Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When they were 5 months old, I adopted two pitbull littermates, Piggy and Smudge (brother and sister). :D They are now 9 months old and I've adopted their mom, a 4 year old pitbull. My stepfathers two pitbulls had a litter, and were both spayed/neutered afterwards. The two puppies that I adopted were the last two that he was having a hard time placing -- and my dog had recently passed away, so I was looking to adopt and he was overwhelmed, so it seemed to be a good fit. However, he recently had a heart attack that he's had a hard time recovering from (he's living in a rehab facility) -- and since he's a single daddy to his dogs, they've had to be rehomed. His male went to my mom and his female went to me... since they are 4 and 5 and have known and loved us their whole lives, we figured that we were the best fit for them. But being a new mommy to three dogs in 4 months is hard work!:pupruns: I love them all very much, and have been doing my research to try and be the best mommy that I can be... and was hoping that you all could help.
My concern is the dog aggression that pitbulls tend to display. My oldest mommy dog, Dharma, is definitely the leader. She's very sweet and hardly anything bothers her. She's always been friendly towards other dogs and is well trained. She has food and toy aggression -- but that is easy enough for me to control. Smudge, my boy puppy, and Piggy, my girl puppy are VERY bonded. After reading some of these threads, I think I may have allowed them to bond too much... they do everything together -- sleep together, take rides together, eat together, play together... they've even been trained together. My mom does take each of them once a week though (to give a tired me a bit of a break!) so they are at least used to being seperated then. They've always been very nice to each other, ecept for one spat that they had over a bone -- they started fighting and would not listen to me verbally so I had to pull them apart, however neither of them really hurt each other... but it was so scary for me! I seperated them for 10 minutes and then allowed them to get back together and everything seemed fine. Since then all dogs get food and treats and toys seperately, never together, which seems to be the best way to handle things. I've taught the puppies basic commands, but I've also recently enrolled them in training class. Also, starting this week, they'll both go to doggy daycare once a week, which I'm hoping will help them with socialization and getting some ecersise while I'm at work. I can't tell between the two of them which is more "dominant" and from reading this, maybe I won't be able to for awhile, since they're so young?
Anyway... to make a long story short... I really just want to try to prevent any dog aggression the best that I can and be the best mommy I can to these pitbulls. I'm a bit concerned because I have two females, and I also have two littermates, and I'm not sure if that will create more of an issue... especially as the puppies get older. I'm a single 24 year old mommy and just want to care for them as best as possible!:love2: I've always had pitbulls, since I was a baby, but never more then one at a time, so this is new for me. Any advice would be so helpful! Thanks!:woof::)

Attachments

·
Registered
776 Posts
yup .. dont leave em together without supervision .. even opposing sex and littermates may have troubles and the last thing you want to come home to is a bloodbath.

·
Common Sense Expert
699 Posts
Well I think maybe you should start practicing crating and rotating. Maybe not the full effect, but just have an understanding of it because you can never really know when and if they might turn dog aggressive. So if you don't have separate areas for them to sleep or dog crates you might want to invest in some. Go through the site and read through crating and rotating. It sounds like you're doing a great job thus far. Continue to be diligent with the care for these dogs and you'll be fine. Dog aggression is no big deal and if it happens with the right research you'll be ready for it.
oh and definitely what motorcross said don't leave them alone together unsupervised

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Welcome! I think you have all the great ideas and thoughts and are on the right track. The only think that worries me is the day care, while I understand and appreciate you have good intentions you could be setting them up to fail in a surroundings that you have control over. You have put their lives in someone else's hands. That's not something I allow to be taken lightly. They seem to mind you and you were thrown for a loop as thy aged. Don't let someone else who isn't familiar with their body language be in charge of them.

I think if you work more in getting them less anxious about being with each other they will be fine and in a good place with lots of surroundings. I would think you should devote training and working them individually just so they start to look to you as the leader and not their mom as much. All the pups should follow your lead IMO

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for being so welcoming and giving me great advice! I've been spending the day poking around here, and am so thankful to have access to the education that will help me. Just wondering... do any of you have pits that do well together? Reading through this has me nervous that it's almost certain that they'll have problems. Of course I'll do everything necessary to prepare and prevent the best that I can, but I'm just curious if anyone has been successful at having a 3 or more pitbull home where everyone gets along and does well together? Mine do very well now, but since the puppies are only 9 months, I know that there's a good possibility that could change. The puppies both have their own crates, and are used to being crated while I'm at work... their mommy is very well behaved and she is fine alone in the house. Should I start to get her used to being crated as well just as a precautionary measure? Of course ideally I'd like for them to all continue to be sweet to each other, but just curious if that's realistic. Is it necessary to crate and rotate them before there's an issue? Or maybe just do it sometimes so they're familiar but still allow them to be around each other other times? Sorry for so many questions... just want to be the best mama I can :) Plus, I am afraid that if they fight I won't be able to stop it... it's only me and them in our home, so I won't have anyone to help me seperate them and that worries me. I will be investing in a couple break sticks though. Thanks again for all your help! So many people I talk to think I'm crazy for taking on 3 dogs that have DA tendencies... they don't understand that they're my family and the most amazing, loving, rewarding pets! Very thankful to have people who can relate, understand, and help along the way. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also... as a response to the daycare, that's a definite no-no? I thought it may be helpful with their socialization and seperation from me. I work full time and go to school part time... although most of my schooling is online classes. I struggle a bit with all the hours I have to put into work and school, and then of course each morning and evening I make sure they all have their individual walks and play time, which is about 3 hours, and by the end of the day I'm a bit overwhelmed. They're totally worth it, but I thought maybe a day a week at day care and they'd be pooped when I picked them up and I could focus on school without having to worry as much. Obviously I don't want to do anything that could be damaging though... does this usually prove to be a problem? I was going to send them to Camp Bow Wow... I researched and they seemed to have the best reviews, plus they have cameras throughout the facility so I can watch them at any point during the day, which was comforting to me. I thought that it would help them to have less aggressive tendencies, but if it could have the opposite result or any negative result then I don't want to subject them to that.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
There is no way to train dog aggression out of these dogs and the chances are high you will have to seperate all three at some point. But now while they are young you can help yourself along by doing a few things to prevent fights. These are the NEVERS of having multiple dogs
Never leave them alone when you're gone
Never feed them together
Never leave food type toys laying around for them to chew like bones or raw hides
Never leave toys down if they get upset over them
Never allow possession of an item like a trash can or you

Make sure you are the boss in the house not the dogs
and make sure you know how to break up a dog fight
Leerburg On Demand | How to Break up a Dog Fight

It's ever harder having littermates because they mature at the same time. JUst because they are littermates doesn't mean they will get alone as they mature.

Now if you follow these tips hopefully you can have them together longer.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
As pk said and you seem to know DA is in lots of dogs and I don't think potentially having my dogs life in another persons hands in worth it. I don't trust everyone to have the same feelings I do on off leash play on public property. A day care is public property. breed specific legislation can happens everywhere and just needs one incident it get haters sending fliers in the mail to area residents calling for bans. If my dog was isolated and got his own space and playtime I might consider a daycare I guess but then I would spend that money on hiring someone to come to my house to play or walk my pups instead of leaving them on public property. Camera are nice but how fat can u get there when u see something on camera you don't like?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts