Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think thats a good weight for her shes a female shes probably gonna weigh less than males and a pitbull is a medium sized dog there only supposed to get to 30-60 pounds so ive read but i think you can put a weight limit on any dog:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
Your dogs weight is fine

There is no weight chart when it comes to APBTs so different bloodlines grow differently so really can't be compared

The growth and weight depend on several factors:
genetics
environment
food
health
exercise activity and other environmental factors

APBTs usually grow in height until 8-12 months and then fill out until they are 2-3 years old depending on the line they are from

TheBullBeastLover said:
i think thats a good weight for her shes a female shes probably gonna weigh less than males and a pitbull is a medium sized dog there only supposed to get to 30-60 pounds so ive read but i think you can put a weight limit on any dog:cheers:
That is actually the preferred weight but it is not set in stone some dogs dogs are slightly larger or smaller it is the proportions that are most important
 

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
Joined
·
8,761 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
NEELA said:
yes there is a weight chart
ukc
http://ukcdogs.com/RegistrationBreeds.htm
but it you're thinking of ADBA it says that the dog needs to be porportionate
Not to be argumentative , LOL.... but, actually I am correct. (FYI I am not a newbie and know the standard inside and out.)

Like I said there is no "weight chart" which would be a puppy growth chart, meaning that this person who asked if her pups weight is correct for the age there is nothing written anywahere that shows growth age weight on a chart.
The way a pup grows depends on all the factors I already listed. There is NOTHING that says anywhere what a 5 month old pup would weigh at different ages in the standard. However a good breeder keeps track of how their pup grows . So if this pup was from a breeder she could look at the line and talk to the breeder to get a better idea.

Also another helpful hint is that the pups weight at 4 months when doubled gives you the approxomate weight he/she will be as an adult

When I referred to the standard I was absoluteky talking about the UKC standard and said the below
here is my quote as referring to the weight the poster listed
That is actually the preferred weight but it is not set in stone some dogs dogs are slightly larger or smaller it is the proportions that are most important
and here is what the standard says taken from the below link:
http://www.apbtconformation.com/ukcstandard.htm
Height and Weight

The American Pit Bull Terrier must be both powerful and agile so actual weight and height are less important than the correct proportion of weight to height. Desirable weight for a mature male in good condition is between 35 and 60 pounds. Desirable weight for a mature female in good condition is between 30 and 50 pounds. Dogs over these weights are not to be penalized unless they are disproportionately massive or rangy.
Thus the weight is not set in stone. It is not like some breeds where the height and weight actually specifically designated and required for the dog to be considered within the standard

The APBT according to both UKC and ADBA standards needs to be proportionate and balanced.
 

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
Joined
·
8,761 Posts
Patch O' Pits said:
Not to be argumentative , LOL.... but, actually I am correct. (FYI I am not a newbie and know the standard inside and out.)

Like I said there is no "weight chart" which would be a puppy growth chart, meaning that this person who asked if her pups weight is correct for the age there is nothing written anywahere that shows growth age weight on a chart.
The way a pup grows depends on all the factors I already listed. There is NOTHING that says anywhere what a 5 month old pup would weigh at different ages in the standard. However a good breeder keeps track of how their pup grows . So if this pup was from a breeder she could look at the line and talk to the breeder to get a better idea.

Also another helpful hint is that the pups weight at 4 months when doubled gives you the approxomate weight he/she will be as an adult

When I referred to the standard I was absoluteky talking about the UKC standard and said the below
here is my quote as referring to the weight the poster listed

and here is what the standard says taken from the below link:
http://www.apbtconformation.com/ukcstandard.htm

Thus the weight is not set in stone. It is not like some breeds where the height and weight actually specifically designated and required for the dog to be considered within the standard

The APBT according to both UKC and ADBA standards needs to be proportionate and balanced.
:hammer: you're right about the puppy chart i misunderstood lol. what i was trying to say is that there IS a "cut off" to adult dogs! this is one of those calos mencia moments duh da duh lol. There are many dogs way out of standard, but i was reffering to if you were hoping the dog is to the standard. hope this clears it up on my end :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
there IS a "cut off" to adult dogs!
one of my pet peeves sorry so I am picky about it LOL, their is no cut off their is a preferred/ desired weight; if the dog is above or below that is not what makes it out of the standard the proportions do that.

For example :
If you had a 17'' male that was 60lbs, and compared him to a 19 1/2 dog at 65 lbs the larger of the two most likely would have the better proportions. Another example going in the other direction a 16.5'' female who is 28 lbs would be in proportion better though not exactly in the 'desired' zone than a 19'' 30lb dog IMO . I'm just pointing this out because many get confused on this part of the standard and dwell on the height weigh ratio without taking into consideration the more important thing which is the proportions of the dog.

You are absolutely right though in saying there are tooooooo many dogs that are way out of the standard. Having funky proportions not only affects that one part of the standard but often other things as well like angulation, chest, elbow and shoulder set, length of leg, thus movement and ability.
Form follows function. A dog can't function without proper form.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Patch O' Pits said:
one of my pet peeves sorry so I am picky about it LOL, their is no cut off their is a preferred/ desired weight; if the dog is above or below that is not what makes it out of the standard the proportions do that.

