Go Pitbull Forums banner

3 month old puppy & Work

751 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ames 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

Wanted to ask a question about how everyone deals with working during the day and having a puppy.

I'm gone from 5:30 am to 5 pm during the week. I feel bad cause my puppy doesn't have anyone to take care of him anymore. So he's stays caged until I get home. He's so excited when I get home so I let him out, let him play, etc. Then I need to clean his cage for obvious reasons. I can't have him out cause I'm afraid he'll get hurt or damage something.

How does everyone deal with work and puppy?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
that's a long stretch for pups to be alone. and even adults shouldn't be in their crates that long.
i would have someone you trust, stop by during the day to give him a break and a little exercise. that much time in the crate will start to come out in behavioral problems. also some health issues from holding his urine and bowel movements too long.

#3 ·
Yeah that is too long for a puppy to be left alone, some would even say an adult should not be crated for 12 hours, but for an adult I dont think its a problem. It would be for an elder dog, but thats a way away. Especially if you want to start house training. You need to hire a dog walker to come through, or find a local person you trust like mentioned above. My dog walker was cheap charged me $25 a week to take my boy out for me 10 minutes, 5 times a week. When my boy was a year I was able to leave him alone for my entire shift, but I still have my sister go let him out for me even though he can be left alone. Totally leave in his crate as well. When you think your boy is past teething you can start little trips to the store to see how he does. Some dogs like wires and stuff they shouldn't, other can be shown whats OK. My dog didn't earn the right to be left crate-less until he was over 2 when he learned what was his and wasn't. BUT I still had to move the trash and recycling bins because he would tear them up no matter how much exercise he got before I left.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.