Reactions: Blue_Nose_Bella

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thx for the link. Just wish it'd go over more the pre-estrus signs. :)

Oh.. and a helpful tip.. a bit of vicks vapor rub under her tail will help disguise the scent of her being in heat, if you need to walk her in public or something. There is also a special spray that you spray whenever she pees (annoying!), and it also helps keep suitors from lining up at your door. :)

oo!! really good linky!
Living with Bitches
Funny you said that about the vicks...when I was researching online I came across that little trick. Wonder if it really works? Well, the good news for me and Bella is that all the males my neighbors around me own are all neutered. I live in the city so you never see loose roaming dogs. But I am aware that a male can smell a female in heat for up to 2-3 miles and one can escape and show up here. I will be vigilant, that's for sure. I don't want anything happening to my baby :) Thank you for the other link ;)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
i was told for males in the house if you put a dab of vicks in there nostril it keeps them from smelling the females and thus keeping them from whinning and crying all the time , however I didnt find it worked very well as people claim cause the minute it wears off and they get that scent its over lol , even the vicks applied after they still seem to know they are in heat and will cry { at least big red dog does lol} { maybe it works if you are round the clock applying it lol. for walks though might be an idea or just walk at odd hours when dog traffic is lower and in areas you are less likely to run into strays { or just change the walk time to a play in the yard { mine have free raom of the yard during the day its completely fenced and when the girls are in heat we try and get out with the flirt pole and balls and play fetch or something with them instead of walks. { very rarely do my dogs use the bathroom outside of the yard walks for us are more for exercise and training time one on one then they are for bathroom purposes }

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm going to return the $25 hot pants I got and get little boys undies instead! What a great and cheaper idea! I've heard some just use little panty liners for woman in them? And what size underwear do you buy? 4 toddler? My girl is just under 50 lbs. :roll:

·
Registered
127 Posts
i was told for males in the house if you put a dab of vicks in there nostril it keeps them from smelling the females and thus keeping them from whinning and crying all the time , however I didnt find it worked very well as people claim cause the minute it wears off and they get that scent its over lol , even the vicks applied after they still seem to know they are in heat and will cry { at least big red dog does lol} { maybe it works if you are round the clock applying it lol. for walks though might be an idea or just walk at odd hours when dog traffic is lower and in areas you are less likely to run into strays { or just change the walk time to a play in the yard { mine have free raom of the yard during the day its completely fenced and when the girls are in heat we try and get out with the flirt pole and balls and play fetch or something with them instead of walks. { very rarely do my dogs use the bathroom outside of the yard walks for us are more for exercise and training time one on one then they are for bathroom purposes }
I used a bodyspray that is coconut/vanilla scent and I would put that on my male's nose. lol... but yea once it wears off you better reapply so the whinning stops.. I was excited that my female had not had her heat- she was 11months when she got hers, blah... Then I remembered why I prefer males..

1 - 20 of 40 Posts