Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a first time pit owner and I have had dogs all my life...and have had pit bulls around me all my life...and I have never met a mean one before in my life. I work at a pet store snd I do a lot of adoptions and I tried going through all the agencies to adopt a pit bull and no one would get back to me...so a breeder came into my work and I know he was a good guy he fed good food...because I recommended it yrs ago...he had pit pups so after being so frustrated about rescues not getting back to me I bought one of his..I met both parents and they were both very sweet. Lily is now 4 mths old and now figured out that the owner who sold her to me fed me bs. I'm pretty sure she is inbred...and people are making me nervous. She is so sweet though and shows no aggression what so ever. She's enrolled in obedience classes and goes to puppy "day care" to get socialized and they say she's a great little girl...should I be worried? Because she may be inbred. Oh and on top of that she has awful skin issues? Help

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Inbreeding is a very common practice in all dog breeds. Without it there would be no established "bloodlines"

·
Banned
314 Posts
Here's a free tip: The only true breed of dog with the word "pit" in the name is the American Pit Bull Terrier.

There's no such thing as "pits", "pitbulls", "pet-bulls", whatever.
Neophytes and enemies of the breed give them these generic names.
The acceptable traditional name for them, has always been BULLDOGS.
So refer to the breed as the APBT, to step aside from those who know nothing of the breed.
And if a breeder doesn't know this, that person is a peddler, nothing more nothing less.

Skin problems??? Get a new pup without them, and/or a full refund.

There's nothing wrong with a dog because it is inbred.

Reactions: aus_staffy

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Inbreeding is a very common practice in all dog breeds. Without it there would be no established "bloodlines"
inbreeding?? ..do u mean line breeding??

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Inbreeding is very common in pretty much any dog breed. APBT or not. that is why they have so many skin and health issues.("pure bred" )

I would not bring her to doggy daycare after she is about a year old. Worry more on social skills with people then with other dogs.
Pit bulls do not need dog friends. Make sure she is socialized with all different types of people,kids included. As for skin issues,what are you feeding her?

When you buy from a BYB you run into liars and people that only care about the money they are making,and not the health of the dogs.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
this reminds me of a co worker of mine that bred the mom w one of her pups...

only had 1 pup in the litter.

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Inbreeding is very common in pretty much any dog breed. APBT or not. that is why they have so many skin and health issues.("pure bred" )

I would not bring her to doggy daycare after she is about a year old. Worry more on social skills with people then with other dogs.
Pit bulls do not need dog friends. Make sure she is socialized with all different types of people,kids included. As for skin issues,what are you feeding her?

When you buy from a BYB you run into liars and people that only care about the money they are making,and not the health of the dogs.

:goodpost::goodpost:

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Just because she is BYB doesn't mean you'll run into issues either.

I mean, of course, genetic issues are far more likely to be found in BYB dogs because their "breeders" don't care about what they're doing beyond getting their money back.

But there are lots of dogs out there who are good dogs that just so happen to be BYB--and, unfortunately, with pit bulls in particular, I'd be willing to bet that the majority of dogs ARE BYB.

Cherish and appreciate your dog for who she is, not for who she could have been.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Just because she is BYB doesn't mean you'll run into issues either.

I mean, of course, genetic issues are far more likely to be found in BYB dogs because their "breeders" don't care about what they're doing beyond getting their money back.

But there are lots of dogs out there who are good dogs that just so happen to be BYB--and, unfortunately, with pit bulls in particular, I'd be willing to bet that the majority of dogs ARE BYB.

Cherish and appreciate your dog for who she is, not for who she could have been.
:goodpost:

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
purebred dogs have bad skin problems from crappy breeding! There are many great lines out there with no problems, no genetic issues that are big. I know many breeders it drives me nuts when they breed. They will breed a dog with health issues like they might be a carrier of a gene that is not desirable. They will breed them with another dog who is not a carrier. That dog should not be bred in the first place to avoid passing it on. I know some good breeders with breeds who have lot of issues but they have been able to breed away from it by not breeding affected dogs. Just like lots of blue dogs with skin issues, because people are breeding them so much without any care to health issues. There are many without any problems that are bred by good breeders.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
amen!!!!!!!!

letem knowwwww!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Currently she's on royal canin she may need to be switched...all she does is itch I know if can be enviromental I just feel bad

1 - 19 of 19 Posts