For example :
If you had a 17'' male that was 60lbs, and compared him to a 19 1/2 dog at 65 lbs the larger of the two most likely would have the better proportions. Another example going in the other direction a 16.5'' female who is 28 lbs would be in proportion better though not exactly in the 'desired' zone than a 19'' 30lb dog IMO . I'm just pointing this out because many get confused on this part of the standard and dwell on the height weigh ratio without taking into consideration the more important thing which is the proportions of the dog.

You are absolutely right though in saying there are tooooooo many dogs that are way out of the standard. Having funky proportions not only affects that one part of the standard but often other things as well like angulation, chest, elbow and shoulder set, length of leg, thus movement and ability.
Form follows function. A dog can't function without proper form.
Hmm i dont think neela was calling you a noob or what not but i have to agree with both of you although there is no specific weight the desired weigth was designed to root out the pure breeds from the hippos or bullfrogs or w.e you call them. I udnerstand you say theres no specific weight but would you rather have some 140 something pound dog called a purebreed apbt because there is no required weight size let that marinate for a minute but i understand both sides and im glad this is being debated =] expecially on my thread lol Jp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
Hmm i dont think neela was calling you a noob or what not but i have to agree with both of you although there is no specific weight the desired weigth was designed to root out the pure breeds from the hippos or bullfrogs or w.e you call them. I udnerstand you say theres no specific weight but would you rather have some 140 something pound dog called a purebreed apbt because there is no required weight size let that marinate for a minute but i understand both sides and im glad this is being debated =] expecially on my thread lol Jp
LOL I don't think she was either but since I am new on this forum I wanted to add that for those who don't knwo me :thumbsup:

I actually think the post opened up some good points for the thread and hopefully will help others learn too :). Yopu'd be surprised at how mnay own the breed and don't knwo anything about the standard or the breed history

I doubt a 140 lb dog LOL would be proportioned like a 'real' APBT thus that is why the standard has the proportion section written into it.

The standard is the blue print a good breeder uses when doing a breeding and it is used to judge dogs in the conformation ring. Unfortuntely when litter registrations are done you you don't have to prove your breeding pair or puppies meet the standard. This is where some BYBs take full advantage and run wild with whatevere they breed. You aren't going to see HUGE sloppy dogs winning any big shows IN UKC and ADBA but their are many registered that way

Also many think that all BYBs are mixing , but quite honestly I think some are and some are just breeding dogs that are not breeding quality as per the standard that are purebred.

It really comes down to if you breed :poop: to :poop: you get :poop:.
There are many genetic disorders that can pop up in breedings and add to that Not every pup is show quality and to standard even with the best breedings and in fact no dog is perfect and that is a lot of potential breeding pairs that shopuld be spay/neutered. So if the ones that should have been considered pet quality or even substandard are being bred mnay issues and more poor quality dogs are produced. It is a pretty vicious cycle.

That is why in 2004 the UKC standard for the APBT was even updated and made stricter and now the single registration policy for them is also being revamped. This helps ore to get a better handle on dogs being put into the gene pool.

Unfortunately, a BYB will always breed if someone is going to pay for their dogs :( because they are in it for the cash and not the :pup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Patch O' Pits said:
LOL I don't think she was either but since I am new on this forum I wanted to add that for those who don't knwo me :thumbsup:

I actually think the post opened up some good points for the thread and hopefully will help others learn too :). Yopu'd be surprised at how mnay own the breed and don't knwo anything about the standard or the breed history

I doubt a 140 lb dog LOL would be proportioned like a 'real' APBT thus that is why the standard has the proportion section written into it.

The standard is the blue print a good breeder uses when doing a breeding and it is used to judge dogs in the conformation ring. Unfortuntely when litter registrations are done you you don't have to prove your breeding pair or puppies meet the standard. This is where some BYBs take full advantage and run wild with whatevere they breed. You aren't going to see HUGE sloppy dogs winning any big shows IN UKC and ADBA but their are many registered that way

Also many think that all BYBs are mixing , but quite honestly I think some are and some are just breeding dogs that are not breeding quality as per the standard that are purebred.

It really comes down to if you breed :poop: to :poop: you get :poop:.
There are many genetic disorders that can pop up in breedings and add to that Not every pup is show quality and to standard even with the best breedings and in fact no dog is perfect and that is a lot of potential breeding pairs that shopuld be spay/neutered. So if the ones that should have been considered pet quality or even substandard are being bred mnay issues and more poor quality dogs are produced. It is a pretty vicious cycle.

That is why in 2004 the UKC standard for the APBT was even updated and made stricter and now the single registration policy for them is also being revamped. This helps ore to get a better handle on dogs being put into the gene pool.

Unfortunately, a BYB will always breed if someone is going to pay for their dogs :9 because they are in it for the cash and not the :pup:
:thumbsup: Thats every thing and a bag of chips lol you just sumed it all up and im with you 100%
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top