Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know i have posted about this alot but i thought i would be over it by now,Bailey goes in to be spayed friday at 11am , I have never been so nervous in my life and i have no idea what to do at this point . I love her more than anything and i just dont want to loose her, if anyone knows what can help me than thanks,lol . I know it wouldnt been good to be nervous cause then she may feel like i need protected or something ? If im like this now i can imagine how i will be friday , ugh i need some help !

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I've missed your previous posts about this so please excuse me if we're going over old ground here. Is she just going in to be spayed or are there other issues going on with her?

·
Super Moderator
4,626 Posts
If it's just a spay, it's easy peasy. I had my Chihuahua done this year and she was good to go in a day. She's a low energy dog so she just curled up and slept most of her recovery time. Just keep your dog from running around all crazy and she'll heal quickly. I gave chili baby asprin since they didn't give her any pain meds to take home. She really only needed them the first day. No worried though, it's pretty routine.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
I was a bit worried when I took my pup into be spayed. But I knew she would be ok. And she came home that day too,a little drugged,but she recovered,and I had to get her to chill the next day,so she didn't rip open her stitches by playing.
She never bugged them,or needed her cone! I'm sure your pup will be just fine too.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
She just came out of season so you have increased risks, you could have waited to lower the risk but you said you wanted it done for free. There is alway a risk when they just come out of season if you want to avoid that risk then wait to spay. Also free clinics do so many dogs at once the quality of care if not as good as if you went to a regular clinic. They provide very minimal care for the dogs since every thing costs money and they are doing for free. If you wanted to wait and do it right it would cost more but at least your dog would not have the added risk of just coming our of season, have pain meds, have more quality time instead of being rushed, and proper blood work before spaying. Your pup should be fine but you have a lot more risks than your average spay.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
I think it depends on the clinic. The one I took Beia to did all the bloodwork, spayed gave shots and microchipped for free. Of course they only take pit bulls,and they only do a few each month,so there is a waiting list.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
What I did was put a bunch of clothes from my laundry basket in a pillow case so when my boy woke up from being put under he could smell my scents and not be as anxious. My boy was big and they ended up keeping him overnight to make sure he would not be too excited to be home and do something to the stitches. Good luck and I am sure it will be fine! I was also very very nervous.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone,they told me she would be fine but i still worry , she will be getting spayed,ears cleaned and shots updated oh and also her exam . She has been out of heat for about a week now and they said even if she was in heat it wouldnt be a problem . Once she is sedated i will be fine but as of know i am nervous ! I have to bath her,which she hates and get everythng ready for her tomarrow . Also she is going in at 11 so should i feed her before we leave or no ? Im afraid she will get sick in the car , and its free because of all the donations everyone has gave and its my dogs vet also which makes it even better,so while shes getting spayed im gonna go buy some new stuff for her ! :)

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I was told no food after 7pm for my dog who went in the next day. They want to make sure the belly empty for the surgery, just like when people go in. They should have told you about the food though, that seems weird.

When my boy was neutered he had a bad belly for a LOOONG time after. Could have been from when he was put under or from the antibiotics messing with his natural bacteria's in his belly. His finger nails also got some weird line on them due to the antibiotics. Just some things to look for if you notice and not to worry about.

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
Do not feed the dog after midnite tonite. nothing in the morning either. it will cause nothing but trouble if she pukes with the tube in her. they would have told you that when the appt is made. if she goes in at 11am, you will prob pick her up no sooner than 4 pm. see if you can get her to pee before the car ride home. give her water then, see if she'll nibble some chow but dont force it. crate her and keep her quiet for 24 hours. just make sure she doesnt lick or damage her stitches.
suprised they would do this so close to her cycle but thats between you and your vet. mine wont touch it for another month at least. Ive spuetered about 200 dogs and never had any bad things happen so dont worry about the what if's. your both going to be fine!!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
whats the criteria for gettin a free spay neuter? can anyone go in and get that or does it go by what the person makes? just curious we have cheap spay and neuter for low income families but havent seen a free clinic up here yet thought that was more for rescue animals, very nice of people to donate to that though.

·
Registered
901 Posts
In my area, Humane Ohio does it ever 3 mths they offer free spay/neuter for 200 pit bulls. (people donate to cover the costs) no criteria other then it being a pit bull type and you have to make an appointment. In between time they do low cost. They ask if you are disabled, on medicaid/medicare, welfare and it's cheaper? If you don't fit in that category the cost is $60. Which was a lot less then my vet was asking. They usually advertise on the news and they have flyers telling you when it is happening. I would contactyour local animal clinic. I googled free spay/neuter clinics in my area and found them.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Do not feed the dog after midnite tonite. nothing in the morning either. it will cause nothing but trouble if she pukes with the tube in her. they would have told you that when the appt is made. if she goes in at 11am, you will prob pick her up no sooner than 4 pm. see if you can get her to pee before the car ride home. give her water then, see if she'll nibble some chow but dont force it. crate her and keep her quiet for 24 hours. just make sure she doesnt lick or damage her stitches.
suprised they would do this so close to her cycle but thats between you and your vet. mine wont touch it for another month at least. Ive spuetered about 200 dogs and never had any bad things happen so dont worry about the what if's. your both going to be fine!!
Yep Dave is right!:goodpost: Don't feed or give the dog ANYTHING to drink after midnight! And nothing in the morning before surgery no water no food the dog must be on an empty stomach. The surgery is completely safe you have nothing to worry about.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
In Tacoma, WA they have a free spay neuter,chip and shot program through coalition Humane/Bullseye. for pit bulls only.

I think Coalition does a seperate on for cats too. But they have a big BYB problem in Tacoma and fighting,which is why they offer such things for free. Most families can't afford it otherwise.

For pit bulls you don't have to make a certain income,you just have to live in that county I believe,and attend Bullseye's Pit Bull education semenar.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
In Tacoma, WA they have a free spay neuter,chip and shot program through coalition Humane/Bullseye. for pit bulls only.

I think Coalition does a seperate on for cats too. But they have a big BYB problem in Tacoma and fighting,which is why they offer such things for free. Most families can't afford it otherwise.

For pit bulls you don't have to make a certain income,you just have to live in that county I believe,and attend Bullseye's Pit Bull education semenar.
you mean tacompton

·
keep it REAL
971 Posts
Hope all goes well too. I had to have a female fixed too, she had a complication to first cycle, and she was deemed un breedable. Its kinda hart to keep her trim fit now, but she has a loving home, and always will.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well we are leaving in about an hour or so from now,i will update everyone when we get back , im more nervous than i have ever been but im gonna get this done and over with cause if i dont know i would probley change my mind .Poor Bailey dosent even know its coming , i just wish i had more sleep lol :sleep:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:woof: They didnt take her back until 2 but she loved everyone and i cried when they took her back , i hd to wait until 5 to bring her home cause they wanted to make sure they was all okay, they even had vets there from a few hours away , they had over 100 but they have to do the other half tomarrow (50) .

She was given pain meds and a rabies shot and shes whining a little but HAPPY ,extremly happy to be out of the car . She dosent have to go back because she got the disolveable kind , i was amazed at how she done,she loved everyone and they got her ut of the crate not me ! She even played with a basset hound , i love her and im so happy to have her back home ! And while waiting for 5 hours i done a little shoping for her ! :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.