Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the average lifespan of an ambully vs the true APBT?

What type of health related problems do ambullys go through that true APBT's dont?

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
All dogs have health issues some where in the ped lets say your talking about well bred dogs not just BYB's. APBT's lifespan is about 12-15 years in my experience and in my kennel. If you lose them early, cancer is to blame most of the time. Health issues can be from hearts, hips, elbows, and there are a few eye disorders some lines carry. If I am missing one guys feel free to chime in.
AMbullies I can not give a lot of info on since I do not know any but I do know they can have a lot of health issues depending on where you get them from. Muggle stone AMbullies for example are known to drop dead of heart issues from bad breeding. You have structure issues with some, hearts is another big one. With the fad breeding that went on many did not pay any attention to proper breeding and you ended up with a lot of health issues. Now that the standard has been made there are good breeders trying to fix that. You just have to find a good kennel. Lifespan as with any bigger dog will not be as long but my guess would be around 10 at least.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
I think the lifespan of a true american bully is around the same of an english bulldog. APBT are healthy doggies so they will def last longer.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
For the American Bully it all depends on who bred it ... and how it's bred the big xxl monsters typically don't see past 6-8 years old if that. There is so much inconsistency in how they are bred it's really hard to say but they are known to have heart problems and die earlier from cardiac related issues.

Apbt's like lisa said 10-15 years Lisa is pretty much right on the money.

If your going to get an American Bully you need to be careful where you get it and make sure that both parents are health tested mainly cardiac, hips, elbows. There are some good bully breeder's out there breeding conformationally correct and healthy bullies but your going to have to weed out the garbage to get to the good ones. There is a bully 101 section on here with a list of some good bully breeder's if your interested.

·
15 wins 3 losses
461 Posts
I would like to add a small snippit about health testing. There's a lot of BYBs here in the Bay Area and when I come across people who are "breeders" and ask about health testing, they usually reply with "Oh I take them to the vet regularly." So always be sure to that they actually health test their dogs.

That's all haha :)

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
True apbt? dont you just mean APBT

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
These are some of the notable old timers in the bully world....(note: all are alive)

Sadey Paddington- 14 yrs.
Blow- 12 yrs (if I recall)
R.E. Gamble- 11 yrs.
Manu- 10 yrs
Thee Rock & Mighty Joe- 10 yrs.
Lil Ro & Cai- 8 yrs.
RN Gotti- 8 yrs.
Thing & Samson- 8 yrs.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Thanks to Devin Phillips for the pics and info

Manu (pictured at 10) and RN Gotti (pictured at 8)

Blow pictured at like 8 or 9

CAI & LIL RO - I think they were like 6 in the pic together.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Too bad we can't list all of the Countless American Bullies that have dropped dead from health issues related to piss poor breeding. I think it's great to have a few healthy bullies that live past 10 years old but that doesn't mean it's common either. There are a lot of health problems that surround these dogs there is no hiding that. Most common Cardiac, Joint, Hip, Skin and Allergies due to blue on blue breedings. As I stated before you can find a good bully breeder but the good ones are not as easy to find. If your going to own one of these dogs I would look for some sort of health guarantee and health testing on both parent's before you shell out any sort of money for one.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I think for a bully I would say 8-10 but 10 being old for some but again breeding makes a difference. I am just guessing when I say 8-10 I do not know for sure. I will say I hear of them dying young way more than living old but hopefully with better breeding programs that will change.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Yeah Lisa me too I hear of them dying before 5 but that is usually those xxl big dogs .. I hope it changes as well with better breeding practices in place it should.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
It should also be noted that the blood of those dogs I mentioned above is nice and loose. None of them have 3x this or 5x that in their blood; however, they are all nice sized dogs and well put together.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My little guy lived to be 13 and likely would have lived even longer had the doc been able to catch the sceptic infection sooner. He slowed down in his older age, but was still very lively and driven (Just a bit slower). A friend of ours has an APBT that lived to 16 and has two currently living that are 13 and 14 respectively (They haven't shown any signs of slowing down either.) but as was stated above, if they go earlier it tends to be cancer. I've known a few APBT's that lost the battle with cancer between 2 and 4 years and they came from proven health tested parents. Proper breeding seems to produce the longest healthiest lives, of course life can always throw you a curve ball.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts